Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Are there any real negatives to HID conversion? Both my cars have HID's and I have a kit for the GL1800 but I have not installed it.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
imported post

I put one in my GL1100 and no downside yet, best see and be seen headlight I ever had.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
imported post

I have them in all my rigs. Ran them in my 08 for 3 years with no problems and have them coming for my 2010.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Where do I get the conversion? Does the conversion cover high beam, low beam, and running/fog lamps?

Chief

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
imported post

You can do either or both hi and low, also the fog lights if you know what type bulbs they use. I just bought automotive kits off ebay, H7 bulbs for an 1800, 4300 to 5000K for best light.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Thanks, Dave. I think I will give it a try. Ride safe!

Chief

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

DAMN! I hope these lights are good as the install process was difficult. You need hands the size of a newborn and the dexterity of a gymnast.

I bought the kit from ebay - claimed it was for the GL1800, it is really just a generic kit. the directions start out "Open the bonnet",

I removed the meter panel with gives you a tiny bit more room. I put the ballast on the side of the fairing pockets. I am carrying the H7 bulbs incase of failure on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
imported post

I have them on my 08 in low beam and am very happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Cyclemax now sells kits. Not sure if its for all but i saw them in the 1500 lighting section

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
imported post

If you get the cheap kits off ebay they seem to work fine except I had some ballast failures on the more recent ones I bought for my car and truck, they sent me replacements. I had one in my truck and 2 in my car fail within the first hour of use but the replacements are still working. What I am going to do when I get the kits for my 1800 is put the new ballasts in the car which is a lot easier to get to and put the proven ones in the bike. I got 2 kits so I am going to just put in the low beams first because they are a lot easier and test the new ballasts in the car until this winter when I do a major maintenance to put in the high beams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.