Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok sorry guy 1st day already questions and problems lol went out this morning battery dead as a dooor nail . now i see the light on my dash Taillight lit up ok i have no manal so ... whats that mean and could it cause it to drain my battery ? thanks templing

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

ok i jumped it run it 30 mins it must have charged some but it wouldnt start after but had some juice i had dash display and all just not eought to turn it over. so now could it be am alt (god i hope not ) or any ideas am lost at this point templing

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

hmmm no oil light???, no neutral light????, set into neutral and get the clutch lever to the grip and try again

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

no had oil and nuetrul light i was playing with wires behind the seat at sometime when i was looking so i dont know what i moved now the taillight went out and its working hummmmmm so now am worried about riding it if it charges now templing

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Can you let us know what model and year you have? Have you measured batt voltage(disconnected)? What taillight do you have(LED)? pretty general question

PS Hope you are not jumping from car?????????

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Sounds like your bike has a tail/brake light sensor. It is to warn you if any bulbs are burned out. It is under the seat on my '85 1200. A black plastic box about half a pack of cigerettes in size, with 1 wiring connector. I would charge the battery first and make sure it's good.

Let us know the results!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

84 aspencade the batterys new just picked up my charger charging now see what happens and going to look unseat now thanks templing

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Something else to consider... you said the bat. was dead in the morning.. you may have turned the key past off and onto the P (park not lock) position. This will turn on the tail lights and thus kill your battery.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

You say your battery is new. Did you charge it before installing it in your bike? When I bought my battery it was dry and I had to add the acid to it. It then required charging before I installed it.

Ifyou did fully charge it before installing,I would take it to a local auto parts store (AutoZone, O'Reilley....) and have them load test it. (They will do it for free) Even though it is brand new, it could still be bad and not be holding a charge.

If you have an Ammeter, remove the + cable and install the ammeter between the battery and the cable and let us know what kind of amperage the system is pulling. (Do this with the key in the OFF position so thatno lights, radio, or anything else is running)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ok guys i think i might of put in park and left it on but am not sure , but now i keep getting the tail light light coming on and then it goes off i cant tell why or where still.

also call me dumb but i cant get the seat off all the way i loosed the bolts in the back i can leftit up but i cant get the front up and i didnt want to break it. i tred sliding forward ,back ect what am i doing wrong there i wanted to check the wiring under the seat. now am afraid to ride it till i get that figured out and if am just stuipid and left it in park mode or its something else. and i wont even go into the rest of all the bad thing that happen to me to maybe am crused lol

templing

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Dude relax, it's a 20 year old bike, things will happen.

The "taillight" light on the display should come on with all the others when you first turn the key to start, it then goes off. If it comes on at other times it's cause there's a bulb out or atleast faulty.

As for the seat, lift up on the release lever under the tank lid and slide the seat back... keep lifting on the lever and pull up the front of the seat.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks sorry just i really only had today to work on it as i am working 2 jobs from about 4am till about 8 pm everyday exept fri and mon sat i work 8 till 5 so.. if i wanted to ride it this week i had about one day to fix it till next sunday or at 830 or 9 in the evening.

sinceyou guys are the most knowageable group on these bikes.i put out an sos. all my other bikesever had was brake lights and turn sigs lol wasnt to many things you cant find. thank you all for your input. i learned alot todayso i guess i'll check bulbs now heheh thanks templing

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

If you did leave the key in the park position, a bulb may have burned out before the battery died. That would explain the dash light staying on now.

The sensor box went bad on my 1200 and the dash light stayed on almost all the time. I removed the white wire from the connector plug to shut off the dash light.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

well when the light is on all my rear lights are out not just 1 when the light goes out all my lights are on am looking for a a short or something i think not having much luck atm i cant seem to recreate this on and off stuff templing

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Templing, what bike do you have? :baffled: That might help things.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I didn't see the post where you said what you have.

To remove the seat, remove the two bolts either side of the seat and then inside the gas door, aft of the gas cap, there is a lock. It is kinda tricky if you have big hands but you have to push down on the center part and pull up on the outer part and while holding up and with the other hand, slide the seat aft. The seat will then be off.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

ok i removed all my blubs cleaned then then replaced them. still no lights then i took all male felmale connections apart cleaned them. somewhere amonkest all this poof i have lights so i turned the bike on 20 differant times moving all the wires and lights they stayed on.

so.... now this was the most times it worked so.. then i put everything back together seat and all tryed it still working so then i started it to see if the battery was still holding (i think i might of messed up and did that park thing with the key i didnt know about) so i sat on the bike thinking maybe am making a short with wieght on the bike somewhere still working atm so.. now i guess i wait till tommorrow try agian am not sure what or how its working but out id say about 30 times i turned it on it worked.earlier today it would be like evey 4- 5 times no lights. btw brake light worked all the time just rear running lights so am still up for and info or guess you might have since am about out. thanks templing

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you might have had a loose or dirty connector in the tail light circuit that would look like an open (burned out) bulb to your tail light sensor. Wiggling or pulling a connector apart and putting it back together might temporarily clean it up enough to work for awhile. If you leave the switch in park, and your tail light is working properly it will be on and that will drain the battery overnight.

You should charge up your battery, then check the voltage across it's terminals with the engine not running. Start your engine and recheck the voltage with the engine rpms around 3500 or so. The voltage should be about two volts higher than with the engine off if your charging circuit is working right.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

Mine did that same exact thing, there is a fuse in the box underthe gas tank. cant remember for sure which one it was now, but it somehow it got all cruddy and wasnt making a good connection in the slot you insert it into, might give that a once over

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.