Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

I just bought the Auto Darkening shield at HF. It's great, you can see almost regular till your first arc, you don't even see it, before the screen goes dark automatically. I really like it and has helped my welding a lot...... which still isn't saying much....

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I kept it short and simple with shortening the width of my HF trailer axle.

Took 4" out of the center, tacked the 2 fresh ends together, and used the 4" piece of U-channel inverted to strengthen the joint. I used to have a picture of it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
imported post

Heres what I did, Kinda the same thing you did Sam, but I used a round pipe in the middle to weld in........ if you call this welding.

·
Administrator
26,308 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
Wingmaster Shamus wrote:

Wingmaster... what are the dimensions of your trailer?
Incidently, those are vinyl gutters I used for fenders... lol!! Sort of an ugly creation I know, but cheap and very utilitarian... ;-))
I wondered what those were. As long as it works for you, its fine by the rest of the world :)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
imported post

I have the trailer together, not completed, not finished with all the bolts and stuff, just got it together to see what she looks like, and what mods might need to be done at this point.

I put the axle on top of the springs. Now I question if these small U bolts will be enough to hold all the weight? I may wrap that joint in a Stainless steel wire strap so if it does ever break, the stainless wire will hold if from coming totally apart.

I extended the tongue about 18" but it still doesn't seem like it's enough, but I am just over 1.5 length X axle width. I used 2 pieces of old bed frame cut and overlapped. It's welded into the original tongue, plus bolted to the original tongue where it bolts to the frame, and also bolted to the tongue again about midway to the center support (Bolts not in yet).

:ROFL: I said don't laugh at the welds...........

Heres the finished trailer size with the box sitting on it

And heres a pic of where the Carrier will actually sit on the trailer once the 18" side are put on to create that 10" cavity under the carrier for added storage of the Tent Cot.
The sticks are just temporary. The sides will be finished in Diamond plate. The total height is just under 4 feet tall. I will be adding a ton of led lights on the back side because the lights on the bike will be hidden from view.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

Not sure if you have done this yet or not, but while you have it stripped like that take the bolt out of the leaf spring on the (open side) where the leaf spring rests on the bolt and cut a piece of hose (water hose works fine) and slide it over the bolt and tighten it. This will stop alot of the chatter while going down the road typical to this kind of trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
imported post

I had hoses cut ready to go on, but they now have a second piece that goes on with one bolt and overlaps the other bolt were the spring hits to hold it out. With that piece in place, there wasn't enough room for a piece of hose. I do have some thin rubber that sticks on and Im thinking of putting that on the bolt, should work but it's tight right now.

·
Administrator
26,308 Posts
imported post

Set your box a little farther back than where you have it now, will make the tongue look longer. I only added 12" to the tongue and it was plenty. Unless you plan to overload the trailer those U-bolts will hold.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
imported post

Yea, the trailer will set back about 2 inches farther than the picture shows. When I get the diamond plate, it is going down the sides of the trailer, and will turn in front of the trailer as the box turns, same with the back. The front turn will be forward about 14" and the back turn is about 5"

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

I have a LED light question.

I know if I put LED turn bulbs on the bike, the relay has to be changed, and because I have an LTD, I also lose courtesy lights etc...

But can I run LED turn signals on the trailer? Without modifying anything on the bike?

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Yes. Especially if you don't want to install a converter/isolator system on the bike. Using LED will not draw enough amps to speed up the flasher or overload the rear end wiring

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
imported post

I will have to install a converter to go from 5 wire on the bike to 4 on the trailer.

Will that effect how LED's will work on the turn signals?

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

No, the converter will draw only a fraction of an amp. The trailer lights will be powered by the wire you run from the battery to the converter. The ones you connect to the bike lights just signal the circuitry to send the power to the trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

Well I got the shell of the trailer out today and started working on it again.

Got the corner post welded on, the cross bars for the box to sit on welded and the front and back skeleton for the Diamond plate to attache to. The diamond plate will skirt the whole trailer, then in the back, I will make a diamond plate door that will be on a piano hinge to get to the Double Tent cot beneath,

:watching:

As you can tell bu the picture, my welding skills still lack.......

Here is the cot Tent that will go under the car top carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

When I build mine never could locate the SV20 topper. It was my preferred topper that I wanted to use. BUT WE found an 18 that is a bit rounder, not quite as aerodynamic but a bit shorter. Used price was right. I narrowed my trailer to 36 inches. Plywood floor and painted black as everyone with the diamond plate wanted a forture for a 36x48 piece. Would like to get away from the smaller tires but it pulls just fine with them. Have used it only once but that is going to change this year. (HOPEFULLY) Also did not lengthen the tongue but it may do so to accomodate an ice chest.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

That's coming along nicely! Just a thought...when you're doing your lights, you may want to consider some along the sides too. Never can have too many!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Jobe05

Great job on the trailer, coming along nice.

Is that axle mounted with the open side up?
I'd turn it over so open side down I think. Might have to weld some mounting plates on to turn it over.

Seems to me open side up is going to collect all kinds of road junk like rain, salt, mud, dirt, etc and just sit in that channel and eat away at it. Anything you might have to ride through will just gather in there with no way out I'd think.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

A little different, but fun to build, and very smooth on the road! I have less than $300.00 in the whole thing. jimsjinx

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.