Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys and galls, i am new to the goldwing family. to give you a quick rundown, i am a certified harley-davidson technician currently working at a dealership in my area, so i ride a bunch of different harleys all day long. i own a high powered sportster and really wanted a road glide. my dad has a streetglide and has been riding all over, i think he has just the west coast and the northeast to go before he hits every state on his new bike (minus alaska and hawaii). i was told my credit was not good enough to buy a new bike and with house and truck payments i could not afford the payments anyways. but i am really wanting to spend some road time with my dad as my younger brother was taken from us last year. so i hopped onto ebay and ran into a bunch of affordable goldwings that were in my price range. So a long story short I ended up getting a 1981 Goldwing GL 1100 I (one year younger than my little brother)! the price was right with only 43,xxx milesand with a little work she will be road worthy.

But anyways if you have gotten this far I was wondering where i can locate a windshield that is lower than stock. Like i said i am a very unorthodox goldwing owner. Is there a place i can get one??? I have not had a chance to look at the parts books at work as of yet because well work is getting in the way. but there is currently a slipstream windshield on there and it is almost nice enough not to cut up...

But please be gentle with me because i dont care who rides what just as long as everybody i smiling because they are on two wheels...

Thanks ya'll

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

Alot of guys just cut them down with a jig saw. Use tape to get height right the tape off good where jig saw will slide to prevent scratching go slow and cut away. You can polish cut edge to smooth finish. BTW: congrats on the wing. They are a good breed of bike and Welcome to the Greatest Forum in the world. Jack.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I took 6 inchs off the 1500wing's windshield but it was overstock size. How low would you like to go. In my humble opion 1100 winshiels and fairing suck. It.s just me. I stripped the fairing and windshield off my 1100 and put on a plexus screen works as good as the honda unit.
But the stock fairing and winshield work fine but you will get lots of buffiting if you go much below stock hieght probly more than you would on a bike with no fairing windshield
Wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site studeillac!:waving:

I had a stock winshield on one of the 1100s I had that was cut down about 2" which wasn't bad on the road. Do you hide the 'Wing when you go to work?:cheeky1: Has your dad disowned you yet?:action:Sorry I just couldn't help myself.;)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

yeah i had the windshield taped off this evening and i will probably cut it down next week and it looks like ive got about five inches coming off the top....i will post some pics next week or so...

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

naw i dont have to hide it because one of the other techs has one that he has chopped down:thumbsup:and its funny because it was my dad that found it on the "bay" for me!!!;)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! We don't care what you ride, but being a Goldwing forum we do give Harley's the razz sometimes, in fun. :waving: One of my brothers has an 2010 Ultra. We ride together whenever we can.

John

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

You might try JP cycles catalog for another windshield. They even have a separate goldwing catalog! So tell us. How donyou like the wing? A very different experience from a harley. It's OK you can admit it!:applause:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Cee Bailey makes a very nice shield.

I have one on my Christmas list for Santa.:readit::readit::readit:

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

If I remember correctly the Slipstreamer windshield leans back a good bit more than most others. I think cutting it down might let the wind hit you smack dab in the face. Take a careful look from the side and use your imagination as to what the air flow might be to see if this might be the case. If so get a different shield, then sell the slipstreamer if it is in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

studeillac wrote:
yeah i had the windshield taped off this evening and i will probably cut it down next week and it looks like ive got about five inches coming off the top....i will post some pics next week or so...

Welcome to the forum Stu. Be advised that tape left on a windshieldovertimemay leave a residue on theplastic that will affect the clarity of the shield. Read the comment section of this you tube video. Cutting my windshield 2 inches is going to be one of my winter projects.....-Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQj05Db-C3c

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

If it's in the budget, you might consider getting a new stock windshield and then cutting that down. That way you don't ruin that nice slipstreamer.

I had a Tulsa tall windshield on my 1200 and I wanted shorter, so I bought a stock one as I didn't want to ruin the Tulsa.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

i had a tall whindshield on my 1500 not shure what brand but slanted back badly. Was like beening in a bubble. Cut that sucker down 6 inch's or so. i think I may go more next yr. no point in saving a piece of jubk like that!
Wilf

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

Hello, and welcome to this great forum!:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

After I cut mine down with a "cut off wheel" (taped first), I simply started sanding the edge with 80 grit and progressed all the way up to 1500 grit for the final sanding.....never could tell that I have touched it...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Make sure that you finish the edge well. A nick left on the edge is the start of a crack.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I uded a jigsaw with a plexiglass blade cut very smooth and easy. it's a very simple job realy just make cut in one contiuos motion from side to side no stoping. and yes do it with the windshield on the bike.
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Hey studillac
Why not loose the ugly front fairing altogether and go with a mephis shades style windshiled and make it a bagger.
Will be just as comfortable for traveling and really better looking
wilf

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.