Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my HID lights and used my adaptor rings and put in a pair of 55 watt H4 super white bulbs to see the difference. So my question is should i worry about the extra watts the H4s draw. 98 1500 ,,,, i like the light out put from the HIDs but i also like how focused the H4s are.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
your bike is a 1500 cc bike it is not plagued with the low power output that 1000's and 1100's and 1200's had, they had generators yours has an alternator

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the old bulbs i took out before i put in the HIDs were 35 watts each, were they not the stock bulbs

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
the old bulbs i took out before i put in the HIDs were 35 watts each, were they not the stock bulbs
According to the book...35 watt bulbs could not be stock.
What was wrong with the HIDs? And don't HIDs require ballasts or something to make them work?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the HIDs do have a ballast per bulb, the HIDs work very well i am just doing some comparison, i wondered about the old bulbs i originally took out, i had never seen 35 watt headlight bulbes except in my john deere mower

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Did you not like the color of the HIDs. I love them but it takes some getting used too as the road doesn't look as bright but they do illuminate everything. I am most impressed when during the day all the signs and line markings that are reflective light up even in bright sunlight. The best part is you really stand out to the other motorists.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i will end up going back to the HIDs but i am going to go from 6000K to 5300K to get a whiter light. I have been running them in my truck for 3 years and love them

·
Administrator
27,932 Posts
Go to the 4000K for the whitest and brightest light.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks dave the 6000 were too blue for me, if i was 16 they would be cool

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found it in my honda service manual, 45 watt

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Stock 45/45

Only beef with HID in a bike - they wear out more by duty cycle count than time burning. Every time you start the bike the lights run two duty cycles (on with key, off with starter, on with start button release).

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i put mine through a manual switch so i start the bike then turn on the headlight

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I do just fine with the H4s. On high beam they make more than enough light. I also want to be seen, but I have been blinded to many times by oncoming traffic with HIDs. Even when the vehicle came with them from the factory, they are way to bright. Technically it is not legal to modify a vehicle that came with standard halogen lights to use HIDs. They cannot be properly dimmed. Looking at an HID light is like arc welding without a hood.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
So far my friend. soon or later you will see the plug melting and the wiring getting hard. not to mention probably risking other wiring around them.

been there. seen that. the wiring is not designed to that much current draw
Yep, 3 years - 20,000 miles & waiting :?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.