Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

My son bought me two sets for my wing and I love them.They are at least 3x brighter than stock.The only regret is they aren't bi-xenon.When I can I'll replace them with bi-xenon.

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
You don't need a motorcycle specific kit, this is the same thing and I know the seller to be honest, I had 2 ballasts in 2 different kits go bad within the first hour of use and he sent me replacements free.
I agree that the seller did good but that's not exactly a glowing review of the product he's selling.:?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Brew wrote:
Noob question for today. What is bi-xenon?
+1 Brew, I just got a Xenon HID bulb for my GL1100, I havn't put it in yet, it was gonna be part of my winter tear down, I didn't know it needed a ballast?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
Brew wrote:
Noob question for today. What is bi-xenon?
+1 Brew, I just got a Xenon HID bulb for my GL1100, I havn't put it in yet, it was gonna be part of my winter tear down, I didn't know it needed a ballast?
Bi-xenon has a electric mechanical hood to focus the beam to low or high beam. These are needed on the 1000, 1100, 1200& 1500. The 1800 use single beam bulbs like the one Dave has linked to.

Yes true HID needs a ballast to send a high charge to the bulb for to get the bright light output. If you bought just the bulb, then you need the ballast to run it. If the seller says you don't need a ballast, then all you got was a hallogen fillement bulb filled with xenon gas, brighter but not true HID.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

HID will run at 35 watts, if your bulb is rated at 55/65 watts its not HID.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I have been looking for a HID kit for my Mazda Tribute, there is a post in miscellaneous about that. Have been looking at about 10 different suppliers and have settled on this one.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

I can get a H4, 55watt, 4500K, high/low for $60.00. Two spare bulbs are $35.00. They have a lot more information than other sites and I sent in a question about the HID's and got a answer in 7 hours.

And their customer service dept is in the US and they know what english is !

·
751 Posts
imported post

Drifter I didn`t want to mess around with with changing my stock headlight system so this is what I did maybe ite not what you want to do but you do have choices ! I went here www.bikerhiway.com & went to there driving lights & chose the piaa-cross-country-Light or you can go to piaa.com but anyway then I went to www.chrischrischrome.com & got a driving light bar put on the piaa x-country HID lights & I really like them cause they are plug & play cause they have a built in ballest no trying to find a place to mount the ballest !so like I said you do have choices now & the piaa x-country driving lights are $488.00 so they are expensive but these are 25 watt & I can`t belivewhat a differance they make so the choice is yours !

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
You don't need a motorcycle specific kit, this is the same thing and I know the seller to be honest, I had 2 ballasts in 2 different kits go bad within the first hour of use and he sent me replacements free.
I agree that the seller did good but that's not exactly a glowing review of the product he's selling.:?
You are right in a way but the only failures seem to occur very quickly after install. I have been running them in my 1800 (both low and high beam) for almost 3 years without a problem. The ones in my car and truck both had a failure very quickly but since replaced have worked for quite a while now. And even with just one headlight it is still brighter than both regular halogens. Have not had a bulb fail yet, only the 2 ballasts.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks guys, I will be ordering something to go into my running lights. I don't want to change my stock headlights. I would rather add some HID running lights like hummer5205 talks about. I have a bar installed with some fog lights on it but I don't like them. I hope to replace them with HIDs. But, WOW, 488 smackers, thats a lot of money. Have to find something more into my price range.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

What is the bulb # in your fog lights ? You could just buy a kit and convert those, would be a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

It is H6M. I think thats what I will do.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

That will only be $60.00.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Following Newday and Daves wisdom I bought a $20 kit that will fix me right up, thanks guys.....:waving:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Drifter Tex
If you wanted something for the GL-1500 that is designed for the existing headlight setup go here:
http://www.goldwinghids.com/#!products
They have the same lights for the GL-1800 if anyone is interested.

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

SaiBeer wrote:
Drifter Tex
If you wanted something for the GL-1500 that is designed for the existing headlight setup go here:
http://www.goldwinghids.com/#!products
They have the same lights for the GL-1800 if anyone is interested.
Those may be better quality but I can buy about 5 kits for that price.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
Drifter I didn`t want to mess around with with changing my stock headlight system so this is what I did maybe ite not what you want to do but you do have choices ! I went here http://www.bikerhiway.com & went to there driving lights & chose the piaa-cross-country-Light or you can go to piaa.com but anyway then I went to http://www.chrischrischrome.com & got a driving light bar put on the piaa x-country HID lights & I really like them cause they are plug & play cause they have a built in ballest no trying to find a place to mount the ballest !so like I said you do have choices now & the piaa x-country driving lights are $488.00 so they are expensive but these are 25 watt & I can`t belivewhat a differance they make so the choice is yours !

Just looked at BikerHighway. The PIAA lights are on sale, $431.00. I would love to have a set by I thnk my wife would shoot me.:whip:

Or I would have to buy her a $ 5000.00 sewing machine. UGH....:thumbsdown:

Either way would not be good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.