Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I got a lot of riding in yesterday. From 10 A.M. thru the afternoon. Was on my way back home when I pulled in behind a couple of Harley Ultra Classics at an intersection. The guy in the rear and his wife kept looking down at their back wheel and going very slow, so I hung back to keep traffic off of them. The front riders pulled into Wendy's in my home town and we all pulled in behind him.I asked if they needed help and they said they kept hearing scraping sounds from the rear wheel. We pulled the hard bags off and checked the brake caliper and nothing was wrong there. I looked on the other side and found the bolts holding the pulley for the belt drive were loose. He didn't have tools to tighten them so I told them that my home was about two miles away and we could go there and we could fix this problem correctly. He said he had just had the rear tire replaced the week before. We got home and I pulled each bolt out, put locktite on them and torqued them down so he is good to go. They got a big kick out of the tee shirt I was wearing. It said "Hardly a Davidson" on it. I was glad that we were able to fix his problem before they were hurt. They were very nice people and very appreciative.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Awesome job Dubswing,

One of our local bike shops in town has the motto, "It's not what you ride, it's IF you ride." Implying they don't discriminate against non-Harley riders. Unfortunately, they currently don't have a "metric" mechanic. "Metric" being a nice way to say, "Jap" bike mechanic!!!!!

You were definately their guardian angel that day!!!

Sincerely,

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Good job Dubswing!!:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

He offered to pay for my services which I would not accept. Just reminded them to stop if they see a biker on the side of the road. We have to help each other when we can. Thanks for the kind words.

Bernie

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
... I asked if they needed help...
Bernie
From Munchkins on Minibikes to Grandpas on Goldwings, it's all the same to me.

Birds of a Feather Flock Together.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

You would have really helped them if you had convinced them to buy a Wing. :D

Good job. I had a mechanical issue recently and was helped by someone who stopped for me. Given an opportunity, we should all do this. Many do, which is what makes the riding community so strong. Isn't that what the wave means: We're all riders and we stick together.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Bernie.... you're such a good guy, when you get to heaven, ST. Peter himself will present you with a brand new, gold-plated, Honda ST1300 already fitted out with a golden fleece for the seat...... you're a treasure, man..... even if you do pull mean tricks on sweet ol' CJ..........

(for those of you who have never met him, there's Bernie (Dubswing) himself on the left -- and a nicer guy you couldn't hope to meet! That guy with him that looks like a vintage Tom Cruise? Looks like a guy that can't find his keys? Well, that's me, sweet ol' CJ, and a worse guy you never wanna run into!)

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I did what I know each of you would have done. Especially you Tom Cruise, er CJ! The other "good deed" I did was keeping CJ from misplacing Red's Miata keys. CJ and I were sitting on a bench waiting while Red completed the paperwork on the Miata she bought while they were in Knoxville. She handed CJ her keys while she stood in line. CJ laid them on the bench while we talked and waited on Red. As we were leaving I noticed that CJ had left the keys on the bench so I got them and put them in my pocket. We went to get the Miata out of my friend's garage and Red asked for the keys from CJ. Of course CJ couldn't find them so they looked and looked and realized they must still be on the bench at the county clerk's office. I pulled the keys from my pocket and asked if they looked like these keys. Everyone was relieved, not to mention, "appreciative" of the joke I played on CJ! Now CJ owes me one and I will watch my back until he strikes!:D Sorry CJ, I had to tell!

Bernie

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

Good on ya Dubswing :waving:

Love it with a good joke comes together: pun intended. :waving:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

I helped out a fellow rider Sunday evening as well. I had been scuba diving in Panama City Beach Florida when the tropical storm kicked up suddenly. I had planed to ride over to Pensacola on Monday and dive the Orinskany, but with the pending weather I decided to make a beeline back to Indiana.

I was "hammer down" coming across that long bridge in northern Alabama on I 65, (I think its the Tennessee river?????) As I was coming to the north end of the bridge I saw a man pushing a large bike, I was in the "fast" lane, so it took me a little while to get to the shoulder, get stopped and then start walking my bike backwards towards the guy on the side.

He continued pushing it forward (slightly uphill) and I continued going backwards until we were side by side.

It seems he just had the clutch rebuilt in his Kawasaki (big V-Twin, but I dont remember the model), and the clutch went out again as he was coming over the bridge. He had pushed the bike over a mile in the 94 degree heat. I couldnt fix his bike, but I gave him three bottles of water, a cell phone with a fresh battery and I stayed with him for conversation until the roll back showed up (about 45 minutes after I stopped).

Poor guy had left Destin, Florida and was on his way to Denver, Colorado. His wife was flying into Denver, as it was obvious the bike was not made for a two-up cross country tour..........

We rolled the bike up on the roll back, he held the brakes while the tow truck driver started to strap it down.

I had the driver "hold up for a minute" I ran to my bike and I had a pair of soft straps to go around his handlebars to help prevent the chromed bars from getting scared up by the worn out tie downs that the wrecker had.

We got him loaded, tied down and they were headed on their way. The guy wanted to pay me, and when that didnt work, he wanted me to follow them so he could buy me a beer or something. I did give him my email, and told him I would like to hear from him on the out come of the situation. Hopefully it was something simple...............

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Last year I was on the recieving end of help. My wife and I were in Newfoundland and she had a broken bolt in the frame of her 1500 where the Insta Trike mounted. I carry a lot of tools, but nothing to do this job. It was Sunday and hot and stores were closing. We were in the parking lot of a motel in Stephenville. My thought was to head over to the "mall" and get a power drill, easy outs, etc. One guy stopped and said he would be right back. He came back with more help, a cordless drill, bits, all kinds of bolts, and some more hand tools. The bag and most of the side paneling had to be pulled.Before we were done we had a crouwd of about 12 folks all enjoying the event and offering suggestions. We got the bolt out, put the bike all back together and was good to go. Couldn't pay anybody, and one guy told me it was a good break in his day. It sure was nice to know I wasn't alone tho'....none were bikers currently, but a few said they used to own scoots....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

It's nice to both give and receive help, when that help is really appreciated.

Different kind of help I gave yesterday.
Mom's in the hospital for a minor thing, I'm headed home and at the entrance is a lady of 67 who has been waiting on a cab for 2-1/2 hours. No show, and she has called 3 of them.

I offered to just take her home, was on my route anyway.

You would have thought the world fell in she was so grateful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.