Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi im building my own trike (see trike builds at the top of tech page) and i am now looking at how im going to build the body.i know in my head the design
i know what would be great to make the first patten mould from but theres a problem.the problem is i want to use a blue engineering foam which can be cut sanded even drilled etc.but it melts when you put fibre glass resin on it.is there any think i could coat it with to protect it from the resin.
thanks glenn/uk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

I have built several pugs for fiberglass parts, every thing from some of the popular kit cars of the 70's and home built aircraft to sewage treatment plant domes and barge covers. The best way I've found to isolate foam from incomparable resins is to paint the foam with latex house paint after you have the shape finalized. The new water based automotive paints mite also work.

Depending on the shape it's some times best to get it roughed out with foam and bondo, paint it with house paint and the put a layer or 2 of light wight cloth over that and then continue to workout the shape with with more bondo. Once you have the glass over the entire plug you don't have to be concerned about melting the foam. Once The shape is PERFECT spray it with gelcoat, buff it out, wax it ( 10 coats minim) and start building your mold from there. Personally I've switched to building body parts from aluminum and steel, ether way it's a lot of work.

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.