Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey everyone I'm a newbie and thought I would jump right in and ask for your help. I am trying to locate a open face helmet for my new Goldwing. I have a 2008 Titanium and finding matching helmets has been a little challenging so far.

With that said I would like to find one that I can add communications to at some point.

I'm currently using my old HJC Full Face but think that open face might be more suitable for the new ride.

Any suggestions and experiences you have with your helmets would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

~ Pete

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
imported post

all my helmets are hjc. i have one open face ( 3/4 ), one half helmet, and two fullface. i don't see where a ff helmet is not suitable

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Open face more suitable?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I like my HJCs. I have used the AC-3 for a couple years now, I dig 'em.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

CJ's picture convinced me to go with a full face modular. I have not regretted it ever. I use a G-Max and love it. It will take the communications equipment without any trouble at all.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

The GMAX GM44 (same that CJ is holding) is a comfortable helmet that is inexpensive. I bought 2 last here (after CJ's recommendation) and have not regretted the decision. Best price is at Motorcycle Superstore, and comes two visors. I don't think that they have a color match to the titanium, but I prefer contrasting helmets for visibility. I have the silver and I have the fastest color. :)

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
imported post

I highly suggest you get a white one for visibility

It don't hurt that white is often mistaken for an LEO :D

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

HJC makes a carbon fiber helmet that look great with the titanium color. It's also a very good (and light weight) helmet.

Jeff....

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
imported post

Hey WELCOME to the best forum on the net for wingers Pete!!!!:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone. Maybe I just need to get used to it but this is my first bike with a windshield and I find that looking through the windshield while wearing my full face helmet gives me this strange effect (looking through the 2 different shields) which is why I was thinking of going open face, well that and the lack of airflow that I am used to.

Every day I get more and more comfortable on the bike, today was the best so far since we finally lost all of the humidity that we've had for so long and the temps were down as well. I always wear a First Gear Leather when I ride so it was almost unbearable when it was hot / humid. I've heard that there are some wind deflectors that can help. Anyone have any suggestions or should I post that in another thread?

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

This might be a silly question but I've seen the GMAX GM44 helmet refereed to as a "Scooter" Helmet and I haven't seen anything that says that they are DOT Approved? I've noticed a lot of helmets missing the DOT approval. Is this just something that is kind of taken for granted or is it possible that some of them aren't approved?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the scooter designation, but GMAX's are DOT approved....at least mine are.....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

funhouse69 wrote:
I've noticed a lot of helmets missing the DOT approval.
Sometimes I even have to ask for one.

Different helmutts for different bikes.

Helmutts for the ladies.

Helmutts for the RR's.

Helmutts for the appeasement.

But most of the time, no Helmutt at all.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

They're DOT approved. Check out the Motorcylce Superstore, they talk about it there.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

I have had several helmets in my years of riding.

1. Full face Bell.

2. Open 3/4 face "R J Air" Shoei.

3. Open 3/4 face "Classic S" Aria.

4. Open 3/4 face "N-42" Nolan.

Comparing them all, I like the Nolan best. It seems to be designed better for comfort, fit and such (at least for my head). My wife shares the same feelings about the various helmet brands.

Concerning headsets, We only have experience with two brands, J & M and Air Rider. Our preference is Air Rider, they appear to have better quality mike and speakers. After switching to the Air Rider, I only need to keep the radio volume about 60% as high as before. Also don't need to adjust the intercom volume as high as before.

Don't tell anyone but in my younger years, I rode without a helmet. Ya know, on things like a friends ' 48 Harley Davidson 74, then on a '49 Indian, '51 Triumph, '52 Triumph and '60 BSA to name a few.

But that was back when about the only folks wearing helmets were race car drivers and race bike riders.

Then the '67 BSA, '76 Honda 750 and later bikes enjoyed having a helmet ride along.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Aspectone, Howcum no Nolan? My wife & I both have Nolan flips, I have a 1002 & she has a 102, and are very happy with them. They fit us well, are reasonably quiet, have removeable washable liners, and are set up for comm gear. We have Airrider units right now, but will probably be switching over to Starcom1 as soon as they release their wireless sets.

Funhouse, I started back with an open face helmet, but didn't like the need for a shield in wet conditions. With the stock windscreen, the rain departed the screen right back into my eyes. With a flip, I could have the added protection, yet open it when stopped or if I wanted to talk to someone, eat/drink, whatever. Best of both worlds.

Since you are in Boston, you might want to take a ride out to MotoMarket in Acton. They're on Rt 119, Great Road (The main drag through town). From the Concord rotary on RT 2 take 119 a few miles and they're on the right.

They have a good selection of excellent quality helmets that you can try on. Helmets, like heads, come in different shapes, and getting a helmet that fits your headshape is important. You might have a Shoei shaped head, or an Arai shaped head.. If you go on a Thursday, they are open til 8:00, and all kinds of interesting bikes show up.. European sport bikes, classics, Beamers, Guzzis, Honda CBs, Wings, etc.. Not the Harley Pirate wannabe crowd, but real interesting folks.

They also carry a good selection of better riding gear than you can find at your local bike shop or dealer. First Gear, Dianese, Rev'it, Held, etc.

Dave

GWBBA #9

Rocketmoto.com

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Thanks Dave - I have to admit I've driven by Moto Market so many times but never stopped in. I will have to check them out. Based on various comments from people here I've had several different helmets in my shopping cart but couldn't pull the trigger on any of them mostly due to what you said - you don't know the fit / feel until you try it on and I'd prefer not to keep shipping things back and forth.

After thinking about it and the lovely weather we are having here today I believe that full face would be best and like the idea of flip up but never tried one. This is something else I will have to check out when I go to Moto Market this week.

Thanks again

~ Pete

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

funhouse69 wrote:
Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone. Maybe I just need to get used to it but this is my first bike with a windshield and I find that looking through the windshield while wearing my full face helmet gives me this strange effect (looking through the 2 different shields) which is why I was thinking of going open face, well that and the lack of airflow that I am used to.

Every day I get more and more comfortable on the bike, today was the best so far since we finally lost all of the humidity that we've had for so long and the temps were down as well. I always wear a First Gear Leather when I ride so it was almost unbearable when it was hot / humid. I've heard that there are some wind deflectors that can help. Anyone have any suggestions or should I post that in another thread?

Pete, have you put the windshield all the way down? I'm fairly short, and I like to look over the WS. I can do that if it's down all the way, or up one notch on the highway. Once you get used to the bike, you might want to look at different windshields. If you're a look-over guy. WindBender would be a good option.

As for airflow, I'd suggest you look at Baker stuff.. http://www.bakerbuilt.com/gl1800%20gold%20wing.htm The Handwings are mandatory. They block the air coming under the mirrors that beats up your passenger, and really help you, too. And when it's hot you can open them up, and they direct the wind right at you. You can look like the Michelin Man as it balloons out your shirt...:D

The Airwings smooth out the side airflow nicely, and again can be opened to direct air your way. Kind of ugly, but these work the best of any out there..

Other than Handwings, you should probably ride the bike a while, and check out other peoples bikes before you do any really heavy farkleing.. If you need advice on sources for Goldwing stuff, PM me. I've bought a lot of stuff over the years :blushing:and might be able to point you at some good resources.

Also, what about mesh? I wear a Tourmaster Intake jacket when it's hot. This thing is practically transparent it's such an open weave, and flows air great. But, it gives full protection and carries a lot of armor.. elbows, shoulders, and back. And it has a rain/wind liner and an insulated liner. It's good down into the 50s / high 40s, and I've worn it at 99. 99 isn't great with no clothes, but this jacket was bearable. Most of the gear manufactureres have mesh in their lines.

Give me a buzz if you'd like to talk Goldwings some time. My phone is listed on my website.. (BTW, The GWBBA in my sig is the Gold Wing Bling Bling Association, form another board. If that gives you and idea of how much stuff I've bought..)

Dave

GWBBA #9

www.rocketmoto.com

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.