Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Performance Goldwing GL1000 Weber DFT32 / Motorcraft 740 Single Carburetor Conversion.

Too bad the valve springs of a stock engine can't keep up with the bottom end of a stock engine.

This DFT32/M740 carburetor is as calibrated from Tom Langdon.

I start off with a relatively cold engine and the un-choked idling rpm is high as a result. Once the induction becomes fully heated, the idle drops to 1050 rpm as seen at the end of the video.

...more vids to come.

https://youtu.be/KsGhd5fa6NQ

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm flattered.
...it's a CB-something setup to look like a GL?
Amazing.

No, just a bone stock '77 engine with a broken inner valve spring and my goodies on it externally.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I do appreciate it. Nice to see some comparing their modified engines to my stock engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
that's High Performance ? seems to rev a bit hard, might give that impression i suppose. how about some vision of the actual set up ?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's High Performance ? seems to rev a bit hard, might give that impression i suppose. how about some vision of the actual set up ?
Yep, it revs fine.
I've a lot of adjustability at the throttle. How it is set now keeps me out of the secondary most of the time.

I'm going to make more videos.
What you want to see?

It does sound good at high rpm, don't it...
Them Rinehart's sound and look real good.

In any event, the bike is reliable with that Stovebolt carburetor. I bolted it on and ran it. Then I heated it. Now were watching it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, it revs fine.
I've a lot of adjustability at the throttle. How it is set now keeps me out of the secondary most of the time.

I'm going to make more videos.
What you want to see?

It does sound good at high rpm, don't it...
Them Rinehart's sound and look real good.

In any event, the bike is reliable with that Stovebolt carburetor. I bolted it on and ran it. Then I heated it. Now were watching it.
what i meant by revving hard was, it seems to be revving HIGH at a given speed on the highway.
must be thirsty.
a few shots of the set up itself would be ok.
i don't doubt its reliability, it's a Honda.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, yes. It does rev high.
It revs harder and higher with a DCD on it.
At the top of 4th gear, the Brosol struggles to climb past 8k.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
i dont think you are getting what i mean re revs. it looks to be around 5,000 at 65 mph. that is high. has the gearing been changed somehow ? do you make it into fifth gear ?
regardless, ( and i don't mean to upset anyone ) i would be reluctant to call it high performance. because it may seem fast , but it isn't.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not certain I know what you wondering.
I've a '77 engine in a '78 frame with a 16" Lester wheel.
What gearing are you refering to?

I think you're saying that there is not enough road speed compared to the rpm for your liking to call it high performance, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not certain I know what you wondering.
I've a '77 engine in a '78 frame with a 16" Lester wheel.
What gearing are you refering to?

I think you're saying that there is not enough road speed compared to the rpm for your liking to call it high performance, right?
ahh, the 16 inch wheel would explain the higher revs.
not enough speed compared to rpm. correct.
ever ridden a fast, powerful bike ? an old wing is no slouch, but could not be ever called high performance. in my opinion.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's probably true.
This is no racebike.
It's not bad at holding it's own to other 'Wings though.
...some other bikes as well.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm working on capturing better sound while recording.
I need to pull the radio for a better shot at the roadway ahead.
The last video was shot using my phone with a t-mount attached to the center of the shelter lid.
I've a mini-DV recorder that will allow for better audio recording with dual mics down at each muffler.

I will get the GPS in the frame on the next video ride.

I need to film more of my rides.
The bike is really flexible in how it can be ridden.

It's current "$300 parts-bike engine" needs a little valve spring work. Stock 35 year-old inner valve springs don't like me..

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I'm flattered.
...it's a CB-something setup to look like a GL?
Amazing.

No, just a bone stock '77 engine with a broken inner valve spring and my goodies on it externally.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I do appreciate it. Nice to see some comparing their modified engines to my stock engine.
bone stock? broken valve spring? modified goodies?? need more info dude,

all gearing aside,

how you figure a 1200 engine with early heads and cams using a tuned dft would make out in comparison? where all info and vids are available via links

this thread does look like ~ about hi po goldwing stuff with dft, though does say gl1000

"High Performance Goldwing GL1000 Single Weber DFT"

the bike i mentioned is (pretty sure, but certainly not a 1200) actually a gl1000

maybe this thread is focused on the 1000 bike & engine combo hi po stuff?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking it'd make out pretty good.
I'm thinking a tuned DCD to be even better. I'm certain Tom's M740 carburetor is not the best carb for that engine.
No doubt Steve and others found a beneficial way to build. They seem to hold up so far.
I got valvetrain issues with stock 1000 heads. Too much sustained high RPM and the inner valve springs don't last. Don't know if them 1200 bottom-ends are what I want.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
had another look at your first post and looks to me like the focus of this thread is your setup,

up to you tho if about that or a free for all about
High Performance Goldwing GL1000 Weber DFT32 / Motorcraft 740 Single Carburetor Conversion.
stuff, or a focus on that combo, including engine

wasn't clear to me from the start

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's just a video of me riding the bike.
I wanted to open it up.
I wasn't looking at the gauges.
Doesn't look like I hit 9K rpm to me. Close, but looks shy of it.

Had to "name" the video.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
What bike is your tach from? Looks like Kawi or Yami, might be from three cylinder bike? Electronic or cable driven. Just doesn't sound like its revving that high, but that could be the exhaust.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Three cylinder bike? Two stroke? What're you talking about? That gauge set is from a Kawasaki KZ. I've KZ left-side controls as well. I don't think I have any other KZ parts on it. I've a thread on each somewhere.

Why? How high do you rev that bike you got? You run a 1200 w/1000 heads don't 'ya? How high do you spin that thing, and how long do you hold RPM high like that?
You're still running factory too, ain't 'ya...
How you like the power of them factory carbs give that motor?

Yeah. What do you want know again?..

·
Registered
36 Posts
What bike is your tach from? Looks like Kawi or Yami, might be from three cylinder bike? Electronic or cable driven. Just doesn't sound like its revving that high, but that could be the exhaust.
yes. some thing dont sound or look right here. and why do you need to rev the thing to 4000 to take off.
had another look and that tach sure swings fast, it it turboed ?

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
yes. some thing dont sound or look right here. and why do you need to rev the thing to 4000 to take off.
had another look and that tach sure swings fast, it it turboed ?
I used to have an '86SEi and a '84i, both of them ran like that.
Would rev super fast...

I rode them to work everyday in Phoenix, AZ on the freeways for 16 miles in Hot Rod kill'em traffic. If you did not run 85 mph you would be run down.

sometimes, when in a hurry, I would shift back into 4th and go WOT to pass a "slow poke" and either bike would be past 115 and turning 8k or more... the flat fours just want to run, and they are quite happy turning 7500-9000.

It has been 8 years since I owned them, so I forget the exact relationship between tach and speed/gear. but I well remember their willingness just go...

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.