Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I went with 2"x4" steelbox frame tube (standing on edge) for the tongue. Note the Terra Cotta warrior wrapped in bubble wrap? I had to build him out of concrete! jimsjinx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Just ran across this. I scooped up one of these cargo carriers by chance and have been mulling over the actual build. Thanks for posting. have the hubs and axle and am hoping to come up with springs and wheels soon. I am going to have the High school assemblr the frame and am toying with flatbed cargo combo.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
imported post

Chomo: Yes, the axle is upside down. In order to keep it more level with the bike, I put the axle over the springs instead of under. Which means the centering pin in the upside down spring you see (the smallest one), wouldn't have fit any other way. I was thinking of drilling a couple small 1/4" weep holes in the bottom.

Minimac: Going to be a ton of lights. Going all LED so the sky is the limit. Thinking of getting a couple hundred single led lights with the wire attached and drilling individual holes for each light, then I can create my own lighting scheme.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
imported post

Well I stopped at Lowes to find material that would cover the bottom bed of the trailer. I looked at 1/2 treated plywood but of the one stack they had there, every sheet was separating, warped to no end and ever corner or side had huge pieces missing from each board...... worst stack of lumber I have ever seen in my life.

So I stopped by tractor supply to see what they had........ Nothing......

But I did look at their tail light stock. I had seen the round LED standard trailer lights and have never been impressed with their brightness, so I wanted to check out the oval ones. They have the packages with a test button that says "Try Me" on it. So I did.... Man... These suckers about blinded me! The Oval 10 LED is 4 times brighter than the 10 LED round lights..... Amazing. So I got 2 of those that I will put on the top lid of the car carrier, and I will pick up a round set of LED's for the rear sides of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
imported post

The Diamond Plate came in today so I couldn't help getting started. The cheapest Diamond Plate I could find was 24" X 72" so I got 3 sheets, since I need 18" by 15 Feet, I had some cutting down to do.

Right now Im just laying it out to see were I want the seams. Im thinking dead center in the front, then 2 more in the back, one on each side about 2 or 3 inches in from the back.

I also have another piece of Diamond Plate that is 1/4" x 18" x 51" that I will use across the back, wrapping around the corners and sealed with a rubber seal that I have, which will be the fold down door for the underside access.

Here's what it will look like.

My thinking right now is that I will cut a 4" piece if diamond plate and use it as a backer between the 2 seams, and rivet it together every couple of inches on each side, with some rubber seal material in between the diamond plate to help water proof it.

The attachment method to the trailer will be 1/4 - 20 bolts (rounded heads) with aircraft nuts on the inside, around the bottom, and in a few locations at the top where there is metal support.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Your trailer is starting to come together nicely. Great job!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

sweet..... that is a fine lookin trailer. When ever i get around to building mine, hopefully it will look half as good....Denis :12red::applause:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
imported post

Had a few hours today to do a little more work on the trailer. I got the skirt finished bolted down on the bottom edge on both sides and got the piece on the back formed and cut out.

The side skirt isn't lining up like I wanted it to, it's up on the side of the frame about 3/4 of an inch so you can see part of the red frame...... But at least it's uniform and even all the way around.

I put 1/2" treated plywood down on the deck, screwed down with carriage bolts. The idea of the underside is to keep it as free from protruding nuts, bolts and rivets as possible, so far, nothing goes into that cavity accept the rivets in the front, and when Im ready, there will be rivets were the back piece meets up with the two side pieces.

I will make a back door that will cover the back, and conform around the corners. I want to make a Diamond plate piece that I can rivet on to the seam in the back that bends out to accept the back door as it closes but I can't figure out how to make the bends........ I'll keep working on it, any suggestions would be appreciated. If I can do it, that would eliminate any rain water getting into the back door while riding. I have a metal brake but as far as I can see, it only bends in one direction.

Here's some pics of the progress:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
imported post

Well, for now, she is finished!

Still have a few minor cosmetic things to do, the wiring is temporary and will be replaced when I add the other set of oval lights to the box top,'

I have a third brake light...... but didn't think that one through very well since the brake light is connected to the signals........... So right now, it's not connected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

That looks great! Nice job! I didn't notice a spare tire anywhere though. You planning on carrying one?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
imported post

I am, just not today.......

I need to get one and mount itu on the bottom side of the back as I want to put a cooler rack on the tongue.

It's amazing how easy it is to get use to pulling a trailer. When empty you know it's here because of those "third bumps" that you don't normally feel. Half loaded was better but the corners were a little rough, and when mostly loaded, I didn't know it was there, even the bike puled it better.

Leaving for tallico plains here in a bout so I'll let you know how she does.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
imported post

Well I'm out at tellico with the trailer and it handled remarkably well. Through the hills the twisties goin 80 or 20 it did amazing. The more you load it the better it rides with the bike.

We are out here with the Moto campers group which is were the design idea originated and everyone loves it.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.