Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a 1980 gl 1100 i rebuilt the rear caliper and rear master cylinder i bled them no air is in the system i used my vacume bleader for both front and back the front brakes are new as well as the back fresh brake fluid im used to riding a honda shadow 750 i just moved up to this goldwing maybe the size and weight is what i am experiencing

when riding the front brakes dont seem to be as "sharp" as what i am used to with other bikes i know you have to use both front and rear there is no vibration or dragging as far as i can tell they work but are just not as grabby as what i am used to on the shadow like i said maybe it is me just getting used to a much larger bike

any help on this issue would be appreciated

thanks to everyone

big a

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think a large part of the difference is the much greater weight of the 'Wing. When you overhauled the brakes did you check out the pads? If they are glazed a bit that will reduce the braking performance. One thing you could do would be to sand the surface of the pads to remove any glazing and use some sandpaper on the brake disks, give them a bit of a swirl pattern with some fairly coarse wet/dry paper.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

I'm just getting my wing together, have had NO time in the saddle on it. However, I've read a lot about upgrading to stainless braided brake lines. If your old lines are original, that makes 'em about 30 years old... lots of give there.

My 2 cents.

Todd

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

yes upgrade to stainless hoses and also take one hose to each caliper as oppose to splitting.

even with that the wing is a but heart stopping on breaking. Just grip with your butt if it all gets a bit fierce!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

The first thing I would try is new OEM, repeat OEM pads.
I've tried aftermarket and always found them to not have the immediate grip and feel.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I really haven't noticed much difference in performancebetween EBC organic pads and Honda OEM pads other than the lower price of the EBCs.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Never used anything else exceipt EBC. They don't eat discs and they are good in the wet. As said before when the brakes are not as good as your modern twin pots the more you can trust the pad the better.

Never forgot the first time I rode a bike with ABS. I thought I'd thrown an anchor out he back!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.