Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've searched the forums and read about HID conversions, Halogen Driving Lights, LED Driving Lights, and the 300 Watt maximum output of a GL1100.

So far it appears that nobody has sprung for a good set of LED fog or driving lights since those that will improve the lighting run $200 plus. I also did not find any threads where anyone did actually install a HID replacement headlamp on an 1100. If you have, or know someone who has, I'd value your input.

I don't want to replace the turn signals with LEDs since I'll lose the signal auto canceling feature. I don't imagine that replacing the tail / brake light with an LED replacement bulb will "save" me much wattage, but I will probably do that as well.

Assuming I go with a HID headlight (~35 to 40 watt draw), is it likely to "save" me enough wattage to install a set of 55 watt halogen driving lights, or is this still pushing it?)

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I am running Fog Light/Driving lamps from autozone, replaced the h3 bulbs with HID xenon H3 bubls. 35Watts each, plus running a H4 HID xenon bulb on the main headlamp.

about replacing turn signals to leds.. i find that pretty much useless since turn signals only draw power when they are ON. what is worth replacing is the driving braking lamps to leds.

im running all regular bulbs with no probs.

i paid around $30 for the driving/fog lights, and $100 for the HID xenon kit, thats down here in mexico, in the US you can get a HID xenon kit for 50 or less on ebay.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I'll have to look into my headlight some more, I'm running a Trucklite LED with 2 after market fog lights from Walmart that I changed to LEDs.

I used the round foglights from walmart, the bulbs are MR16. I picked up my LED bulbs from Lowes. Light out put isn't really that huge on the aux lights, but they do light up pretty good.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

If all is well with the charging system and you only run the driving lights at highway speed it should be fine. I have an 1100 my son is using, it has a pair of 55w driving lights and he never turns them off and it has kept the battery up so far.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I run LED's in place of all the 1157/1156 turn,brake and running lights. My self cancelling turn still works. I also use a Bi-xenon HID bulb in the headlight(some modification needed),and run 2 55 watt driving lights. The stock system will handle this setup.

Then I built my own version of the poorboy kit for the GL1100.Now I have electrical power to spare (55 Amps or 750 watts)Even using all the lights, stereo, heated grips, heated vest and trailer at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.