Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Did everyone just make new tongue to the trailer from what I am reading it has to be twice the length as the one it came with

· Registered
10,492 Posts
imported post

What you can do without doing any welding is to move the center frame crossbar more toward the front of the frame. Only requires some new bolt holes to be drilled on the side member frame pieces and the front bolt holes on the tongue.

Also before you mount the leaf springs, take out the 2 smaller leaves on each side. You only need the largest one for the loads you may haul behind your bike.

What time do you plan to start in the morning?

· Registered
10,492 Posts
imported post

When I built mine I didn't think about moving the cross member in order to make the tongue longer. That's why you get to benefit from mods others on here have already done. I ended up making mine longer by welding a piece to it from another Harbor Freight tongue my brother didn't use on his trailer.

Here's the album with pics of my trailer and some of the mods I did to it. All my lights are led's now plus the cooler rack was added as well as parade flag mounts.

My brother did all the welding for me which included making the tongue stand from scrape pieces, the cooler rack and the spare tire mount under the rear bottom.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Bagmaster50/Trailer/

· Registered
10,492 Posts
imported post

Also make sure you have a good framing square for getting everything lined up before tightening all the bolts.

· Premium Member
14,147 Posts
imported post

Do not, I repeat, do not paint the parts before you assemble. I painted mine white out of a spray can. I figured it would be easier to paint all the parts while they were laid out.

After I put it all together, I couldn't get agood ground. Apparently some paints conduct electicty and others don't.

I did not extend my tongue. I never thought about it, and I just bolted it together as directed. It has never swayed on me. Maybe I got lucky and got a well balanced trailer, or maybe it has something to do with howsquare it comes out whenbuilding it, or maybe it is how true the axle is.As mentioned above, I was real careful about making sure it's square. I don't know, but mine is "out of the box" configuration.

· Just one of the guys
4,849 Posts
imported post

On the one I have there was a pair of holes about 11 inches forward of the ones designated for the center cross member, I just used those holes to move the center member forward and drilled a couple of new holes in the tongue to bolt it to the forward member. Pulls fine that way.

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks Doug I did it that way also.Ready to separate springs then carry on gonna wait till i get the 12 inch tiers/rims before I put wheels on

· Token Canuk
8,173 Posts
imported post

Dropping your air pressure to around 15 - 20 lbs also helps the ride since there in little weight on them. :waving:

· Premium Member
3,375 Posts
imported post

I built one of these this spring, took it down to Montrose, never felt it there.
I extended the tongue by moving the cross brace forward, removed the small spring each side, narrowed the trailer and axle 6" to suit the cargo box.

Attachments

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

went hf today to get led lights for my trailer project. Never got them. walked in and a tool chest struck my eye. went and looked at it. Five drawer on sale 179.00. on top was another one stacked. Lady said she just marked it down to 104.00 so no lights today but I own two rolling tool chest. I thought I was buying one went to move car to front of store and the store clerk brought out both. 358.00 it would have cost me. one the keys were lost and the other had a small dent in it.The one with out the keys is now full with all my hand tools and the other is full with my power tools. I love finding a bargain. Almost bought a set last month at sears for 450.00. now my tools have a home not just thrown in a drawer in some cabinets in garage

· Registered
10,492 Posts
imported post

The trailer comes with a light kit, just upgrade the bulbs to led's off ebay. That's what I did.

· Premium Member
3,375 Posts
imported post

I replaced the bulbs in the light kit with LED's and I added the round LED's which I got at HF for $5 each and rewired the trailer so I have the red LED as Stop/tail and the yellow as left & right flasher.

Attachments

· Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

I have built and helped build a couple of these and we never extended the tongue at all and they have been from Az to texas and back, Az to Vancouver and back. we did narraow the width about 10 inches so that it fit basically the width of the bike.

We used RV storage boxes instead of car toppers and one guy built a replica of a old style camping trailer. rain or shine had no problems.

What I had heard was the tongue needed to be 2x the width of the axle!

On mine I have put a small ice chest on the front, I made one of those carriers that mount in the receiver. When I have the trailer it bolts to the tongue so that I can have it if I go for a ride and leave the trailer someplace and want to carry some snacks or drinks. The spare is mounted all the way to the rear under the trailer to counter weight stuff.

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Attachments: 1 attachment
downsized...jpg (24.1 KB)

· Registered
10,492 Posts
imported post

elvisskan wrote:
Try it again!!:D:D:D:D

Use the preview feature before submitting your post, that way you'll know what it looks like before this happens. :waving::waving::waving:

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

ok tried putting pics of trailer in my email copy paste didnt work they are on my cell whats the best way to post here

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

downsized_1024091727.jpg

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

will check later to see how to do it

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

downsized_1024091727.jpg

· Registered
10,492 Posts
imported post

elvisskan wrote:

ok tried putting pics of trailer in my email copy paste didnt work they are on my cell whats the best way to post here
You have to download them to your computer from your email before posting them. Best way is to upload them from your computer to a free hosting like Photobucket. Keep the size to around 300 kb and you'll have a decent size for fast uploading without loosing a lot of detail. 24.1 kb is awfully small, like a thumbnail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.