Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 6,000 miles on my HID's. A Low-beam conversion I bought from Ebay. Headlight adjustment on my 2006 GL1800 is as set at lowest point on the dial by your left knee.

Approaching traffic never complains about lights, meaning I do not get "flashed".

However, about 1 in 8 trucks complains (flashes me) when I overtake him to his left. In general I am accommodating to trucks. I know they are working and I am playing.

Anyone else have this issue with HIDs? Should I be concerned?

I drive mostly on multi-lane, limited-access, highways and after about 21:00 and until about 02:00 it is mostly me and the trucks. After 02:00 and until dawn it is mostly me and the deer.

I love the HIDs, much more light.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Make sure they are aimed properly to start with.
Having them in the lowest position available means absolutely nothing since you have installed after market lighting.
Not knowing what brand you have installed, I have no idea how close to "legal" the projected light pattern would be!
You could be getting flashed because there is stray light being reflected upward from bouncing off the headlamp reflectors since, most likely, the HID "bulb" is not positioned properly in the housing.
Having worked in vehicle lighting for nearly 40 years, I am not a proponent of altering OEM lighting unless the manufacturer can "prove" the product is legal and improves "something" over stock.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Make sure they are aimed properly to start with.
Having them in the lowest position available means absolutely nothing since you have installed after market lighting.
Not knowing what brand you have installed, I have no idea how close to "legal" the projected light pattern would be!
You could be getting flashed because there is stray light being reflected upward from bouncing off the headlamp reflectors since, most likely, the HID "bulb" is not positioned properly in the housing.
Having worked in vehicle lighting for nearly 40 years, I am not a proponent of altering OEM lighting unless the manufacturer can "prove" the product is legal and improves "something" over stock.

I installed HID's in my 2003 Mazda Tribute and I do get trucks flashing once and a while. As Dawg says I believe there is stray light being reflected upward off the reflectors.

I too am worried about annoying other drivers. Other cars don't often flash me.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
If it is only truck drivers that are flashing you, maybe the beam is shining too high and car drivers are not affected by it.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a lot of experience riding on multi-lane, limited-access highways; truckers are not signaling it is safe. Truckers turn lights off-then-on to signal, they do not flash brights. They are doing what they think they can to make me uncomfortable as they don't like my light. I stopped accommodating them as a result. In the past I would always block the lane if they were signaling, stay well off their tail if one was going 1-meter-per-hour faster than another trying to pass, etc., no more. Now I give the maximum light and the same attitude they give me.

I don't need a manufacture to "prove" HIDs are better as I have eyes and these eyes can detect the difference in lighting. That argument is just plain silly.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
I have had trucks mostly and some cars bright light me in daylight but never at night, can't explain that. The HID pattern is exactly the same as the stock bulbs and is very well defined by the extra brightness. You can see exactly where the cut off is. I think because they are so bright people can't keep from looking at them so they think you have the high beams on. I am keeping my HIDs, I don't care what anyone else thinks of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.