Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i might not even want to know the answer to this one but i figured i had to ask. how many of my fellow wingnutts and fellow bikers (oops, i ant very good on one of these computer thingys), go by the saying of "all the gear all the time"? i mean how many of you wear the full face helmets, the pads, the jackets with the armour, the blue jeans with the extra padding in the knees and seat, and any thing else? and while were here, about how much of the percentage of time do you wear all of it, if not all the time. 25%, 50%, how bout it? we will carry our helmets in my trunk till we get to a state that wearing a helmet is mandatory, then pull off and put them on. then pull over and take them off at the next unmandatory state. thats how much we hate them! on a different note, when i read in here about my wing buds actually dragging their foot pegs on the street in the twisties, i just cant believe that they do it cuz after a certain point, in the turn, i just cant lean anymore, hence i go slower. i have never drug a foot peg! if one of mine ever hit the street in a turn, i would have to stop at the next gas station and change my undies, and i would slow down even more. i guess my point here is that we dont let it all hang out like you peg draggers do. i think if i was a faster rider, and tore through the twisties (like the dragon), i probably would wear all the stuff to keep me from getting torn up in a fall. so let me wind this up by saying, i do wear jeans all the time, boots all the time, glasses all the time, and always got my stereo cookin with the blues!!!!.....:clapper::action::18blue::18yellow:.........

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

I wear my helmet all of the time. I only wear a jacket if the weather is cold or the wind is hurting my arms. However the wind has to be blowing a certain direction to create this discomfort.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

All the gear all the time. Ride like you're paranoid.

They are out to get you.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

I must confess I don't wear proper gear all the time even though I always carry itbut I guess I have been lucky so far

Eric

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

I wear my helmet all the time, no exceptions. I also wear either my leather jacket or my armored mesh jacket, jeans and boots. I intend to get some armored pants. I am a peg dragger and am far more worried about flying over the top of a car that pulls out in front of me, or a deer, than I am about taking a spill in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
imported post

most of the gear all of the time

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Unless you have had the enjoyable experience of going over the bars or over the side and sliding on asphalt at speed, or tumbling alongside the road, you probably don't have the mindset that re-flashes in your mind, years beyond the event.
If you do, you will.

·
Just one of the guys
4,804 Posts
imported post

Alway wear helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. I wear over pants until it gets too hot, then it is just regular trousers.

I have been considering the Kevlar Jeans as they should be cooler and I would likely wear them more often.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I wear as little as I can get away with above the waist. From the waist down it's always jeans and boots.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

On the occasional hot day we get here, sweat lasts until your next shower, gravel rash last a lifetime.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I'm more concerned with my skin being ripped off than broken bones, I protect my skin all the time. :action::action:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I have extra skin.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I'll keep that in mind :shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Let me try to explain.

It is a capitol murder case and people are marching up and down the street in protest. Please let the fellow go, he just had a bad childhood. :)

A couple years later you meet one of them and he is ready to hang any and all criminals, so what happened? It touched his life, it is no longer a discussion, it is no longer a mind game, it is real, experience came home to that person. He is now a recipient of a violent crime so his mindset is changed.

Same with helmets, and motorcycle gear. Cool to discuss it, to talk about it, but one time off the bike and no one has to tell you to wear it. You may ride for 15 years and never need it, but one day, on a beautiful day, when life is good, you will go off the bike.
It happens so fast there is no defense against it, it just happens, it may be a slick place in the road, it may be a deer, (mine was a deer-my last one anyway) or you may just do something dumb, we all do from time to time.

Yep go off the bike one time, no one will have to convince you.

I wear a helmet, heavy boots and gloves always, always, always.

As for the jacket and riding pants, I try to. Do most of the time, 95 percent of the time, but some days when it is 107 degrees and the humidity is 70 percent, I will take the jacket off, and wear a long sleeved white shirt. But I am learning to not even do that, to just endure.

Kit

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Helmet always boots always Leathers only when cold gloves most of the time

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Helmet - All the time, live in NE
Boots - All the time, need the ankle support
Leather - Vest all the time, chaps most of the time, jacket when the arms get cold (around 40 degrees when riding).
Full Gloves - 35 degrees or lower
Half Gloves - Most of the time

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
imported post

Being from the islands, I where a aloha shirt and board shorts just to piss off my Hardly buddies with their chain driven billfolds, leather jackets, vests, chaps all with "Hardly" all over them. Takes them 45 minutes to get ready for a ride!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Half gloves? Why bother?

Gloves, helmet, jacket, pants, leather shoes/boots.
All the time.

Ever made an exception? Sure, but "it's only 3 blocks"
Not a good excuse.

Take my example: My off was in my home territory going home from work. Right where DPS stats show that 99% of all accidents happen- right in your own back yard.

As Kit said, "Once you have had an off, no one has to tell you."

It was my practice before my off, and it still is.
I just try to place extreme limits on the exceptions.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Helmet, boots, jeans, always. Most of the time a leather coat and half gloves. I figure the half fingers exposed won't take nearly as much of the hit as the palms or back of my hands. (hopefully I won't ever find out)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.