Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have modified my GL1800 2006 Airbag to HID lights.
But since this modification i have to adjust the squelch on my Hondaline CB-radio to level 16 , to stop the cb receiving "white noise".
When i pull the fuse for the driving ligths i can use the "normal" level 4 or 5 on the squelsh .
Offcourse it is the transformers for the HID which is producing this electrical noise which destroys the reception on the CB !
I thougt it was a problem related to bad quality of my HID set , so i purchased a new set from another manufacturer , but the result is accurate the same !
I have the transformers mounted behind the combination meter , - almost as far from the CB antenna as possible , and as mentioned , my CB-radio works absolutely perfect , when there is no power to the HID system , so no problems with bad ground or something else there .
Anybody now a solution for my problem ?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Sounds like you've spent a lot of money to inadvertantly create a problem. I hope you find the solution. Keep us posted.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE :
I am wery hysterical with ratling from my bike , so when i mounted the first HID set ,i made a very nice mounting hardvare ( of steel of course ) , and bolted the house of the transformers (which is aluminium), to the frame for the windshield !
This mount was wery stable AND wery good ground connection , BUT - BUT : now i know (after some experiments ) that the transformers has to be isolated from the ground , otherwise they transport electrical noise !
To "newday777": Yes this was my first set , - and on the airbag model i dont see any space for bigger ( oh yes in the trunk ! ) LOL.
I hate to admit this : Now those transformers are mounted with cable ties !!!! - and ewerything works fine .

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
I had a similar problem with my first set of HIDs blocking the FM radio, they were not the digital ballasts. With the digital ballasts everything is fine.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
UPDATE :
I am wery hysterical with ratling from my bike , so when i mounted the first HID set ,i made a very nice mounting hardvare ( of steel of course ) , and bolted the house of the transformers (which is aluminium), to the frame for the windshield !
This mount was wery stable AND wery good ground connection , BUT - BUT : now i know (after some experiments ) that the transformers has to be isolated from the ground , otherwise they transport electrical noise !
To "newday777": Yes this was my first set , - and on the airbag model i dont see any space for bigger ( oh yes in the trunk ! ) LOL.
I hate to admit this : Now those transformers are mounted with cable ties !!!! - and ewerything works fine .
So are you saying the problem of "white noise" is gone with the cable ties and slim ballasts?

·
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are you saying the problem of "white noise" is gone with the cable ties and slim ballasts?
Both HID-kits i have tried is with slim ballast . (two different brands ).
My experience is:When these transformers is mounted in a way , so the "box" is grounded to the chassis , the frame of the bike transport white noise to the CB .
When the transformer not have electrical connection to the frame , everything seems to be OK.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1100 when I fitted hid headlight and tried to use the radio but I discovered a few clip on ferrite cores cured the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.