1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all....

Had 1997 1500 Wing in for a rear tire.

Got there to pick up and charger on battery. They said battery bad, died twice on them while there over the weekend.

We've been riding it since March and had no issues, so I told them had they turned the key off, the battery wouldn't have died. They then stumbled for words.

My problem now, and I HOPE it's not related to killing the battery off twice and burning something up, is that none of the dash indicators come on...mpg, radio, time, nothing...the little screen is dead.

Is there some button I can use to turn them back on or did something get burned out while the battery was being drained?

PLEASE help....
[email protected]

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

tobiano wrote:
Hello all....

Had 1997 1500 Wing in for a rear tire.

Got there to pick up and charger on battery. They said battery bad, died twice on them while there over the weekend.

We've been riding it since March and had no issues, so I told them had they turned the key off, the battery wouldn't have died. They then stumbled for words.

My problem now, and I HOPE it's not related to killing the battery off twice and burning something up, is that none of the dash indicators come on...mpg, radio, time, nothing...the little screen is dead.

Is there some button I can use to turn them back on or did something get burned out while the battery was being drained?

PLEASE help....
[email protected]

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!1
please fill in your location .like to see what part of the country you're in. don't want to go to that dealer.

hopefully, someone will help you as i'm not to familiar with the 1200

mark:waving:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

If all you were having done was the rear tire they shouldn't have had anything switched on for that.

If everything worked fine before they screwed around with it I'd make them fix it at their expense.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Monroe WI. And they've screwed stuff up for other people, too. THey hire kids who don't know what they are doing.

We also had something removed, just to take it off the bike as we didn't need or want it on there (was on it when we bought it), and what did they do? Tossed away all the bolts and brackets for it! So now they are digging to find them or replace.

And others who have gone there ALWAYS ended up with something else 'wrong' other than what they took it in for.

I know damned well that they just didn't turn the key off correctly. From either the run or off position, it's TWO clicks/turns to the other....and they ended up doing ONE click which positioned the key on Accessories. And you'd think that after doing it the first time, they'd pay more attention to why a battery might have died? OMG.

Then they have the nerve to put on the tire work order that the battery is bad. We've been riding it since March and it hasn't left us sitting once....but now twice while in their shop for a tire? PUH-LEEZE.

And it's a 1500 Wing, not a 1200 as someone mentioned. Thanks....

But I still would like to know why all those dash lights/indicators are suddenly not working. Could they have burned something out leaving the key on Acc. for 4 days???

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yah, I agree 100%. But PROVE they did something wrong.

Fortunately, I stopped by the shop on Monday, not realizing they closed at noon on Mondays, and saw the bike on the charger through the shop door window in the back. Got the trusty 'ol cell phone out and took pics....

On phone now with boyfriend who called the shop to inquire about this problem. They said they tested the battery and it has a bad cell and it must have blown a fuse. If it had a dead cell, wouldn't it leave a person sitting someplace? And wouldn't the bike not start if battery had a dead cell? And wouldn't other things happen?????

OMG.

And they won't stand behind it now, either.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you are in Wi? That sounds like the dealer in Wenatchee,Wa.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Take the battery out and take it to Auto Zone and have them load test it. This will show if it has a bad cell or not and get their report on it in writing. Once you have all this then see what it cost to take them to small claims court on the service or lack there of. I would even video tape the results of the testing at Auto Zone or where ever you take it.

Once all testing is done then find a reputable shop to check the bike over and document all the problems found and the solutions to correct along with the cost listed.

Document everything, highly important when going into court.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I called AZ and they said their tester would blow the battery up. :/ Farm and Fleet can't test either....too big a unit to test small batteries with.

I just cannot believe that it has a dead cell that has NEVER left us sitting anyplace since March, but suddenly killed the battery twice in 4 days at their shop? And now the instrument panel doesn't light up either?????

omg...

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

If you have not put in a new battery yet, you may not have enough power in it to light up your instrument panel.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

tobiano wrote:
I called AZ and they said their tester would blow the battery up. :/ Farm and Fleet can't test either....too big a unit to test small batteries with.
In the words of the immortal Col. Serman T. Potter "Horse Hockey". I walked my happy butt into an Auto Zone here in Joliet, IL. with battery in hand just a few weeks ago. They tested it with no issues.

If nothing in the dash moves or lights up (with a known good, fully charged battery), I'll bet a relay went bad. I don't remember which one right now. Good luck proving they goofed it up since relays can just up and die without warning.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

tobiano wrote:
....And now the instrument panel doesn't light up either?????
This has come up several times in the last few days... If it is actually damaged (and I hope not), it could have been caused by a highpower starter/charger being applied to the dead battery.. If the battery has high resistance (from old age or frequent discharges), applying this high power device will raise the voltages to the point that fuses, bulbs and solid state devices will be damages.. [INcidently, the charger doesn't apply too many amps in this case, because it can't.. but in its attempt to do so, the voltage goes up to its maximum which might be 25 to 30 volts...Also, the AC ripple of these units can damage DC circuits..]

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

tobiano wrote:
Yah, I agree 100%.  But PROVE they did something wrong.

Fortunately, I stopped by the shop on Monday, not realizing they closed at noon on Mondays, and saw the bike on the charger through the shop door window in the back.  Got the trusty 'ol cell phone out and took pics....

On phone now with boyfriend who called the shop to inquire about this problem.  They said they tested the battery and it has a bad cell and it must have blown a fuse.  If it  had a dead cell, wouldn't it leave a person sitting someplace?  And wouldn't the bike not start if battery had a dead cell?  And wouldn't other things happen?????

OMG.

And they won't stand behind it now, either.
It probably does have a dead cell now. They boiled a cell dry with all the unnecessary charging. To simply do a rear tire swap they had no need to turn the bike on. They probably hooked the charger up with the key in the acc position and blew a fuse or a relay. Obviously they are completely incompetent. Contact a lawyer. They should be liable for anything that wasn't wrong with it when you rode it in there.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Just a quick one Never charge the battery on your bike unless you remove the positive or negative terminal .The new Electronic charges can handle with removing leads but its still good practise to remove one lead ,the AC ripple from the charger can do a lot of damage .

it seems to me is the had the bike on to listern to the radio , flattern thebattery , just put a charger on it a damaged the battery and may be some of the circuits

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i agree with broke winger on this one. you said it yourself. you went there monday, took a picture of it being charged and they were closed.

guess what? battery over cooked before they came back to work. and it should not have been there in the 1st. place if they hadn't left the key on. they are liable.

good luck. hope you don't do business with them again.

also in your profile it still don't say your location and says you have a 1200, not a 1500

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

My wife drove her cage to her moms place and when she went to leave the battery had died. It happens. Never had a problem before or after replacing it. If a piece of crud breaks loose inside a cell there may not be much of a warning. We are used to a battery failing though age and having cold start problems but it isn't always so.

I drove my van home once, parked it in the garage and when I came out in the morninga tire had gone flat. If Ihad left it at a dealers Imight have thought someone messed with it.

As far as the dash lights it's a guessing game and I don't know the circuitry well enough to comment.

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

Monroe Wi Honda Dealer is now on my list to research complaints! Guess I'll continue to use Vereznik, Waukon Honda and Two Brothers. Like others have said get a good battery in and test (either buy another or borrow a good one from someone). I know money is tight right now for all, but a battery isn't all that much. If that is the problem then sorry to say I doubt it would be worth the lawyer fee to get legal regress.
On a side note, I had my ignition fail while I was at a dealers browsing. I just left it with them to repair. Turned out it was my ignition key switch. $12.00+75.00 labor and problem was gone. They did warn me that now voltage output was too low and wanted to have me bring it back later in the season to have it looked at. They think it might be my regulator is corroded.
Good Luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

What I would do is get the battery from them and get it checked out at a local repair shop or parts outlet. If bad replace it or if good have the place that has your bike reinstall it. Then check all fuses and relays. It's possible the battery was on it's way out and leaving the key on draining the battery finished it. It could have left you stranded on the road. Who knows?. Let us know what you came up with. Try to work with them and hopefully you might ride out from there. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

tobiano wrote:
And it's a 1500 Wing, not a 1200 as someone mentioned. Thanks....
You can update your profile, it has your motorcyle as a GL1200....:)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Your story sounds like the movie "Mask" with Jim Carey.

The car repair shop says he needs a new transmission. Carey responds " But I only brought it in a an oil change?".

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
imported post

If the shop used a standard automotive battery charger, chances are they cooked the battery dry. Yea, it will test bad now. Proven it is a crap shoot. Find a new wrench. Good luck.
mike

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.