Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190561950431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I installed HIDs in my 1500 today. I had installed HIDs in my pickup a couple of years ago and loved them. The kit I installed is high-low beam and is powered directly from the battery. I installed a switch and a relay so I could turn them on and off manually to avoid problems when hitting my starter button. That way I can start my bike then turn my lights on. HIDs don't like to turn on and off quickly. Each ballast fit in the faring behind the turn signals. I ordered a kit with H4 bulbs and cut the tabs off and they fit like a glove. I had to remove the factory glare reducers and use the ones supplied with the bulbs. These lights are powered by the battery with a 20 amp fuse but triggered by factory wiring harness headlight bulb plug. They only require use of one of the factory plugs. This is the second kit I have ordered from this company and have had good luck with the kits and great customer service. I paid $57.00 for the kit and have had great luck with the one in my truck. You do have to re-aim your lights because of a different bulb position in the housing. I also re-used the original weather seal on the back of the bulb. I just cut the opening to fit the new bulbs. The conversion took about 3 hours. Even though I used the 6000k, they make all of the other lights look a little yellow. The do offer a 5000k that is closer to OEM. I don't like the 8000k because they are too blue and not as bright. The kits aren't very expensive, so if I don't like them, it's no big loss. You must have good basic wiring skills, because the instructions aren't the best in the world.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I like it, I replaced my posiition lights with superbright LEDs and now my headlight looks dull. I need to check into HID for them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i feel like i am seen much better during the day in traffic

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of led's did you use

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Sorry, it's on the second page. It's title is;
LED positions lights

Hickey

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Nice job Mike, though I wouldn't mount anything electrical in the pocket lid myself as that posses a problem of someone pulling too hard on the wires and a short can happen, have seen broken off wires on bikes with switches and voltmeters mounted like that. A better spot for that switch would be using a master cylinder switch block or for the lacking of funds type, mounting your switch in the fairing plastic somewhere that doesn't have to come off very often. I was going to get the Bi-xenon HIDs for my 99 but will have to do it on the next bike.

I had those LEDs in my position lights and they worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i use the right fairing pocket for all my relays and my power divider fuse pannel for all accessories.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
as far as Durability, I have been running a similar kit in my ATV's for years now, made by the same manufacture. They are rugged. The withstand MX track conditions and have proven valuable at night. After 4years the ballast on my racer finally gave out, but I say it was well worth the money. I have been wondering how they would work on the wing and what kind of load they might pose.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have been wondering how they would work on the wing and what kind of load they might pose.
The load is less with HID and LED.
HID slim ballasts are usually 35 Watts total. Compared to halogen at 55/65 Watts.
You just want to be sure and wire in a switch to the relay for the HIDs to cut down the light start-up count as that is what Burns up the life of any bulb.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Interesting will have to remember this........JD

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
some are using a 10 sec time delay relay

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Informative! That would be what most likely finally killed my lights this week
after almost 5 seasons they finally gave out, and I'm not complaining either

·
Administrator
27,923 Posts
I wired my 1800(s) so the headlights do not come on until the oil light goes out. Very simple on an 1800, doable on other models.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Informative! That would be what most likely finally killed my lights this week
after almost 5 seasons they finally gave out, and I'm not complaining either
What did it? Not being on a switch or 10 second delay?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HID's dont like to be turned on and off quickly so to avoid the on and off caused by key on, then light off from start button, then back on, people will hook a relay to the oil light, kick stand switch, or use a time delay relay or a manual switch so the lights come on after the bike is running

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hickey,
How's the fit (inside the position lamp fixture), and durability of those 13 LED lamps you got from Ebay ? Are you sure they are the 13 LED. Those are almost an inch long on the bulb end. Some of the spaces in the fixtures are restricted. How long have you been running them ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.