Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So as the title says, thats what I'm considering. In this consideration I have to consider availability of parts, recources, and all that stuff that goes into a restoration.

The bike is currently not running, the owner says it had to be take apart to replace a water pump and he just doesn't have the time to put it back together.

So hello everyone and can I get some input on this, I would love the learning experience of this but I want to have a rough idea of how hard this will be, so I'm all ears (eyes), thanks

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving::waving: Welcome to the madhouse of wings:cooldevil:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome Xuno-gil . If you have a certain question post it in the tech section lot's of knowledge here. :waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome, from sunny Southern California, you have come to the right place

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Welcome Xuno_gil, from N.W. Missouri! Good luck with your project.

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the State of Confusion....Kansas!!!! :waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Firstly a big warm welcome to the site, Xuno_gil, good to have you on board. :waving:

I suspect you will have many opinions coming in on this but here are some things to consider.....

Are you a capable mechanic? If not, paying someone else to do the work will be expensive, unless you have a friend who can help you out.

Do you have the time and resources.? These things can take awhile and can turn expensive.

Do you think you are getting an honest appraisal of what is wrong with the bike from the owner? If that bike has been standing for a long while, there is likely to be more than just a new water pump to slap on and re fit the removed parts. The carbs for instance are likely to have gummed up through lack of use and may need a re built kit at least.

How do other important and potentially expensive things look on the bike? The body panels if in good condition will save a small fortune alone and if the exhaust is good that is another major expense avoided.

The big advantage to it being an early Wing is that you should be able to see most of everything and give it all a once over to check that rot hasn't taken its toll on things like the frame.

Bottom line is, if the bike is cheap enough to buy and you have the where with all to do the work yourself, then it is possibly worth the effort. When done, you will have a machine that is a beautiful classic that is fun to ride and should appreciate in value over the years.

If you feel that it is beyond economical repair, then another alternative would be to buy it and part it out. Some would consider this morally wrong, but at the end of the day, you would be helping others to keep their old girls running and be able to make a few $$ to boot.

Just some thoughts to get you started and good luck with the project if you decide to go for it.

Enjoy the forums and please visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida. :waving:

If you do decide to get the project bike and restore it, keep us up on your progress.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

welcome from central tx.:waving:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

hey thanks for all the advice Silverfox, I'm still debating the purchase. The bike has been sitting for a while and I have already accepted that if I buy the bike I would need to rebuild the carb at the least, It will also need new wires and plugs. I plan to do most if not all of the work myself. I would never buy something to have someone else repair. But one of my big worries is, about how much I'll be spending at the end to finish the project. Most of the major parts like frame and main powertrain seam ok but then there also alot that needs work, if I want to get it to the condition I picture in my mind. Well, I'll keep thinking about it and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the advice and feel free to keep it coming.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Do come back with us much info as you can, this will give those more knowledgable than the likes of me, something to base their oppinions on and enable them to give you useful advice.

Not sure how many $'s you might be getting the bike offered for, but if it isn't much you should sill buy it if you can and part it if too much work involved.:)

Easy for me to say, I am great at spending other peoples money!!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

Xuno_gil wrote:
hey thanks for all the advice Silverfox, I'm still debating the purchase. The bike has been sitting for a while and I have already accepted that if I buy the bike I would need to rebuild the carb at the least, It will also need new wires and plugs. I plan to do most if not all of the work myself. I would never buy something to have someone else repair. But one of my big worries is, about how much I'll be spending at the end to finish the project. Most of the major parts like frame and main powertrain seam ok but then there also alot that needs work, if I want to get it to the condition I picture in my mind. Well, I'll keep thinking about it and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the advice and feel free to keep it coming.
:1000red:Welcome from the HOOSIER State:12blue:

I bought my 1976 GL1000 for $950. it sat for 10 years in a garage. 1 year and about $1000 later, she was road ready. I still have her and just purchased(July2008) my current ride "Mary Ellen" a Bright and shiney 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

ok thanks everyone for all your help, I have now moved my discussion to the technical forum because I dont want anyone to get mad for maybe posting on the wrong catagory, I have listed known problems and wana see what you all think, I also have pictures of the bike but I don't know how to get them small enough to post so if you wana see them let me know, ill email them. Doug D, your bike sounds like you got it up with not much money at all, I just don't know how its original condition compares to mine, but we wil see, thanks

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.