Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Would you consider 32,000 miles on an 81 hight mileage? If not, would $2,700 be a good price, all things being equal?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

pasvorto wrote:
Would you consider 32,000 miles on an 81 hight mileage? If not, would $2,700 be a good price, all things being equal?
I bought my '85 with around 70,000 on it and have not had major problems. If the bike is in good condition, 32,000 was probably just the break-in period. If you take good care of these bikes, you can expect to get 200,000+ miles out of them.

$2,700 is a good price, but it all depends on what it's worth to you to ride the greatest bike ever built. (I got my bike by trading even up for a bike I paid $400 for, so getting an '85 Aspy for $400 is a pretty good deal.) I saw an '86 selling for $2,500 near me.

If you can afford the $2,700, you won't regret it, all other things being equal.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

32,000 on a nearly 30 year old vehicle? Are you kidding? That's considered INCREDIBLY low mileage.

$2,700 is high for a GL-1100 but if this has the physical appearance to match the low miles, it could be okay.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

It does have the appearance to match. I am also looking at a different one (81 as well) that has 22K miles on it.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

You won't go wrong with either of those bikes (if a GL1100 is what you're looking for), assuming that they're in good condition. I'd be certain to see if your motorcycle mechanic can take a look at them, hear them run, and take them for a short ride.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I plan on riding them. I had an 81 GL1100 about 20 years ago. I really enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

pasvorto wrote:
Even though it has low mileage for the year, I would check it out very close. Sometimes old bikes can quickly become a "money pit" when getting them road worthy or restored.

Try to determine what it might need then do a cost of the parts etc. This will let you know if it's a good buy or not.

I have known old bikes to be in excellent condition "appearance wise" and in "very poor mechanical condition". It's not good for bikes to sit around most of the time.....!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Think of the Goldwing as a car. 32,000 miles on a car is nothing. Frankly I'd rather see it have 75,000 miles as I know it has been ridden instead of sitting around and collecting junk in the carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Why is the mileage so low is what I would be asking myself? In other words why was the bike parked for many years? Typically by now most of the old bikes have been through a handful of owners that screwed up half of what they touched. Look it over carefully. Remove the battery cover and inspect the wiring in that area for backyard splices and such. Inspect the lower frame for rust, especially the removable frame section and the center stand support cross member. Check the charging system and the brakes very carefully. Approaching 30 years old the brake lines are over due for replacement, the Master Cylinders and calipers may need rebuilt or at a minimum a complete flushing, obviously the Timing belts are an immediate item unless documentes are provided that prove they have been changed recently. The fuel tank needs inspected for rust. The Carbs could need overhauled etc etc etc.

All I am saying is be aware that unless the Previous owner has a couple of thousand in shop receipts you will have some chores to do.

Do a search here for purchasing a 1100 and there is a detailed listing of what to look for.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Like DBohrer said, check it over very well. I paid $2100 for my '82 which ended up being a doner bike for my $250 barn find! The '82 looked great, had ~50,000 miles, ran OK (of course i didn't know what it SHOULD have run like!). Also had a bad water pump, jury rigged thermostat, and one bad cylinder. I just got took in by the looks and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket, I guess! At $2700, it should need NOTHING, get on and go. Don't forget to ask about the timing belts!

And what Wiskerfish said, X2!

Good wrenchin,
Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.