Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi well just finished cleaning my carbs [1100gw] and added new timing belts. everything

fine except it still backfires at a higher throttle also hesitates a bit.. what could do this?

i dumbly stare at the housing trying to suss out the problem i thought maybe coils

breaking down under load.. this is the same problem i had before carb cleaning

the bike has 45k miles so dunno can anyone help??

thx gumby

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Can't see it being carbs if you already cleaned them. Coils or sparker unit come to mind...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Did you do a synch after the rebuild?

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
imported post

Have you changed the cam belts ? Might want to pull the covers and check the timing marks, you could also do the flow-test for the fuel pump. I can't recall if the manuals list any sure-fire tests for the spark or electronic advance units, but swapping out parts can get expensive in a hurry... :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

Hi Gumby,

Hesitation and backfire? Sounds like the timing is not advancing. One thing could cause that is the ECU. The unit could be bad or you might have a leak in the vacuum hose going to it. There's a test procedure for it in the manual.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Bike might be running a lil lean. Are you sucking air anywhere from a leaking gasket on the intake side? How did you set your float height? Did you check to see if the plungers in the carbs were sticking or moving free?

check vacuum lines for splits or other leaks.

Try a lil choke & see if the bike reacts better from that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.