Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Starting my HF Trailer build.

I have a Sears 20-SV Carrier, a big one. Measures 61 1/2 " long by 36" wide.

I have several dilemma's that Im trying to think through before I start cutting anything.

Ultimately, The trailer and carrier will be wrapped in Diamond plate sheets, Like this one (from Moto-Campers)

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I want a skirt around my carrier that is 18" high, this will leave me enough room for a 10" high box area under the carrier for a tent cot, which measure 54"L x 32" wide. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get all that from measuring the bottom of the squarest parts of the Carrier. So I suspect the 10" box is going to stick out beyond the back of the carrier and trailer.

The carrier will also be forward on the trailer by quite a bit to accommodate the curvature of the carrier.



The tongue is also going to be extended about 2 feet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I want a skirt around my carrier that is 18" high, this will leave me enough room for a 10" high box area under the carrier for a tent cot, which measure 54"L x 32" wide. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get all that from measuring the bottom of the squarest parts of the Carrier. So I suspect the 10" box is going to stick out beyond the back of the carrier and trailer.

The carrier will also be forward on the trailer by quite a bit to accommodate the curvature of the carrier.

The tongue is also going to be extended about 2 feet.
Reminds me of the 'coffin lockers' we used shipboard in the Navy... I thought about doing something like that when I built this camping flatbed trailer last year. Instead, I opted for increased cargo area for larger items like a BBQ grille, or small boat... ;-))
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I thought about keeping it simple, but I really like the clean look of the diamond plate skirt around the base of the Carrier. When we were in Front Royal, BoutyHunter had his trailer there and it was skirted, and it just cought my eye. Keeps it clean, aerodynamic, balanced and practical.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
826 Posts
imported post

I have the same carrier. It is long. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work. I'll be watching you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
I have the same carrier. It is long. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work. I'll be watching you.
Darn......

I was gonna watch you..... :ROFL::ROFL:

Im gonna be down in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. I have a training class I have to attend 2/1 in Covington, then we want to spend a day or 2 in NO since we have never been.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,311 Posts
imported post

I like the skirting. I have the same carrier, I narrowed the trailer so it just fits between the fenders. I cut off both ends of the crossmembers so the center holes for the tongue would still be centered. Shortened the axle and put it on top of the springs to make it as low as possible, removed the center leafs and turned the short bottom one upside down. I had to make brackets to raise the fenders to clear the tires. I only lengthened the tongue 12" which is plenty. I used a piece of heavy rectangular tubing to extend it and bolted the tongue under it. In the carrier I lengthened the lid supports so it opens up high enough to get to things. I also lined the inside with carpet. Here is a link to pictures of it.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/bldontp/Travel trailer/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Looks good Dave. A couple of questions. Did you add on to the tongue by adding a section "Below" the original section for any other reason that it was a place to attach, or did you have to do it to help Level the trailer with the bike?

I was going to bring the tongue forward and weld/bolt 2 pieces of angle iron on the inside to bolt to the center beam.

I liked the way you did you springs, that makes sense to me, double up were it bolts to the axle. Maintains some of the bolt space but adds strength to the joint.

Im not concerned with fender location during the build since Im adding diamond plate all the way up the side, 18" high. Should have plenty of surface to mount them to wherever they land.

Edit: Forgot, do you have pics of how you extended the opening of the top. I was looking into ways to do that, it doesn't seem to open very far.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
105 Posts
imported post

Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
jobe05 wrote:
I want a skirt around my carrier that is 18" high, this will leave me enough room for a 10" high box area under the carrier for a tent cot, which measure 54"L x 32" wide.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can get all that from measuring the bottom of the squarest parts of the Carrier.  So I suspect the 10" box is going to stick out beyond the back of the carrier and trailer.

The carrier will also be forward on the trailer by quite a bit to accommodate the curvature of the carrier.

The tongue is also going to be extended about 2 feet.
Reminds me of the 'coffin lockers' we used shipboard in the Navy... I thought about doing something like that when I built this camping flatbed trailer last year. Instead, I opted for increased cargo area for larger items like a BBQ grille, or small boat... ;-))
Wingmaster... what are the dimensions of your trailer?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,311 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Looks good Dave. A couple of questions. Did you add on to the tongue by adding a section "Below" the original section for any other reason that it was a place to attach, or did you have to do it to help Level the trailer with the bike?

Actually it was both, it was just a lot easier and stronger to attach the tongue to another solid piece and the bonus was it sits level behind the bike.

Edit: Forgot, do you have pics of how you extended the opening of the top. I was looking into ways to do that, it doesn't seem to open very far.

I did not take any pictures of that, sorry. I had some pieces of U shaped metal that the arms fit in perfectly so I cut them in half, slipped them into the U channel and drilled/screwed them together.
If I get a chance today I will try to get some pictures of the arms to give you an idea. I thought about gas struts but they are all too stiff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
imported post

Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
Reminds me of the 'coffin lockers' we used shipboard in the Navy... I thought about doing something like that when I built this camping flatbed trailer last year. Instead, I opted for increased cargo area for larger items like a BBQ grille, or small boat... ;-))
Wingmaster... what are the dimensions of your trailer?
Mine was a 5 X8 foot 60's pop up camper... Cut down to the frame it now measures abot 72 X 32 inches or so. Also added a couple foot of angle iron to make a longer tongue for stability. It can haul a lot of weight if needed!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
imported post

Wingmaster Shamus wrote:

Wingmaster... what are the dimensions of your trailer?
Incidently, those are vinyl gutters I used for fenders... lol!! Sort of an ugly creation I know, but cheap and very utilitarian... ;-))
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Got the trailer cut down to size today, 48" long and 36" wide, and extended the tongue about 18". I didn't finish everything so I didn't write it down in my book yet. Still have to get it squared and tight, then get the tongue squared.

Also got the axle cut down 4" and welded in a 1" X 8" pipe. I think due to my welding abilities, being new at it, I will also put a few bolts through it just to make sure.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,311 Posts
imported post

I forgot to mention when I shortened the axle I cut the beam off on 1 end and cut the welds holding the spindle into the cut off piece and rewelded the spindle into the shortened beam so it is not welded together in the middle. I then drilled new tie bolt locating holes in the opposite side so the U in the axle is still facing down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Cutting the axle was one of my biggest fears, but after a lot of reading, there really isn't a lot of stress at the mid point. Im sure the welds that I have will hold well, but Id rather be safe than sorry.

I'll post some pics tomorrow........ But no laughing at the welds........
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,311 Posts
imported post

I can't laugh at welds, not anymore. I used to when I could see how to weld but now I have to hide mine. I miss the seam more often then not and have to go back and re-weld it. Eventually if I put enough beads on it I will get one in the seam.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top