Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Been gone for a while, heath stuff :lash::lash: But back to my original problem. Sorrry guys but my memory of your help is in the past.

Just a refresher, rode her to work 86 1200 one day all is find, but here up in the shed and the next day, she idles fine, but boggs out and quits under load. Fine one day , Then this the next.

Thanks Sorry for the mental laps,:wtf::wtf:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Friendly bump!!!! Good to see you back!!!:waving:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
could be maybe you got some carb trash that came loose ?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
But so much change, all the advertiseing and stuff, can't even fiquire out how to respnd to you !!!

sorry Jim
Yes we all that aren't so tech savvy have been miffed by this but the more you use it you'll find your way around.
You don't have an Emgo gas filter in it do you? Napa sells a good filter, # 3011 for the 1100-1200 for @$5.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could be maybe you got some carb trash that came loose ?
Hey

Think i'm fiquing this new stuff, thanks for resonding. Put so much work into puting her back on the road then this ( in the recent past ) i think !!!

Jim:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no emgo filters, don't think it's the pulse genartors , but as i said ., iles fine but under load it craps out
Thanks guys Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no emgo filters, don't think it's the pulse genartors , but as i said ., iles fine but under load it craps out
Thanks guys Jim
Removed and cleaned the carbs a way back, but like i said rode her home one night and bad the next ???

Jim

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Jim when is the last time you replaced your plugs
I know it sounds crazy but my 1500 did that exact same thing, I replaced the timing belts and it ran great, I rode it to work and on the way home it fell off so bad I thought it wasn't going to make it. It would fire up and idle smooth as could be but would stall if I tried to ride
I repalced the plugs and it hasn't missed a beat, just a thought

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim when is the last time you replaced your plugs
I know it sounds crazy but my 1500 did that exact same thing, I replaced the timing belts and it ran great, I rode it to work and on the way home it fell off so bad I thought it wasn't going to make it. It would fire up and idle smooth as could be but would stall if I tried to ride
I repalced the plugs and it hasn't missed a beat, just a thought
O K. AJ will give it a try , But i dougt it. thanks jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
As others have said...it's good to have you back.
As for your problem, could you rig up an auxillary fuel tank and hose, going directly to the "T" in the fuel line?
That might at least help you rule out, or confirm, supply problems.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey All

Dennis - How is Bike Doing ??? Don't think it's a fuel supply problem. Can start her up, runs fine around the yard, but any load ( trying to ride her up the ramp into the shed ) just boggs down. At idle seems to fall off about 2500 rpm. What has drived me crazy ( not my health issues :ROFL: ) is it was fine the night before and bad the next morning. Don't want to sell her , but can't put a lot of money into her either !

Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
A while back, we had a guy here in Mesa with similar problems. His was an '84 and there is a pin in the pulse generator that broke. I don't think the '86 has the same pin, but it may be worth a look.
It sounds like a fuel flow problem to me though.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If it ran fine the first day, I would suspect the carbs, especially if you are using ethanol gas. Besides a lot of other things, ethanol is a pretty strong solvent. If you let it sit in the float bowls and evaporate (it evaporates faster then real gas) then it could have left deposits. Riding the bike may have sloshed the stuff around in the float bowls and broken it up, and it got stuck in the main jets. Maybe drain the float bowls, and leaving the drains open, pour some gas through them to flush anything that might be in there out.

Ethanol gas is some evil stuff. I have a Yamaha XT225 that I don't ride very often, and more than once, I have accidentally let it set for a couple of weeks with that crap in the carb. It absolutely would not start. It would backfire a few times, that's about it. Removing the carb and cleaning it with spray carb cleaner like Gumout got it back to running like new. Then I would forget again. I don't remember this happening so quick back when we had real gas. I have the float bowl drained and filled with Seafoam right now. Same thing on my Vulcan 750, since I knew it would be awhile before I rode it again.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No mouse house's. Don't want to do it but it's either pull the carbs, and or, replace the pulse geneators. :praying::?:praying::?

Jim

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Try a little choke when it's failing, if it helps it indicates lean. If it doesn't help tends to be more likely rich or ignition. PG's don't fail like that normally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.