Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First let me start off by stating that I have been trying to trouble shoot my self canceling turn signal issues. One of the forum members was kind enough to sell me an 84 turn signal housing that I scavenged parts from. I repaired the original burnt out solenoid and the actual switch in my housing with the new parts and now should have eliminated them from the problem.

The problem now is, as soon as I turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position I can here the solenoid activate and it pulls it in, which in turn allows the switch to return to the middle or "OFF" position.

Something is supplying power to the solenoid all the time once the ignition switch turns on, so I first thought of the turn signal cancel unit by the battery. I swapped it with another one that I had but the problem still persists. I also tried taking the turn signal cancel unit out of the system completely by unplugging it but something is still supplying power to the solenoid. I also thought of the angle sensor under the steering head assembly and it shows continuity in the left and right positions when I turn the handlebars. I'm not sure if I tested this correctly but think I did.

I am at a loss as what to do next. Do you think that both self canceling units are bad and that I should try another one? I was studying the wiring diagram and see a black and white wire that comes the speedometer. I am not sure where this wire comes from maybe I should look into this a little further and see if I can find anything out.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I dug a little further and found this turn signal cancel relay located under the ignition coils. It was a real PITA to get to also. After removing it from the circuit it no longer supply's power to the solenoid. Upon further inspection I also noticed that the plastic housing is cracked and something has melted and seeped out of the crack. My guess is that something shorted out inside there and is the culprit I have been looking for. Please see the following pics for reference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Here is the next pic that shows the seepage. Am I correct in thinking that I should replace this and see if it fixes my self canceling turn signal circuit?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

I'm no electrical expert but I think you answered your own question, anytime a solenoid leaks it has to be changed. Or relay, looks to have gone to ground inside.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

pretty much your only choice at this point

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Sure looks like your problem. I may be wrong but i don't think our bikes (1200 Interstates) have angle sensors.

Good Luck Jim

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Sure looks like your problem. I may be wrong but i don't think our bikes (1200 Interstates) have angle sensors.

Good Luck Jim
There is an angle sensor in the bottom of the steering head. It is apart of the self canceling turn signal system. When the steering head makes contact, either far left or right during a turn it completes a circuit and the control unit uses that signal and the one from the speedometer to determine that a turn was made and at what distance after the turn was made to shut off the signal.

In the diagram below the sensor is items 3 and 11. Items 4 and 6 also go with it but are a sensor cover and wire support to prevent dirt and corrosion in the assembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

So if i read what you say correctly it's a mechanical trip/contact made by the steering head being turned,which in turn triggers a timed out switch, which is fine and has worked for me 25+ years. But i wouldn't call that a true angle sensor.

The important thing is you get it fixed !

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.