Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm new to this site, but I'm hoping that someone out there can help.

I own a '03 Goldwing and I need to hook up an MP3 player for long rides. I was thinking of going on an IRONBUTT ride with my club this weekend but I'll need something to keep myself awake. I wouldn't worry if I was on some otherbrand of bike, because the fringe would keep me amused. . Well back to my request.

I just bought a 20GBApple IPOD with the intention of using theAUXcable to make the connection. Let me start by saying that the sound quality isgreat through the IPOD's ear pieces, and it works fine, standalone.

I don't think that connecting the AUX cable to the earphone jack on the IPOD is the correct connection method, but I don't know how elseit can bedone. The Honda owner's manual refers to hooking up devices to the AUX cable and that is all.

When the engine is off, the key is in ACC, and I touch the AUX cable to the IPODs metal housing, I get a humming noise from the speakers. Again, with the key in ACC and AUX connected to the IPOD's headphone jack, the musicsounds terrible (popping, tinkling noise, missing notes, etc.). I've tried different music recording formats, equilization settings, etc.on the IPOD. I've also tried all the settings on the Goldwing.

AFter 2 days of searching the net, I've seen several references to peopleusing MP3 players including one IPODusing the AUX cable, but there are no clear details. I've also seen a reference toa ground loop isolator, butI thought it's only used if both devices (IPOD and radio) were onthe same power supply.

I don't want to use an FM transmitter, because of the sound quality and that defeats the purpose. So, can someone who has done this give me some guidance on how to hook up the IPOD?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

Hello jdol:

I am using a Creative ZenMicro mp3 player on my 85 ltd. with the Belkin Tunecast II Fm transmitter and it seems to work very well so far. I have only used it twice this spring. So far so good. However if you do come across a better method that info posted to this site would be a great help. As well if I come across anything I will post it. Yukon Honda

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I have a Creative Zen 5gb on mine through the AUX cable without problems. I know some of teh other guys here use the ipod because jjambor asked us all about what we were using. In fact, jjambor is the man who makes the Kennedy Cellsets etc. so if you send him a PM he might be able to tell you what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

YukonHonda wrote:
Hello jdol:

I am using a Creative ZenMicro mp3 player on my 85 ltd. with the Belkin Tunecast II Fm transmitter and it seems to work very well so far. I have only used it twice this spring. So far so good. However if you do come across a better method that info posted to this site would be a great help. As well if I come across anything I will post it. Yukon Honda

Hey Yukonwhere on you bike did you install your mp3 player I have a sandisck 1.0gig with the belkin II just looking for the right place to put it so it sounds good

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hello all,

I hooked up my IPod to my neighbors 04 Wing and it worked and sounded great. Used the supplied AUX cable, tested through speakers and helmet, no issues at all.

I personally use the IPod on my 97 Wing :18white:with the ITrip FM Transmitter and find it to be very acceptable given freeway speeds and road noise. No it's not perfect since on long rides I might have to change the station a time or 2, other than that, I couldn't be happier. :D

Good luck

Rick

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Sorry forgot to mention. We even hooked up my daughters Memorex 256MB MP3 player and it worked equally as well

Rick

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

Hello WingWarrior: I have not installed the Mp3 player on the Bike as of yet. I just carry it in my jacket or my wife deals with it when she is riding with me. I would like to set it up direct if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this. Thanks Yukon Honda. Hey guys check this out. www.rideyukon.com

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Ah! Finally a question a newbie like me can assist with!:clapper::jumper::clapper:

The problem is that the audio signal you are getting out of the Ipod is an amplified signal. You also are getting grounding issues and other assorted electrical gremlins from using this hookup. Aux inputs need a line out connection (to say that"line-out"is not amplified would be a mis-statement because it does send out a signal that has "volume", it is just that it comes out at a set level, whereas an amplified signal is variable "volume".) Now, that being said... Apple uses the big arse data connection on the bottom of its Ipod (Why?you ask?... well to make more money on proprietaryadapters, silly!... one itty bitty stero port like the one there is for the headset would do it.)to run the three little connections required to give out an line-out connection...along with about a dozen other connections for data transfer, power transfer, and remote functions. I see that Apple offers a "home stereo kit" (see attached photo) that could be easily adapted to work as your "aux (line-in) output". It also looks like it would also make a nice mount for attaching your Ipod on your bike. I would take it to a reputable car stero installer or if you can find one, a local computer geek that has an electrical engineering background. (we can usually be found in cool dark places that emanate a strange glow from computer monitors and flashing lights from network equipment) Stripping the wires and attaching an adapterfor the audio (aux line-out)connection should be child's play, but the issue is going to be matching the power adapter that comes as a plug-into-the-wall AC to DC adapter with the "home stero kit". There are adapters out there that plug into the cigarete lighter, but I would have them make one that could be hard-wired to the bike and have a voltage regulator (kind of the equivelent of a home surge-protector power strip) to keep the 12volt power leveled out.... otherwise a 14-18volt surge could come through there when you hit the ignition and make a coaster out of your Ipod.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Scratch the above reccomendation for the home stereo kit, the below dock should be all you need... it has a line out port.... not sure about the power issue with this one, but it shoud be adaptable.... always nice not to go down the road burning batteries.

iPod Dock
Add an extra dock for charging iPod at work or at home. Featuring stereo line out, the iPod Dock connects to powered speakers, making a space-saving stereo.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Okay.... I read the whole description for it now... grrrrr... it takes either a firewire or USB 2.0 connection to get power.... now I guess I need to put a diagram in on the pin-outs (aka wiring diagram) for these connections.... I fear we may be dangling on the edge of the void now... if you happen to have a a fully fledged computer on your bike already, this may be a good way to go... otherwise my original reccomendation for the home stereo kit with some modifications would be the better choice. Gee, just when I thought I had a good, clearly stated reccomendation. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I use an Ipod almost everyday on my 05 -1800. I plug the AUX cable in, chose AUX, set the volume on the Ipod to about half way via the scroll bar, lock the Ipod from further input, turn the volume of the AUX WAY UP, as I like loud music to annoy cagers and go to work. Great, it has about 100 CDs on it and is only 3/4 full. If I can just remember where I stuct "Green-eyed Lady" I'll be alright. Just do-it, it'll work. The bike's power is not used, charge the iPod every night, no buzz or worrying about ground loops - they don't exist!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

here is an awesome but labor intensive way to install on a 1800 GW... still doesn't solve the amplified headphone port vs. the line out issue, but it does have excellent documentation:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ipod

Once I have my 82 GL 1100 restored to the point I think is good enough, I am going to install a Mini ITX computer system (and a 10 inch touchscreen between the speakers on the fairing. I plan to do have it running GPS, Dolby THX surround sound, and a full diagnostic program for the bike (temp, amps, revs, advance, fuel flow, etc...) I am building one for my 91 Mercedes SEL 560 right now and am ironing out the software issues along the way... wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
imported post

SOULVILLE USA SAID
Once I have my 82 GL 1100 restored to the point I think is good enough, I am going to install a Mini ITX computer system (and a 10 inch touchscreen between the speakers on the fairing. I plan to do have it running GPS, Dolby THX surround sound, and a full diagnostic program for the bike (temp, amps, revs, advance, fuel flow, etc...) I am building one for my 91 Mercedes SEL 560 right now and am ironing out the software issues along the way... wish me luck!
When you're done, I'll ship my bike out to you. Like the Smith's next door....I want one too!!!!! Hell I was excited about my FM transmitter and MP3 stick!

Kyle

A little inept, but I like the hightech!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

I'd like to thank everyone for spending the time to help me out. Sterling gets the prizefor having the first posting describing the problem. Sometimes the answer is right in front of your nose.

I should have known that theearphone jackis amplified. Also, I haven't had the IPOD long enough to understand all of the accessories that are available and what they do. So, I never considered that the edge connector hadline outputs. I was just going off other people's web posting about hooking up their IPODs directly to the AUX cable.

On some wings this may work without you noticing the bad effects especially if a quality recording is used directly from a CD or a different MP3 player is used. I just happened to have a CD walkman with an existing set of MP3s, which I used onthe IPOD. The Walkman also exihibits the problemwhen using the AUX on the earphone jack. It is much less noticable on a quality recording. So, anyone that is using the earphone jack should consider using the edge connector stereo line outputs as in Serling's solution. Otherwise, I'm sure they risk burning something up.

After realizing that the edge connection was the answer,I found a pinout for it today.All that seems to beneeded is the docking station that provides a stereo connector. The firewall cable does provide charging power and data transfer connections only and should have nothing to do with the stereo output. It is probably a good idea to power it from the bike, but that takes line conditioning,which I might save for phase 2.

I found that the Brits do have a retractable lineout cable that connects to the edge connector without power, but the connector is a male instead of female. http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk The Brits also sell a different type of docking station that plugs into the bottom and has the firewire connection, too.

I want to find a ruggedized semi-waterproof case to put the IPOD into,keep it in the left fairing pocket, and use a remote control to skip, fast forward, etc. The casewill probably rule out theApple docking station because of thethickness. So,I'm still searching for a solution, but I'm much closer thanks to everyone's input.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
here is an awesome but labor intensive way to install on a 1800 GW... still doesn't solve the amplified headphone port vs. the line out issue, but it does have excellent documentation:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ipod

I looked at this site before I posted my plea for help last night. I could not tell from the writeup how he was actually connecting the IPOD to the stereo. There is only one picture and it is not clear on this subject. Also, the main intent of the site isto use the existing wing controls.

I couldn't find a way to send him an email and his site only allows for comments where the last one was some time ago.

-Jeff

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I know that this is resurrecting an old thread but there may be members out there interested in my latest purchase. It is a3 in 1 charger, FM modulator & dock.

http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=90

Mine arrived today and I gave it a try on the good old cage. Just tune in an FM stn( 88.1, 3, 5,&7) find one that is clear and away you go. It adjusts to all sizes of I-pods.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
I know that this is resurrecting an old thread but there may be members out there interested in my latest purchase. It is a3 in 1 charger, FM modulator & dock.

http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=90

Mine arrived today and I gave it a try on the good old cage. Just tune in an FM stn( 88.1, 3, 5,&7) find one that is clear and away you go. It adjusts to all sizes of I-pods.
I bought something similar to this except it was generic and battery (1-AAA) that seems to work "ok" except there are 2-3 stations along that stretch of bandwidth here that are just strong enough to push through.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.