Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have been looking at HID bulbs for my 89 1500. I see bulbs marked Super White and
Hyper White. My Question is there a difference? Do I want to stay away from certain types or brands? I see them on Ebay for $1.99 for the super to $8.99 for the Hyper.
Is there a better place to get them?
Thanks
Bill :?

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Those cheap bulbs from ebay do not last very long at all. One of our members put some in his 1800 a couple months ago and has already replaced both. I ordered some too but had not installed them yet, and don't think I will.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Dave! do you where I can buy good ones? Are they the same as car bulbs?
I have never put hot rod bulbs in a bike.
Bill

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Yes they are the same as car bulbs, not sure what the 1500 takes though,H7 maybe. There are motorcycle bulbs made for more vibration but on a goldwing with the fairing mounted lights the vibration is no more than a car. I put real HIDs with the ballasts in my 1800 and Oh my what a difference. Just pick the brightest name brand bulb you can get.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Pretty sure the 1500 takes the H4.

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
imported post

Can someone suggest the best HID bulbs for a 96 1500?

:action:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You may want to try the Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA, 9003SU. These lights have made a world of difference on my bike. I know others on the forum use them.

Some say they burn out quickly, but I've had mine in for a year and they're still going strong.

I paid almost $50 for the pair last year, but I see you can find them on Amazon.com for as little as $17.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Sylvania SilverStar is not an HID bulb. They are conventional halogens that pull a little more power and are MUCH brighter. True HIDs are illigal to install in vehicles not originally equipped with them in many states.

You can wire in power from the battery with a relay from the headlight switch with smaller guage wires. Doing this with the SilverStars should provide enough lite for anyone.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Thats no HID.

hid stands for hi intensity discharge. produced by a ballast. if it does not have a ballast or is worth less than 50 bucks a set (bulb ballast), its not HID

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You're right guys, the Sylvania's are not HID. I was presenting an alternative.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

I fitted Phillips Superbright to my 1500. They mad e a big difference from the 40/45w's that were fitted. Upped to 60/65 was all I needed.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
by the way, 5000k or 6000k color is the best for driving.
questionable I am afraid William, according to the Lighting Research Centre 3800 to 5800k is optimum lightrange for the human eye. Above these levels the human eyes views a degrade in visibility and a blue or purple tint. happy to stand corrected if you can show a scientifically based article that shws otherwise.

Just a reminder that all retro fitted HID systems are illegal in the UK, unless you go to the trouble of trying to get yours type approved. Maximum penalty for fitting them is £2500.00. Any HID system ona vehicle legally, must be fitted by the manufacturer and must have washer systems and self levelling capability and projector lenses,again, fitted by the manufacturer.

Any European members would be wise to fit the bulbs recommended by the likes of Gogs 11, I had much the same fitted to my 1500 and have them now in my 1800 and I can tell everyone that the difference is like night and day. :)

Most published research on retro fitted HID systems say that the light pattern given using convensional lenses will throw the light pattern all over the place, making it potentially dangerous. This has become the DFT's stance now and they have declared that retro fitted HID systems are all illegal. Additionally a vehicle fitted with the HID bulbs will fail the UK MOT.

Nothing that I have typed above is intended to be in contradiction to previous posts, nore is it my intent to start a war about it, I have just done some research on government and other sites and am passing on what I found out. :waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.