Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I just picked up a 1997 GL1500 Aspencade last Sunday. It only has 19,500 miles on it. It is the same Candy Apple Red, as my 1994 SE. I swapped trunk lids, and transferred all of the required other trim and upholstery parts, to "Make it right".
My question is: Is there a factory wiring harness connection on the 1997 Aspencade, that I can plug the "SE Spoiler " LED in to?
Trying to figure out the proper wiring, to make it work properly. I believe, that it operates at 2 voltage levels.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looks like there's a control unit that works with it. Hard to say where that's mounted, I only have an Aspy. Maybe someone with an SE knows...

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,376 Posts
I think, Aspencade models do not have that control unit and wiring. But it is not difficult to build one by yourself, or just connect it to the brake wire and it will come on when braking.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The same donor SE the spoiler came from likely has the other bits he needs.....I've found many connectors that are used on SE exist unused on Aspy, but never seen these ones. So would need to get bits of the SE wiring harness and the control unit to add in.

The control box is likely just a 555 timer and a driver transistor to make a pulse width modulation circuit at probably something like 30% duty cycle for running lights, bypassed for brake lights if someone electronically inclined wanted to make their own.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everybody. Greatly appreciate the responses. I'm going to see if I can possibly "Permanently borrow" that from the SE that I am going to be selling. Seeing, as it doesn't need it for the spoiler anymore.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
1,676 Posts
The same donor SE the spoiler came from likely has the other bits he needs.....I've found many connectors that are used on SE exist unused on Aspy, but never seen these ones. So would need to get bits of the SE wiring harness and the control unit to add in.

The control box is likely just a 555 timer and a driver transistor to make a pulse width modulation circuit at probably something like 30% duty cycle for running lights, bypassed for brake lights if someone electronically inclined wanted to make their own.
The control box is actually just a resistor and a diode ( the diode to prevent "back feeding" current to bikes running lights when you hit the brake ).

I built one myself about about 15 years ago for an Canadian spec 1500SE but i cant remember the value of the resistor.:(

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,376 Posts
[
The control box is actually just a resistor and a diode ( the diode to prevent "back feeding" current to bikes running lights when you hit the brake ).

I built one myself about about 15 years ago for an Canadian spec 1500SE but i cant remember the value of the resistor.:(
As a resistor 100ohm, and two 1N4001 diodes soldered like below will work, I believe.
image.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts