Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, all. I've been a member for a few years now, but never took the time to introduce myself.

First off, I should explain my handle. DrummingAncient just means that one of the loves of my life is percussion, and I'm about to turn 70 in March.

I've been a biker for over 55 years. My first bike was a Honda baby Dream (90 cc). My next two were Honda 305 Superhawks, and my third (and the one that got me interested in touring) was a BMW R-75/6. Then I got married.

Fast forward to 30 years later, and my wife finally decided I could get a beater GL1100 off of eBay (after I had sold off all the 305s, and the the BMW). Poor thing had been left out in the rain, and apparently the two POs (I'm the third owner) sat around drinking beer while holding a portable drill. Don't get me wrong: there's nothing wrong with drinking beer. Just don't drill holes in plastic body work while under the influence. I wound up having to learn how to patch ABS body work to plug the over-100 holes in the body panels, trunk, etc. But it ran (ish) and only had 26k miles on the clock.

Which is really the point of the last 7-or-so years. I have learned a ton, and look forward to even more opportunities to learn while working on other projects related to the bike. The wife has the riding bug now, so we stand a good chance of bonding even more as time goes on.

Here's a pic of the wee beastie as she is today:

Sooooo much rust amelioration and prevention! I've "touched" all major systems on the bike over the last several years, and learned how to weld, created my own tools, etc.

Here's a front pic of the dual headlights:

I had to build the headlight/turn signal mount. You can also see the custom fairing I built from an old wrecked Vetter Windstar. I made the mounting brackets after making the tool to flatten the ends of aluminum tubing without making weak points. You can also see the intake that directs air up inside the windscreen for laminar flow to reduce helmet buffeting. That took some learning too...

There are also a ton of electrical changes, mostly in preparation for the upcoming fuel injection upgrade. I decided to completely re-do the fuse box, adding circuits and relays to enable better protection for the overall wiring harness:

I can be pretty fearless when it comes to electrical stuff. Happy to help anybody who needs assistance in that arena. I've got over 30 years experience in the electronic maintenance/manufacturing space (13 years with the US Coast Guard as an electronics tech, and another 20+ years as an electronics test engineer/apps engineer). Upgrading the bike to a MOSFET voltage regulator was falling off a log.

But there's so much more to learn. I've now embarking on more machining exploits, and dabbling in aluminum welding and brazing.

I'll be happy to explain more in depth the mods I've done if anybody is interested. Just drop me a note and I can work up a post.

Thanks for the kind welcome, and I'm looking forward to more years learning and building.

Dennis

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,601 Posts
ah.....
now I understand the post about you looking for intake runner parts, that makes a lot more sense now.

that bike shows a lot of tender loving care.

oh, I love those dual headlights, that is very unusual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah.....
now I understand the post about you looking for intake runner parts, that makes a lot more sense now.

that bike shows a lot of tender loving care.

oh, I love those dual headlights, that is very unusual.
Thanks, John. Very kind words.

Yeah, my wife says that I'm the best thing that ever happened to that bike. I am always hesitant to show "before" pics, because they always make me angry. For example, I found out, after getting new fork tubes (the old ones had pits 1/16" deep) that the lower triple tree was bent as a result of a hit on the right side.

It was a mess, but it's much happier now. Sort of reminds me of those videos about dog and cat adoptions.

Thanks again for the kind welcome.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Welcome back to the forum. I can't see any pics but I'm sure it's a better Wing than when you found her.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
If you're the guy that rebuilt that bike from a rusty hulk, then you have more than you know to offer this forum, don't be so shy in the future.

email sent

Reactions: DrummingAncient

·
Premium Member
79,823 Posts
Hallo DrummingAncient

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Now that's one classy looking 1100...

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
255 Posts
That is wonderful work and a great looking bike, you should pat yourself on the back repeatedly. With work like that and your attitude you should think about opening your own shop.👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Thats a nice looking goldwing. Did a great job on it. I am not to far from you, in Carrollton Ga kinda southwest of you.
Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is wonderful work and a great looking bike, you should pat yourself on the back repeatedly. With work like that and your attitude you should think about opening your own shop.👍👍👍
Thanks, Road Ranger. I'm a little over-the-hill to open a shop of my own, and I'm afraid the wife would kill me if I tried. But thanks for the kind words!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Thanks, ka4yqi. Hopefully we'll run into each other sometime during a road trip up in my neck of the woods.

Dennis
Maybe so there Dennis. Name here is Steve. I have a 2012 1800 trike and a 2007 Kawasaki 1600 nomad. If I by my self I like to play on the Nomad. Seat close to the ground, so the legs work a little better on it. My wife and I ride the trike together, Right now they trying to get me setup to do surgery on the right shoulder. So I run into you somewhere p that way. Interested in hearing about the fuel injection on the 1100.

Steve

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,601 Posts
Maybe so there Dennis. Name here is Steve. I have a 2012 1800 trike and a 2007 Kawasaki 1600 nomad. If I by my self I like to play on the Nomad. Seat close to the ground, so the legs work a little better on it. My wife and I ride the trike together, Right now they trying to get me setup to do surgery on the right shoulder. So I run into you somewhere p that way. Interested in hearing about the fuel injection on the 1100.

Steve
Steve,
I caught that info about your stuff, and updated your signature for you.
if you want it different, you can change it, or tell me what you want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.