Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hidy,
Frank from Bama here.

Just purchased my next GoldWing. It's an 83 GL1100 that's sat out this season and I believe the last as well. If I understand correctly, she was last stated nearly 2 years ago. They had new tires put on it then just let it stand.

Here she is.

Right now, plans are oil, coolant and clean/sync the carbs and get her running. From there we'll see her vital signs are.

Have a good'n all,
Frank

·
Premium Member
61,216 Posts
Hallo Freaky_1

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Welcome, Welcome To Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum so withany Maintenance you do.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were 'Goldwings in their previous lives and can answer any question you have. The forums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum
General Motorcycle Discussion Forum
These have the best info about your bike and are where you ask questions and get help..

For Sale/Wanted Forum Good stuff for Sale....

And when you just need a good laugh:: Fun Forum Again Welcome to the Forum...

And A Big Welcome From Clermont, Indiana.....

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Welcome from North Dakota

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:Freaky_1
Most new members don't realize that the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum is much like an extended family and as such we like to get together on various occassions to renew old friendships and make new ones. For example, each year we put together a huge celebration called the North American Steve Saunders International Rally (NASSIR). Unfortunately you've just missed NASSIR 6 in Simcoe, Ontario however there is plenty of time to plan on attending NASSIR 7 which is being held in Fontana Dam, NC on July 8-10, 2014. If you want additional information please follow this lnk and it well take you to a dedicated information page for the event! Welcome aboard!!!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/13-nassir-meet-n-greet-forum/444833-nassir-7-information.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome,

I've already started planning NC 2014 :)

As expected, it's an 82 GL1100I (though the "I" is obvious). It's tires were new last summer and have nearly 200 miles on them. Didn't know it till I picked up the paperwork today, but it's a one owner bike with full history. Doesn't really mean all that much, but I always like getting full history.

It's a runner. Needs some work but it runs and that's as far as it goes till I get some parts. Timing belts last changed in 92 so I didn't bother to pull the cover and look, they're getting replaced. Thinking of doing the cheap tensioner mod, but dunno yet. Fuel pump leaks and I definitely need to do something with the stator connector. All of this is minor and expected. The center stand is missing, but I don't expect it to be a big deal to find.Compression is in the 150 to 155 range.

What wasn't expected was the need of gorilla tape to make it run. Both left carburetor bodies are broken thanks to a ham fisted mechanic. He had them done at the same place that put the tires on it and their mechanic shouldn't be allowed near a toddler's toy tool set. Need to find a couple carbs, but may well just save up and buy a set and be done with it. I'm even toying with the idea of the twin 40 webers, but that just seems like alot of carb.
All told, it's in better shape than expected, even with the carb issue.

She's destined to lose the "I" in favor of an "S" as far as styling goes and I really want to lose the comstars at some point. May even do some sort of fork swap if I find something that won't look like crud that's a fairly simple swap. Not going cafe with it, but not absolutely stock "standard" either. It's gotta look like it could have "came that way".

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small update posted here as I am less than crud at taking time to get pics/vid.

Pulled the lowers, 2.5 tons of aftermarket bobs, swapped the carbs for a good rack (not messed with, just flowing so will be removed again to go through), timing belts, water pump (as I had one), fuel pump (was leaking), and cleaned half a million electrical connections. Played it lazy and didn't pull the fuel tank just yet. Wanted to know it was worth it first, so popped a hose from the fuel pump inlet to a 5 gal jug. She's a keeper! Fairly impressed with it at this point.

Still a good bit to go, but so far, everything's working as it should and it's a smooth runner (mind you the carburetors still need attention). Haven't serviced the final drive or touched the suspension. brakes and bearings in the least.

I am going to have to pull the starter and wake it up but shouldn't be a big deal......... Though I'm starting to REALLY miss having a center stand.

Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.