Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have finally fixed my hesitation problem,when I bought this wing, it had been sitting in a barn for twelve years. inside of fuel tank looked like a septic tank. Pulled tank and had cleaned and epoxy coated. I installed a new CARTERfuel pump made for a 1987 Honda accord car. It is a direct replacement for the wing pump, but i always had the bad hesitation when starting off,or increasing road speeds. this pump failed after 200 miles so I put the same brand pump back in. Still had hesitation so i just lived with it, well 75 miles from nowhere the new pump decided to leave me on the side of the road. Well not wanting to put in a fuel pump every 200 miles I bought a AIRTEX brand fuel pump for the same car, installed it on the side of the road, started it up, and could tell a big difference in the waythe engineran. Get back on the road and all hesitation is gone!!!!! could not believe the fuel pump could cause hesitation on a carb engine. Has anyone else ever heard of this? It has so much more power it will now pull wheelies!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

would you happen to still have the airtex fuel pump number?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The fuel pump part number is E8371 and the strainer number is FS9

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

MONKEY WRENCH wrote:
The fuel pump part number is E8371 and the strainer number is FS9
i'm curious as to the mpg you're getting....

thank you,

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was getting 33 mpg. Have not checked my milage since new pump install. will let you know.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

I believe Airtex is usually less costly than Carter, was this the case for you?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

YES $53for airtex and $70 for carter

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

The difference in the fuel pumps could be the output fuel pressure. In a carburetted engine with fuel pump, the fuel levelin the carb bowl will go up or down depending on the fuel pressure. I would take it that the airtex new pump has higher fuel pressure which would give a higher float height. The closer the fuel inthe bowl is to the venturi(thebore the lets air through the carb) the sooner and easier it will be for the engine to get fuel which could explain the increase in performance.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

It has been raining every day since the 13th. we had 5 inches on Tuesday and four yesterday so i have not been riding. The weekend is going to be around a hundred degrees and clear, planning a three hundred mile ride, will let all know how it goes.I hope my fuel mileage goes up.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

OK went on 150 mile trip today checked fuel mileage and I,m still getting 33 miles to the gallon, but no hesitation. All is good

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Your mileage seems a bit low, my 1500 has averaged 40mpg ever since I got it. The only time it drops much lower than that is when I travel at 75mph or higher or buck strong headwinds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.