·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well hi folks!!
After being having my wings clipped about 12 years ago
i finally got them back today THANKS to a very kind man
This is a almost stock 86 GL1200 interstate with 11,600 miles on the odometer that has been in storage resting on plywood not cement for about the last 4 years and used very very little before that. The engine oil was drained when put into storage and will fill back up with Mobil 1 Synth. I have seen where i need to fix the stator plug before anything happens and will do before the battery even goes in it. The fuel had stabilizer added but i will drain it before attempting to start it with fresh fuel. The rear brake is weak but will pump up so should just need blead. Needs about a day washing and waxing. I think i will need to get rid of the floor boards and heal toe shifter and go back to pegs. I'm 6/2 tall and the handle bars/windshield seem kinda short but i have not rode it yet.Any thoughts on what else i should do before calling it road worthy? I'am pretty handy with a wrench and in the late 80's took 2 gl1000 down to the bare frame for a COMPLETE remake. SO i am a little ahead of the game just been away from it for soooo long.

Pat

PS. It has no radio cb or any of the cool stuff either but im sure with some looking around i'll find stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Pat :waving:and welcome to the best goldwing forum on the net ,,With a name like Pat ,,there must be some Irish blood in you somewhere,:leprechaun::leprechaun:,,Any questions ,feel free to post them and the guys here are always helpful ,no matter a silly a question may seem to you :),,Enjoy your wing and welcome back to the world of wings ..:waving:.cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Hi Pat and welcome. It might be an idea to get the timing belts changed after all that time. Do it after the initial test to see if the bike starts and runs. Also take a good look at the tyres as they can dry up and little cracks develop over time.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I looked the tires over VERY well and there is no weather checking BUT will watch them over the next few months.

After reading alot of posts back to page 20 anyway I think i have a few weeks of work ahead of me before i start riding it taking care of the 9 nasties. With under 12k i SHOULD not find anything really wrong.

Irish maybe but for sureLakota sue or so my gramma always said;)

Thanks for the welcome:clapper:

Pat

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
I looked the tires over VERY well and there is no weather checking BUT will watch them over the next few months.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Yes, do check the tires closely. I bought an 83 GL1100 and didn't mind the tires...then one morning going through a tight curve in a mountain road, the front tire blew/lost pressure and sent me to the edge of the drop. Luckily I'm part Irish, and the guard rail saved me. :) No major injuries to myself, though the bike's plastic and forks were a bit banged up. Just getting the final paint on this weekend...

Oh, and to be sure, there seem to be plenty of good parts left for the 1100 and 1200 models. If you can't find them on eBay, I have a shop near me with quite a few bits for the 1200 (especially if you like chrome). :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Jack:

I would think that if you live in Tennessee, all you have is curvey, beautiful, winding mountain roads. I can't imagine anything nicer than riding down to my grandmother's birthplace (Rural Retreat, Virginia) via Kentucky and Tennessee.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Beautiful machine and I love the colour!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Me to!! It has been in a garage almost all its life so far so it will SHINE up like a new one. There is no rust at all. The break rotors were even oiled up to prevent rust!! I have not rode or sat on another bike for the last 12 years so this is like starting anew for me. Gonna keep it slow and comfy as i gain my old skills back. Before islowed down and found Goldwings i did some road racing with a Kawasaki 750 2stroke tripple. If i remember right it was called a H2 something? But anyway i was getting pretty good at it and was always the one out front locally never made it big.Good thing i spose. But the point is iDID know how to ride and now 12 years after selling my last wing i have another(Picking up next Friday) and am actually a little scared. I have refused all offers to ride or sit on a bike sense then for some reason. When i sat on this one it felt good but short. Im now 42 or 43 i cant remember and i dont feel like figuring it out and have long sense out grown the need for speed.

I figure i need to go back to what i remember to start with.

1. Know your limits. Im pretty shaky so keep it slow.

2. I have some parking lots near me. im gonna use them to practice in.

3.Remember It's the other guy to watch for He/She IS going to pull out infront of me.

4. Always wear my helmet. I had 43 stitches from not wearing one.

Sorry for rambling but i am kinda exited

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

And shine is the way of it!! The balcker they are, the more they shine!!

Oh, I forgot the sheer weight of a wing LOLOL!!! But you grow accustomed again. Your Saki, I remember the 500cc three cylinder two stroke called the Commando, but your was 750? When I raced, (Moto Cross and Trials) Sakis were always very competitive, but could not hold together for the course and would retire early. Yamahammers were slower, but they finished, which gave us the wins.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
Well hi folks!!
I'am pretty handy with a wrench and in the late 80's took 2 gl1000 down to the bare frame for a COMPLETE remake. SO i am a little ahead of the game just been away from it for soooo long.
Hey PatinIdaho :waving: Your welcome aboard, fasten your seat belt and visit often. :clapper: This first post of yours reads like a C.V. :grinner:Some of our members have a "Guru" title after their name, :cooldevil:this isawarded to the goldwing experts :weightlifter:who can answer any question on the Goldwing. :jumper:It would look from reading your first post that you are already in line for promotion.:skipping:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Great looking bike, I was away from bikes for over 25 years and then bought a fine '86 Goldwing. I really was surprised how good it felt to get back on two wheels. It pretty well made up the loss from selling my airplane. The main thing I noticed with the Wing was how heavy it was when going slow, especially in parking lots. I started riding with aearly 50s Triumph 650 and had a couple 500 and 750cc Yamaha and Hondas back in the early 70s. With those you could put your foot down in a parking lot turn, with the Wing it gets annoyed and just breaks the offending foot off. Just kidding, but I spent a lot of time doing low speed maneuvers just to get used to the heft of the machine. One other surprise was the power of the thing. I didn't expect the performance of such a heavyweight to be so impressive. It might not be a superbike in the corners, but it still has a very good kick making a pass on a country road.

I liked my 86 1200 so much I just had to try a 1500. Still having a great time with the new one. Welcome to the BEST 'Wing forum, I think you're going to like the new bike!

:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
PatinIdaho wrote:
Well hi folks!!
I'am pretty handy with a wrench and in the late 80's took 2 gl1000 down to the bare frame for a COMPLETE remake. SO i am a little ahead of the game just been away from it for soooo long.
Hey PatinIdaho :waving: Your welcome aboard, fasten your seat belt and visit often. :clapper: This first post of yours reads like a C.V.
Okay REDWING I'll bite, so what the hell's a C.V.?

:stumped::baffled:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Redwing. wrote:
Hey PatinIdaho :waving: Your welcome aboard, fasten your seat belt and visit often. :clapper: This first post of yours reads like a C.V.
Okay REDWING I'll bite, so what the hell's a C.V.?

:stumped::baffled:
Hey exavid :waving:No to need to bite my son. :stumped:C.V. = Curriculum Vitae = A brief account of your qualifications and/or main events of a persons life. :clapper:This is nice explaining something to a "Guru" :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

OH Exavid the shame of it!!! You should have pm'd me and I would have told you.... Now Redwing has had to explain something to a Guru and there will be no living with him!!!

What are we going to do with him?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
OH Exavid the shame of it!!! You should have pm'd me and I would have told you.... Now Redwing has had to explain something to a Guru and there will be no living with him!!!
Hey Brojees :waving: Dont jump the gun my son, :cooldevil:your turnmight come when you need me to explain something for you :weightlifter:but then your not a "Guru" so it wouldn't really matter. :stumped:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks guys!! Someone said airplanes I have 6 if i remember right hare are two of them with me in the pic:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

To be sure and I know I will never be a Guru.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey exavid :waving:No to need to bite my son. :stumped:C.V. = Curriculum Vitae = A brief account of your qualifications and/or main events of a persons life. :clapper:This is nice explaining something to a "Guru" :weightlifter:
I'm glad to provide some pleasure to your bleak existence on your storm tossed rock! However in my part of the Stat an tSorghlais C.V. isn'tthat common an abbreviation so I'm not feeling too intellectually bereft at my abysmal ignorance. Please pass my compliments to Shep.

Sure was abuenas dias here,sunny temperature nearly 70F. Took the SO on the animal pelt (aka pillion) and cruised miles of country roads on theRed Lady.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the nest... :clapper:

I also purchased a very low GL1200A. It's perfect in every detail and has no rust..

I drained the fuel and replaeced the fuel filter, air filter, oil and oil filter.. Drained and re-filled the final drive. When I replaced the front fork oil, the left fork seal leaked after just 300 miles, so I ended up replacing them also. The timing belts look like new with no wear or crack visible and I tossed the spark plugs.. The tires will need replacement for the next riding season, not due to cracking, but cupping. I set the pilot screws and balanced the carbs at the same time. All I do now is polish and ride it..

GL1200's are beautiful machines and should bring years of pleasure.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

It is a pretty bike for sure and mine is almost pristine:D. Never out in the rain stored in a shop and coveredno extra chrome,lights. Thinking im gonna keep it just that way to;)

How long can a person expect a stator to last on this wing with fixing the plug problims before she is put into service?. It has under 12k and been stored the last 4 years with no oil. So nothing has been eating at it. I guess my biggist concern at the moment is drying out seals from setting with no oil:?

I'm picking it up friday and i can tell you friday is not getting here fast enough;)

Pat

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.