Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, so I got home from work thursday morning, parked the bike, closed the fuel petcock, the usual. Is snowed friday night and has been 30 or below all day today. I went out to fire the bike up to make sure I keep it running until I decide to winterize or try to ride all winter.

First try, starter spins but does not catch.

Second try, starter catches, but the motor spins slow and the battery slows down and to a crawl. I stop, hook it up to the charger, and wait a few minutes (usually all it takes).
I go to turn it over again and get a squeaking/squealing noise like the starter is trying to turn but just can't.

30 minutes later, I try again. I now get a solid clunk from the starter solenoid at the battery, and the headlight goes out, but nothing else happens.

Is my starter screwed here? or is this just from the cold? It has always had a hard time turning over in the cold. How can I check? Should I bump start it just to make sure the motor is okay?:(:(

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Could be thick oil..it's really hard on starters..warm it up with a ligth or oil heater stick or??? drain it, heat it up on the stove and pour it back in??? but tell don't the wife...just to see if that's all it was...

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I will run a heat gun on it tomorrow. I just get concerned that I get no reaction at all from the starter now.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

First I would check and make sure the battery is good. First cold of a winter sometimes takes a battery out. Make sure battery connections are tight. You might try to start with a set of jumper cables from a good battery.

Next check the dog-bone 30A fuse. Last spring the one on my 1983 GL 1100A worked enough to run the radio, lights, etc. but would not carry the current for the starter. Sounds like your problem is the same. Removing the dogbone, it just fell apart. We replaced it with inline fuse holder and a plug-in 30A fuse. Fixed the our start problem.

The engine will turn over slower with cold oil but I don't think that is what you have wrong. Could be the starter I guess, but doesn't sound like it to me.

Good luck, guess I should have shipped your Gremlin Bell Priority Mail.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

could be several things. 1. Thick oil 2.corroded connections 3. poor brushes inside your starter 4 weak or dead battery. You can try to jump it and or bring your battery inside and charge it up and try again. Thump the starter with a screw driver handle and see if it catches. If it does it's got worn out brushes, or at least a lot of carbon inside. Good luck. If you need a starter Stocker starters has them at a descent price.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

take the plugs out see if turns faster...in that cold anything could be defective
you running thinner oil?...batt power cables have had it!!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

UPDATE---Okay, so I went out today and bump started the bike (I live on top of a hill) and got it to fire up and run. Let it warm up for about 15 minutes, killed it, and tried to start it again.

I still get the loud click at the solenoid, but no action on the starter. If I give it a couple taps with a hammer, I can get it to start making the squeaking noise again--like it is hung up on something.

Do I need a new starter? Or can I take this off and unstick it?

I appreciate any and all help I am getting on this.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

i just read a bunch on this on Randakk's site and he suggests to just buy a new one rather than try and rebuild.

I don't have a clue personnally as I have never had to work on a starter:baffled:

great help ain't I :shock:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:
by the way I was stationed in wurzberg for 3 years in the mid 80's beautiful country

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

I would try the new starter. If battery is fully charged and you put a voltmeter on it should read about 12.6 volts if you try to start and it drops to 9 volts or lower the starter is bad. if no drop in voltage check to see if you are getting voltage to starter if so starter is bad . no voltage there can be solinoid.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Starters can be rebuilt they sell kits for $30. But you need to take it apart first to see if it's worth rebuilding. If the commutator is worn to far it's not worn it, 17-8 in manual . There has to be enough height to them to file down the spaces between them. All the other stuff that wears comes in the kit. Be careful when removing the positive cable don't let the stud spin or you will break it's connection.

On new starters the Chinese ones are crap at least that's what most say who have tried them, don't last very long so be careful if you buy new. OEM are very expensive and used you just never know how long they've got left in them. I have several spares.

Tapping on the starter with a hammer/screw driver that makes it work is usually a sign of bad brushes or a lot of crap built up on the brushes or commutator. But a bad connection will produce the same result. So as said above remove and clean all the connections to the relay, starter and battery and see if it changes any thing. Also test the battery under load(starting) it should stay above 10v's if not bad battery.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

It can not hurt to checkout thestarter internally. Makes for a good winter project.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

clean it out and check the brngs and brushes...worst case is you have spare parts for your future ones.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Like I said earlier, you have carbon build up and warn brushes in your starter. Tapping it with a hammer or whatever freed up the brushes enough to make contact. You can take it apart and rebuild it or buy a replacement starter.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

well did you figure it out yet :baffled:Hope you got it taken care of.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

No, I have not dug into it yet, as I have not had time. My parents just got in country so I have been busy with that. I was really hoping to have it fixed before my dad got here :(

Oh well, hopefully I will be able to play with it more over the next couple of weeks and test it to find the issue.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Hi there guys!

Joe from Singapore, all the way from the far east! I own a 94 GL1500SE, and I was reading on this thread.

I had a similar problem, initally there was cranking, then just the solenoid click, and could not start the engine up.

I changed a new battery, and changed my alternator to a Compu-fire. Same problem still. I had my mech to take the starter out, and we came to the conclusion that the brushes were worn out. I had 2 options:

- change the starter

- repair the starter

I did the latter, and my bike had been starting up fine since. For best results and assurance I would advise on changing the starter. However, if that option does not appeal to you, I really much believe changing the brushes will solve your problem.

As you guys would know, Singapore is a tropical climate, so no seasonal weather, just sun and rain throughout the year. I don't think the oil thickness will be the factor for your problem, although it may perhaps make the problem more significant.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.