Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone on here work on 1500's? I am looking to replace my timing belts on my 1992 1500and would like someone with previous knowledge to help me. I live in Arnold and can either travel to your garage or mine. I have read on these on here, but would feel more comfortable with someone who has done it before. I am willing to pay for someones knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I think by following Rudy's link you should have no problem. I did my 1100 a year ago. The hardest part was getting started. Lot of help listed here. I would suggest to make sure that you have plenty of time to do this job. Don't set yourself on a time frame that you have to be done by a certain time. Take your time and ask questions here if you need to. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

if you have any kind of mechanical skills. like know what end of a wrench to use, rudy's link and this forum will make an expert out of you. you have so much help right here its easy. you will even get pictures if you want. but if you really dont have any confidence in yourself. take it to a shop just for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Set aside a day for the job, and you'll find it takes 2-3 hours, especially on the 1500. Hardest part of the job is to keep the pully marks correctly lined up, and replacing the coolant. But the tutorials available here are great. Another good source of information are the routine and advanced DVDs put out by Illustrated Powersports, featuring the WingWorld tech editor and a helper. http://www.illustratedpowersports.com/

Best $72 I ever spent on reference material. Best regards, Dick

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the information. I will attempt it soon and let you all know how it went. My main concern is making sure things are lined up correctly and not messing anything up along the way. I can and have worked on most things myself, but when your talking about messing with your pride and joy I don't want to be walking I would rather be riding.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I too am getting ready to do my belts and I agree a that it is easy to psych yourself out before you get started. I felt the same way when I did my clutch. After some close study of the bike, reading the manual and consulting the boards here, I did it myself and the results are just fine.

Good luck!

Everrett

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, it's done. With the friendly help of another member on here the belts were replaced yesterday. Thanks to Ray's knowledge and his kind attitude of coming over and helping me through the process, I was successful in replacing the belts. What wonderful pepople are on here and willing to lend a hand to others in need. Thanks Ray for all your help.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

That a boy Ray..... here you guys, have a cold one.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Why don't you give some mana to Ray. Mana is very valuable to members here on the forum. So go looking for the mana section and give it freely.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

slevans168 wrote:
Does anyone on here work on 1500's? I am looking to replace my timing belts on my 1992 1500and would like someone with previous knowledge to help me. I live in Arnold and can either travel to your garage or mine. I have read on these on here, but would feel more comfortable with someone who has done it before. I am willing to pay for someones knowledge.
Send me a ticket and I'm on my way :cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1:

OOPs I see you aready did it

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Helping each other out is what this Forum is all about, right? Really all I did was stand back and say do this do that. But we got the belts changed out and had his bike started and running before I left.

:action:

The 1500 is not all that much different than replacing the belts on my 1100. Just a few more gadgets in the way.

:cheeky1:

Like I told him, I have a buddy from the GWRRA that is going to paint my bike once I get it all prepped. Wingers helping Wingers. That's the ticket!

BTW, I used something very similar to Rudy's technique when I did my belts also.

I did not worry about moving the gears, just marked all the way across the belt marking the wheel and the case as well (four marks on each belt).

Then I transferred the marks to the new belts being sure they stayed lined up. A large paper clamp works great here if you have one. Then put them back as they were taken off. If all the marks line up you can't go wrong.

:clapper:

Ray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.