Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all,
Many of you have saved me much time and misery,I thank you all. I have been working on a 1984 GL 1200 Standard for months. It sat for years but is running perfect except for the rear wheel turns in neutral or while the neutral light is on. I rebuilt the clutch(master Cylinder,bled the lines etc.... I have also driven it around trying to break it loose and nothing. I am praying i don't need a new clutch. Thanks from the big easy Steve

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Hey Steve and welcome! If it sat for a while, you reckon the clutch is just gummed up from bad or old oil. You might try using some Seafoam in the oil, ride it about a 100 miles or so and see if things get better once you change the oil to something like Delo or Rotella T diesel oil. Hope you get it figured out!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Hi Jeff,
Thanks!! I will give it a try. I am using fresh 20w 50, could this be adding to my problem? I have only gone around the block a few times. I would love to take it farther but have been afraid of causing damage to the bike. I will get some seafoam and some courage!! Thank you, Steve

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

not sure if that's your problem my 87 1200 calls for 10/40:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

You would be surprised what some real milage can do to clear up some symptoms and also make you aware of others. Around the block aint gonna do it. Seafoam in the oil as per instructions, and take her out for a day of riding . DOnt race the engine too hard with teh seafoam in there and try not to go over 200 miles . All my problems from a 3 year sitting bike were readily visible after a ride. Slowly things got replaced or repaired. Take it one step at a time taking care of the safety stuff first. brakes lights and just ride her.

per rthe manual 20 w 50 is ok from ambient tempoerature 15 farenheit to about 100

That means from out side temp before starting bike.

Remember the low number is teh viscosity when warm, so 20w when the engine is warm and 50w when the engine is cold. the only need to change to a lower viscosity is if your experiencing strating issues. The starter may have problems at cold temps turning the engine over with such heavy an oil.

I run rotella 15 50 and am about to switch to mobil delvac, after trying the delo 400 both at 15 50

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

It is completly normal for the rear wheel to turn in neutral while on the center stand, has nothing to do with the clutch. It is the friction between the gears and shafts and of course heavy oil will contribute to it.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

As stated Seafoam in the oil for 100-200 miles before changing will help clean out any gunk. However, Goldwings hate to sit idle. They love to be ridden long and often. The more they are run the better they run. Especially the older girls.

Do the Seafoam, change the oil and ride, ride and then ride some more. A can of Seafoam in the gas tank will help clean the carbs also. Even running a couple of tanks with Seafoam can help.

Check the brakes. Also check the tires. The tread may look OK but check for cracks in the rubber which would indicate dry rot. Cleaning the posts on the battery may help prevent some possible electrical issues going forward.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

20/50 is a little heavy IMHO. Muaymendez1 actualy kinda got it backward. A 20W50 will flow as well as a 20 weight when cold, but offers the protection of a 50 weight at operating temperatures. That thick oil between the clutch plates will cause greater hydrostatic action thus causing the bike to creep in gear with the cluch pulled. However, creeping in nutral is strange. Like DaveO said though, it's normal for it to turn a little if the rear wheel is off the ground. Not something you should notice sitting on the bike with the rear wheel on the ground however.

10W40 may be better suited to your bike and you'd probably notice smoother shifting with 10W40 too.

Johnny

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I havee to agree with DAVEO. My 80 done this when I changed from 10W40 to 15W40 DELO. It will turn some. Did you adjust the Top and Bottom on the cable? To adjust the clutch, remove the cover, unscrew the center screw, and turn it clockwise until you feel a very slight drag.
Hope this helps.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

steve soltis wrote:
Hello all,
Many of you have saved me much time and misery,I thank you all. I have been working on a 1984 GL 1200 Standard for months. It sat for years but is running perfect except for the rear wheel turns in neutral or while the neutral light is on. I rebuilt the clutch(master Cylinder,bled the lines etc.... I have also driven it around trying to break it loose and nothing. I am praying i don't need a new clutch. Thanks from the big easy Steve
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

When you say "it turns" - like how much?

Like Dave said - it's normal for a wheel with no resistance to turn - it's just the clutch plates in proximity to each other, with thick oil. Kinda like a torque converter in an auto transmission in some ways.

If it's on center stand, in neutral, can you stop the wheel from spinning, and the engine still runs, or would the engine stall and die?

better yet - if it's in Neutral, and on the ground, will it sit still with you on it - or is it trying to move forward considerably?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey steve soltis:waving:, Welcome to the best wind forum.:)

What we really need to know is what rgbeard ask, are you talking about when the bike is on the center stand?

I don't think the 20w50 will hurt anything down here in the warm climate, i ran it in my 1200 for a couple of years, no problems. If the rear wheel is turning while in neutral on the center stand that is normal . If the clutch is dragging that is different.
I do now use delo 15w40, it seems to make my engine more quite and shifts better.

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Hi Rusty,
The bike will move and pretty fast too, It will stall if my hand is off the clutch. The wheel is defiantly moving with force. I really appreciate your feed back, I am still a bit nervous about a distance run because of this problem. Thanks Steve

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you are getting into neutral? Ignore the neutral light and see if you can find neutral between 1st and 2nd. Try it with the engine off and the key off. Rock the bike back an forth while trying to find neutral with the shifter. The bike should roll free when in neutral with the engine off and the clutch not pulled in. I'm wondering if your neutral switch is some how indexing wrong and you are not really in neutral.

With the transmission in neutral there should be no gears engaged and the bike should not move with the motor running. If it was a clutch dragging, the bike would not move in neutral but could move forward when in gear and the clutched pulled in (engaged).

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Hello,
This is a good point! Because I replaced the water-pump and the switch was taken out and put back in. Is it possible it is not in correctly? and I am getting a false reading. For example if the bike was not in neutral when i put the switch back in. I will give it a try!! Thanks a lot!! Steve

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.