Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here installed the HID bulbs for the 1500 headlight which Cyclemax is currently offering?

Happy with them? Any installation tips?

Cheers!

T.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have these on my 1500. Installed them this past summer and don't know how I got along with out them! I had trouble with 1 bulb. Contacted the company directly. No questions as I went through some trouble shooting on my own to prove it was the bulb. They apologized for the situation and sent me 2 new ones via 2 day delivery. Everything was plug and play. No cutting of any wires.

Guys that I ride with are amazed of how white and bright they are. They usually ask me to drive first because I can light up the road so well. One thing that I did do was put 1 washer on the top mounting to push the light down slightly further as I was beyond adjustment. With out that, I was getting flashed often. Since I did this, it has stopped.

The price is higher than others but I really didn't want to be cutting wires and I really like the customer service from GoldwingHID's. I just felt when messing with something like the lights, the last thing I wanted to do was to cut corners.

Recently went on a 2200 mile trip with no problems.

This is a daytime picture of the headlights if I can get it to show up.....

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Can the screw under the light housing be adjusted to help with aim, or is that all the way 'down' already as well as the dash knob?
Is this the same kit offered by Cyclegear for about $55 each?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Have the same ones as Danimal.
Love them!
The hardest part was deciding where to put the high output block so it didn't interfere with my J&M CB. I have the control box located just in front of the left pocket.
Mounted the ballast in the faring just under the front turn signals. Only took me a couple of hours to install them. The only issue I had was they only supplied one of the socket adapters for my 89 1500. Contacted GoldwingHIDs and they shipped out a complete set, 2 for my Wing and 2 for the later model Wing. Had them within 3 days of calling them.
For the price at Cyclemax, I considered that cheap considering I didn't have to do any splicing. It is a total plug n play.
I highly recommend these... cost (through Cyclemax), ease of installation, support.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
New lens or old lens.

Danimal - what year is yours?

Grand Goat - did you chnage the lens also?

I have convinced myself to go to HID. My question is whether to upgrade to the later headlight lens as well. The kit from Gary is available with or without the 98-00 lens. I'd like some real world experience of whether it's worth the extra money.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Those lights are on a year 2000, 1500 wing.

I'm not sure about the screw under the light housing. Maybe I'm missing something there. I've had my lights out several times and only know of the headlight adjustment on the dash. Might learn something here that I'm unaware of.

Grand Goat - I placed my ballast in the same pockets on each side. Lots of room there. I guess what you are calling the high output block I place mine the small opening that is in the center between the 2 lights. Biggest thing for me was stuffing all the wires around because the headlights won't fit if the wires get behind them. That part is a little snug but it fits.

Dusty is right as usual. This is a 2 bulb kit with high and low beams both HID.

Good luck. I don't think you'd every look back if you upgraded.

Oh, by the way. I added LED's on the lights to the side of the HID's as well. Before they were yellow like the bottom lights. I need to do the bottom ones as well but just haven't got around to it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Just off the center center of the front grill piece you remove prior to removing the headlight assembly. Look through it or remove it (two screws). You will see two plastic 'wings' that a smaller phillips screwdriver will fit it. It is a geared assembly that adjusts the reflector up/down of the headlight. If you have the headlight assembly off the bike you will see it on the bottom of the housing.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,909 Posts

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Havent seen anyone mention this either, the 98-2000 headlights require shims under the new bulbs if installing aftermarket bulbs..If you do not install those shims it can cause the new bulbs to be too close to the plastic and can cause melting, so please be aware of this...I have a 93 SE with 95/105 watt h4 bulbs and they work amazingly well, i bought them off ebay for almost nothing and they do not have external ballasts or anything. If your being flashed while on high beams you should be able to adjust that down with the knob on left side of fairing, hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Sweet, I do beilieve I am ready to install HID headlights. I have replaced my running lights with HID's and I am very happy with hem. I just need to readjust the beam on them as they seam to angle toward the side more than I would like. I want them facing a little more to the front. With the headlights and running lights I should be able to see pretty good at night....as if I ever ride at night. hahaha

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Grand Goat - did you change the lens also?

No I did not change the lens. At the time I purchased my set, Cyclemax did not have the offer with the newer lens :(. Had they, I would have changed the lens.
Word of mouth from a couple of my friends say the newer lens has a better reflector setup. Don't know it is true or not, just what I heard.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Grand Goat - did you change the lens also?

No I did not change the lens. At the time I purchased my set, Cyclemax did not have the offer with the newer lens :(. Had they, I would have changed the lens.
Word of mouth from a couple of my friends say the newer lens has a better reflector setup. Don't know it is true or not, just what I heard.

Yes the newer lenses put out a better light pattern. I have worked on a 97 old style and had my 99 next to it in garage and out on the road. By far the newer is better, just with halogen bulbs, so you will get more light with HID set up in them too as there is not going to be breakup of Light beam through the clear lens as compaired to the defused old style lens as the reflectors inside the newer lights do the focusing of the light beams along with the hood over the bulb to bounce rearward the outward facing beams toward the reflector.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
any automotive HID kit will do just fine just make sure its bi-xenon H4, you dont have to spend that much from cyclemax.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right then..............you guys persuaded me! Am installing the HID kit I rec'd today from Cyclemax.

One question for you guys who have already installed this kit. Where exactly did you guys place the ground wires from the ballasts?

Cheers, as always!

T.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Havent seen anyone mention this either, the 98-2000 headlights require shims under the new bulbs if installing aftermarket bulbs..If you do not install those shims it can cause the new bulbs to be too close to the plastic and can cause melting, so please be aware of this...I have a 93 SE with 95/105 watt h4 bulbs and they work amazingly well, i bought them off ebay for almost nothing and they do not have external ballasts or anything. If your being flashed while on high beams you should be able to adjust that down with the knob on left side of fairing, hope this helps!!
Working on Lopeha's 1500 I found 1 of the headlight connectors melted, it had a 100/60 watt bulb in that socket.

Right then..............you guys persuaded me! Am installing the HID kit I rec'd today from Cyclemax.

One question for you guys who have already installed this kit. Where exactly did you guys place the ground wires from the ballasts?

Cheers, as always!

T.

I put an HID kit in Lopeha's bike, I attached the ground wires to the radiator bolts on the outside of the frame. Bad news for you is you have to remove the lowers to get to them.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Like u Dave, was kinda worried about the melting issue, i read other peoples threads on here before installing those hi watt headbulbs....I had opportunity while doing some other things bout 3 wks ago and check mine out, they are just fine, no melting at all with the 95/105 bi xenon h4 bulbs in there. Bike has roughly 25000 miles on it since the installation also...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.