Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I'm onto my next project for the old gal, I'm planning on replacing the fork springs with progressive, and changing the fork oil. Now I'm little on the heavy side, and tall, What weight fork oil should I try? keep in mind I'm 6'3", and around 270lbs.
For now I'm not planing on riding 2 up, but that could change someday.... It also looks like I have non air assist front forks, is it worth to convert over to air?The forks don't look to be leaking, and I have no records of any fork maintenance, would it be worth to tear them out and rebuild replace the bushings / sliders, or jet let them eat for now?

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

It seems 1500s don't like heavier than 10wt fork oil and be sure to not put too much in. Follow this thread on getting the level right. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/112695.html
You might want to replace the seals as a precaution but you are not really going there just replacing the springs so it's your choice. You will not need air in the forks.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Are we talking about your GL1500 or GL1000? I don't know much about the GL1000, but most GL1500 owners I know use 15w maximum for the forks.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sorry, forgot to say what bike. I'm working on the GL1500 now.

My GL1000 is torn apart and stashed all over my garage / attic waiting on a rebuild, Its next on my winter project list to start putting back together. I just got the frame painted....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.