Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing this dash panel on my 1982 GL1100I could someone help me with the wiring schematic I know the green wire is for ground and I am pretty sure that the Brown wire is positive for the light but not sure where to hook up other wires looking for some assistance and guidance Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Jeffery,
Pretty hard without a brand and model number. Can barely tell the color of the wires. MAYBE a picture of the back will give a few more clues. Just not enough info right now. Sorry. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also believe that you could find this gauge panel on 1980 and 1981 Aspencade models

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
That helps a lot. Might be able to decipher with just a little more help. Could you identify each gause from left to right and the color of the wires on each. Can't read the writing in the picture though some are obvious.

·
Administrator
58,948 Posts
the voltmeter can be connected to the Accessory terminal, it will read a few tenths of a volt low, but it will be something like 13.3 when the actual volts are 13.6 or 13.7..... gives you a good idea of the status of the charging system.... do NOT connect it to the Running Lights, as that voltage will vary all over the place.

the backlight will be connected to the running light wiring, as will all of the instrument light wiring.

the oil pressure guage will need to connect to the oil pressure sensor, which is a ground point ( variable resistor actually ). that means the positive side, IIRC, actually needs 7.5 volts which originally came from a 7.5 volt regulator the for gauges.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That helps a lot. Might be able to decipher with just a little more help. Could you identify each gause from left to right and the color of the wires on each. Can't read the writing in the picture though some are obvious.
From left to right is a volt meter the second gauge is a ambient Air temperature gauge the third gauge is an altimeter the forth gauge Is an analog quartz clock each gauge has a green wire and a brown wire the clock has a red and black wire on it that I believe red is to Battery and black is to ignition the volt gauge has a black + wire on one post and a Green wire on second post

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Was the panel OEM from Honda on an Aspencade? Things like the altimeter will need appropriate sensor unless it is incorporated in the gauge. Then it would seem reasonable it needs power and ground only.. It is possible the panel was used on a fuel injected SEI or LTD then the info might be extracted from the bikes ECM??? It seems like you have a pretty good handle on some of the gauges. I wonder if an altimeter would use info from a bikes Baro sensor? Guess that one wouldn't be too important unless you plan on adding wings. :)

EDIT: Again if the gauges came off a fuel injected bike the ambient air temp could come from the bikes ECM. Wonder if more information could be had from the Fuel Injection Supplement. I have one but not sure if it is on this computer. I'll see if I can find more info but maybe one of the fuel injected guys will chime in. We have a couple that are very sharp on the FI bikes.

·
Administrator
22,281 Posts
I'm pretty sure the gauge set was optional for the 1100 OEM fairing, so no later than '83, and no FI.

I might be easier if on the pic of the back, the wires were positioned in a way that makes it clear where they originate. You know, left gauge - wires go off to the left. Second gauge wires go down, third go up, and forth to the right.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
From left to right is a volt meter the second gauge is a ambient Air temperature gauge the third gauge is an altimeter the forth gauge Is an analog quartz clock each gauge has a green wire and a brown wire the clock has a red and black wire on it that I believe red is to Battery and black is to ignition the volt gauge has a black + wire on one post and a Green wire on second post
Regarding the clock: Yes, Red would be the "backup power' for the clock when the ignition is OFF. Black would be power from the ignition. You probably have a "Backup" fuse on the bike...!!

Green is normally a ground wire, Brown is normally a power wire.

Yep, Gauges on the GL1000 and GL1100 bikes were powered from a 7.5 volt unit. It reduced the voltage from 12 down to 7.5. If it failed, the fuel and gas gauges did not work...! Don't ask how I know....!!!! I rode a GL1000 for 14 years.....!

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Pretty simple, green wires to ground, brown wires to lighting circuit, red wire to always hot, black to switched power. Had one just like it on an 83 int.

Reactions: GJeffrey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was the panel OEM from Honda on an Aspencade? Things like the altimeter will need appropriate sensor unless it is incorporated in the gauge. Then it would seem reasonable it needs power and ground only.. It is possible the panel was used on a fuel injected SEI or LTD then the info might be extracted from the bikes ECM??? It seems like you have a pretty good handle on some of the gauges. I wonder if an altimeter would use info from a bikes Baro sensor? Guess that one wouldn't be too important unless you plan on adding wings. :)

EDIT: Again if the gauges came off a fuel injected bike the ambient air temp could come from the bikes ECM. Wonder if more information could be had from the Fuel Injection Supplement. I have one but not sure if it is on this computer. I'll see if I can find more info but maybe one of the fuel injected guys will chime in. We have a couple that are very sharp on the FI bikes.
This panel is Honda OEM gauges located on 1980 Through 1982 Goldwings you can also find them on the CB750 motorcycles Goldwings in the early 80s were not FI at all and none of these gauges have anything to do with Fuel injection other then the volt gauge the other 3 are more for show, the temperature altimeter and clock gauges I was more looking where to plug these gauges in the wiring harness

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Those gauges are stand alone, the temp gauge has a sensor attached which goes down under the front of the fairing, the altimeter stands alone, nothing else needed. They were an option on 1100s.

Reactions: GJeffrey

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Those gauges are stand alone, the temp gauge has a sensor attached which goes down under the front of the fairing, the altimeter stands alone, nothing else needed. They were an option on 1100s.
Never saw anything like it. Wonder why they put an altimeter on the bike?

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Never saw anything like it. Wonder why they put an altimeter on the bike?
Just something to sell. Not much of an altimeter anyway. You have to make a pretty drastic elevation change to see it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just something to sell. Not much of an altimeter anyway. You have to make a pretty drastic elevation change to see it.
Might be able to get it to move a couple needle-widths in Colorado... 🤣

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
GL500/650 Silverwing and 750F also used the same upper fairing as the GL1100 between 81 and 83. As others have noted, the gauge cluster was a Hondaline accessory for this fairing.

I installed this same gauge cluster on my GL500 many years ago. You are missing some parts, one of which will make it virtually impossible to install. When I went about installing, I did a lot of research to determine what I had and how to go about installing it. A Honda dealer (now closed) in the Chicago suburbs had online parts fiche information for parts lookup. I found two that were very helpful and have attached them to this reply.

The key part you are missing is a metal bracket that goes behind the cluster and supports/reinforces the mount to the fairing (#21 in the wire harness fiche). I would find it hard to believe that two screws at the bottom of the plastic cluster housing would secure the cluster to the fairing for any length of time.

Hard to believe, the factory fairing wiring harness had a facility for this accessory (and possibly for other purposes). However, you are missing the electrical wiring harness for this accessory, which has female bullet connectors to accept the wiring from the gauges and plugs into spade connectors just where the wiring harness enters the fairing (labeled SUB-WIRE HARNESS G in both fiche).

Clarion Type II radios had a similar panel, which went in the same area on the fairing as this accessory. However, all the gauges in the Clarion panel were digital, not analog. A full Clarion radio panel would consist of three sections: left – switchable clock or radio frequency display, middle – separate volt and ambient temperature, right – CB radio channel.

I was disappointed when riding at night; the backlighting was very weak for the volt and clock and almost non-existent for the temp and altimeter. Never did find brighter lights with a long enough reach. Before you go about acquiring the bracket, buying/fashioning a wiring harness and drilling holes in your fairing, hook the gauges up to a 12V supply and check the lighting in a dark space after letting your eyes to get acclimated. Unless you are interested in the uniqueness characteristic that will set your bike apart from others.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GL500/650 Silverwing and 750F also used the same upper fairing as the GL1100 between 81 and 83. As others have noted, the gauge cluster was a Hondaline accessory for this fairing.

I installed this same gauge cluster on my GL500 many years ago. You are missing some parts, one of which will make it virtually impossible to install. When I went about installing, I did a lot of research to determine what I had and how to go about installing it. A Honda dealer (now closed) in the Chicago suburbs had online parts fiche information for parts lookup. I found two that were very helpful and have attached them to this reply.

The key part you are missing is a metal bracket that goes behind the cluster and supports/reinforces the mount to the fairing (#21 in the wire harness fiche). I would find it hard to believe that two screws at the bottom of the plastic cluster housing would secure the cluster to the fairing for any length of time.

Hard to believe, the factory fairing wiring harness had a facility for this accessory (and possibly for other purposes). However, you are missing the electrical wiring harness for this accessory, which has female bullet connectors to accept the wiring from the gauges and plugs into spade connectors just where the wiring harness enters the fairing (labeled SUB-WIRE HARNESS G in both fiche).

Clarion Type II radios had a similar panel, which went in the same area on the fairing as this accessory. However, all the gauges in the Clarion panel were digital, not analog. A full Clarion radio panel would consist of three sections: left – switchable clock or radio frequency display, middle – separate volt and ambient temperature, right – CB radio channel.

I was disappointed when riding at night; the backlighting was very weak for the volt and clock and almost non-existent for the temp and altimeter. Never did find brighter lights with a long enough reach. Before you go about acquiring the bracket, buying/fashioning a wiring harness and drilling holes in your fairing, hook the gauges up to a 12V supply and check the lighting in a dark space after letting your eyes to get acclimated. Unless you are interested in the uniqueness characteristic that will set your bike apart from others.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Thank you for your comments I have the metal bracket already bolted to my fairing Sir I dont think anything but the clock works so I used the dash mount to fill the space between the speakers it looks nice even if its just for show

Hope this helps,

Greg
Thank you for your comments I dont think the gauges are in working order the dash panel fills the space between the speakers and it looks good even if it's just for show

1 - 20 of 20 Posts