Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
imported post

I like it! Have you tried it out with a bike yet?

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Looks great. You know what would be nice? An air clamp that you could operate with a foot switch located in just the right spot that you could hit it with your foot after bike is in position. I usually don't have any help around so I have two pull straps laying at my feet and am able to reach down and cinch them around driver footpegs so I can get off and tighten clamp. I like your way of thinkin though.That will work nicely. Keep up the good work and when you get all the kinks worked out, I'll send ya mine.:bow::bow::cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

yes we put the boys shadow on it

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was looking at those self retracting ratchet straps they look like i could hook them on permanently to the side and i wouldnt have to go looking for them I also bought a piece of plywood to cover the top with since i know i will always be using oil,anti freeze ,wax all things that get slick on metal the wood will absorb it and not get slick. i am also going to make the wheels retract so it will set the frame flat on the floor

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

nice job.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Looking good -- I'm gonna assume that your clamp is "moveable" so you can position it a bit longer for GL to line-up with the rear drop out ?

3-things that may help (thoughts really):
* Some way to soften the entry for that angle iron (like cut/peal-back the vertical bit to create soft/radiused approach - The sharp corners there always bug me...)

* the jack handle -- Like I said eariler -- I like the folding handle (A LOT!!) but the length of the handle makes cinching that take a litle more effort than it should and offers leverage that you really don't need.

* I'm sure that some sort of wheel stop is in the works ... Always handy to know where to stop when loading and to take some off-vertical tie-down loads.

I'm liking where you're going -- be sure to post lots'a photos :)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you for your comments, I'm not sure what it will look like when I'm done I didn't like the little bracket that came on the lift and new it had to be better I weighed my gl1500 at work last week and it weighed 940 lbs by itself and I know that if that falls on me it wont be good .my wife said if it fell it would kill me and the dog ( God forbid that something would happen to the dog )

Thanks again I will post more pics :brokedown:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

It looks like it should work fine.

+1 on the wheel stop.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I have a home made one as well. I drilled two holes near the top and run a leash made of 1/4 inch chain from one to the other. I can adjust it to catch the front tire and keep it from rolling to far forward.
To be honest, it has been relegated to a shelf in the garage as too clumsy. I bolted one of these to the lift,

Now I can ride the bike up and it stays there. My table is one of the older ones without the drop out for a back tire. I have used the wheel chock and a floor jack with no tie downsto raise the Goldwing high enough to roll out the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I know I still have more to do but its getting closer, I do appreciate the comments tonight i will do something about those sharp edges

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

sanded it down and started primeing tonight . finished pics coming soon

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Funny how we all do things differently.

I put my wing on it's center stand, get off, clamp the front wheel and then attach a strap on each side. This allows for an easy back tire change or any engine work. For a front tire change I do not clamp the front tire and just jack the engine a little to raise the tire.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

my sons all have motorcycles a shadow and two Yamahas none of them have center stands ,I wanted a front tire clamp that was safer than the one that came with the lift.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Before you paint it you might want to move the clamp plate forward. I have a 6" extension on the front so I can pull on and raise bike onto center stand. That way you can remove drop out with bike on stand. Easiest way I have found to do rear tire.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

thanks, the clamp will be bolted on so if I need to move it later I can , I was planning to use a jack to lift the bikes , I called the local RV dealer they have a 3500 lb scissor jack for 32.00 thought I would buy one and weld a flat plate on the bottom and top with wood on top , and build a stand so i can raise the motorcycle put a stand under and the clamp I am building will come off buy just loosening to bolts to make the front tire easy to service

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.