Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The 1988 1500 that I have has a bit of hesitation when you slow down to idle and down shift to first or second to turn down another street as you roll the throttle there is slack there and when it does get gas it is a little hesitation that makes me a bit uncomfortable with it. Has that jerk feel to it that makes you think whoa now. Ha Ha. I wouldn't think that is normal is it. On the highway no problem at all.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you don't get used to it like most of us have, you can add the 4 degree trigger wheel and reduce it greatly.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 88, it had the same symtoms. I used Seafoam for a coupe of tank fulls, changed the plugs and fuel filter. After that the bike stalled on the highway a couple of times and I installed an aftermarket fuel pump system. Have not had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Mine had the hesitation ran several cans of seafoam little better. But after i changed the timing belts and replaced the trigger wheel with the 4 deg, it runs great hesitation gone gas mileage ranges 36 to 40 as to how i drive. The high end torque is a lot better it is like a different bike. Also there is a lot of information here if you search around

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

hi rudy, a while back i posted that i smelled gas after a long ride with my 1995 1500. you said to replace the clamps on the fuel filter so i did and the bike blew up. :D, not really but i did take it out for a long ride the other day and did not smell the gas when i parked it. it might have been because it was so freakin cold out or the clamps worked. i will let you know for sure if it ever warms up again. thanks

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
hi rudy, a while back i posted that i smelled gas after a long ride with my 1995 1500. you said to replace the clamps on the fuel filter so i did and the bike blew up. :D, not really but i did take it out for a long ride the other day and did not smell the gas when i parked it. it might have been because it was so freakin cold out or the clamps worked. i will let you know for sure if it ever warms up again. thanks
So I'll look for a result in... what? 7 months? :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I just now bought the 4 degree trigger from Wingstuff. I almost got the Lamonster, but they did not state the degrees - some of the disappointedfeedbacks said it was the 6 degree.

I am not buying it for hesitation. I recently compared side-by-side a1999 bike, and IMO, Ifeel like the response was a little faster, crisper, and less effort than mine.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
If you don't get used to it like most of us have, you can add the 4 degree trigger wheel and reduce it greatly.
who sells this infamous trigger wheel?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

David,
We have seen an increase in the amount of early 1500's come into the shop with same conditions or just poor running..The ole girl is 20 years old and we have found a good majority of the condition comes from scuffed slide bores and cracking of rubber on slide diaphrams.You can get the scuffing out with 00 steel wool with a polising compound like Simichome or BOMS AWAY..The slides @ this age should be replaced as the surface coating wears away and can not be reconditioned they are around $100 a pop. A good test is remove air cleaner and move slides with your finger, should move freely and not bind also look for signs of scuffing of slides and bores. If worn they will sound gritty when closing and might even bind. Good thing is that you need only 2 rebuild kits instead of 4. Make sure to get accelerator pump kit @ the same time.Drain down coolant about 1 quart of coolant or a good time to refesh whole coolant system. If you decide to take a rebuild it on alone>> A sea captain once told "This is a trip for the hardy" A digital camara comes in handy for linkage and vacuum line placement.

Pete

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

If you decide to pull the carbs David, there are a couple of fiddly bits to look out for. The plastics removal is straightforward enough, I found the throttle cables awkward to get back in place and the vacuum lines routing needs careful attention and noting how they go, particularly at the front and right side of the carbs. Pete's suggestion of a camera is good. It might be a day or more between you pulling the carbs and having them rebuilt and ready to refit, and you can forget a lot of things in that time...

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Could be a vacuum leak. Really common.

Mine had a bad hesitation, I tried various combinations of SeaFoam, Cheveron Techron, and Amsoil PI.

Then I did a carb overhaul, twice.

Then I found the vacuum leak.

I have lots of pictures on my webpage:

http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

I had a hesitation problem with my '96 and it turned out to be a sticking accelerator pump. Seafoam (had I been aware of it back then) may have cured the sitch but I pulled the pumps apart and found only one was functioning properly the other was stuck. Cleaned things up and reassembled - problem solved.

Seems to me that the Seafoam would be a really good starting point here (this coming from the guy who always goes after the worst case scenario whenever something goes awry):shock:.

Just my ever so humble opinion :action:

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my 1990.
Turns out it was sticking carb slides. They were full of dirty grit.
I flushed them with WD40 then a shot of carb cleaner.
Finished up with a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate in the gas tank.
Problem fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.