Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here,s one for the technicians. Recently completed my annual european tour on my 1989 GL1500. Approximately 3k miles of total reliability and fun. I did notice though ,that when my speed rose above 85 mph, I developed a shake/ vibration through the handlebars. I have never noticed this before and is a bit worrying. I have had the bike serviced in June this year. The steering stem bearing was changed out along with the front wheel bearings during the service, I had two new oem front brake discsinstalled also. I have Avon Venom x tires, with approximately 4k miles on them. The front springs are progressive, with a 450ias rear.

The shake/ vibration definately feels like it is coming from the front end. My thoughts are:

1) possible wheel balance / alignment (twonew front discs fitted)

2) steering stem bearing torque setting incorrect.

3) progressive front springs fluid goosed.

I am really not sure where to start, apart from trying them all. I would greatly appreciate some input from "the people in the know".

Thanks in advance yet again. (p.s some help needed , once again Jason. You haven,t let me down yet)

Scotwing

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Check the easy things first. I'd say get the wheel balance done asap, new brake disks and tyres would really need the balance checked anyway. If that doesn't do it then maybe a slight adjustment on the steering bearings.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Just a though, maybe its the tyre? Those Avons get bad press by Goldwing owners in general over here.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

scotwing wrote:
Here,s one for the technicians. Recently completed my annual european tour on my 1989 GL1500. Approximately 3k miles of total reliability and fun. I did notice though ,that when my speed rose above 85 mph, I developed a shake/ vibration through the handlebars. I have never noticed this before and is a bit worrying.

The shake/ vibration definately feels like it is coming from the front end.

I am really not sure where to start, apart from trying them all. I would greatly appreciate some input from "the people in the know".

Scotwing
The answer to your problem is, :shock:That you are breaking the Speed Limit. :shock:I have covered a lot of Europe and I still have to see a country with a speed limit of 85MPH or over. :XSlow down and the shake/vibration will disappear. :X

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
The answer to your problem is, :shock:That you are breaking the Speed Limit. :shock:I have covered a lot of Europe and I still have to see a country with a speed limit of 85MPH or over. :XSlow down and the shake/vibration will disappear. :X
The vibration must be a speed warning Redwing! No, the main causes of vibes in bikes in my experience working on them are;-

out of balance wheel or tyre
badly mounted tyre
knackered wheel bearings
knackered steering head bearings

Less common but worth a look;-

damaged or bent axle
damaged or bent wheel

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks lads.

Yes I think with the recent work done, that the tyre should have been balanced, especially with two new brake discs. The steering stem and front wheel bearings have been renewed.

Thanks again

Scotwing

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Skooter wrote

The vibration must be a speed warning Redwing! No, the main causes of vibes in bikes in my experience working on them are;-

out of balance wheel or tyre
badly mounted tyre
knackered wheel bearings
knackered steering head bearings.

Im very much aware what causes vibrations on motorcycles. :XThe point immaking to scotwing is SLOW DOWN before it's TOO LATE. :shock:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

I had a slight vibration or wobble at around 40mph which dissapeared around 55-60mph. It was doing my head in wondering what it was and a bike mechanic figured it was just a badly balanced wheel (I had a new tyre fitted about a month before). He balanced the wheel and the wobble dissapeared.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

well Mr Redwing.

You haven't been to the Isle of Man. We dont have a max. speed limit once out on the open roads, especially over the mountain on the TT course. We use this route to check for vibration at high speed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a trip to Island you will be made most welcome.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

A buddy of mine had the same problem. Change the tyres to the original specs ie Dunlop Elite! and the wobble will disappear!!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

well try this one my 88 1500 vibrates through the pegs and bars light butyou know its there . all the following have been checked

altornator inc bushes & damper rubbers

new tyres inc balance

new rear diff as old one wore out

belts were replaced last year and are set right

brakes fuly overhauld

headbearings replaced and checked

no play in the swinging arm

and every thing that needs greaseing has been done

thanks for any help

Glenn/uk

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
well try this one my 88 1500 vibrates through the pegs and bars light butyou know its there . all the following have been checked

altornator inc bushes & damper rubbers

new tyres inc balance

new rear diff as old one wore out

belts were replaced last year and are set right

brakes fuly overhauld

headbearings replaced and checked

no play in the swinging arm

and every thing that needs greaseing has been done

thanks for any help

Glenn/uk
Glenn, is your a high mileage machine? I've heard of this happen on 88-90 bikes with a few miles on (usually over 70k). Something to do with the engine casings where the main crank bearings sit. It's not reckoned to be of any significance and will probably never get any worse.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

sounds about right to me jason as it came on about 5000 miles ago

coudent find problem so thought leave it it will develop in to some thing

but its just the same got over 100.000m on the clocklong as its not going

to go bang .mite look for a good motor from a 95+ just in case

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I'm totally lost now.. We've gone from a shake / vibration in the handlebars to engine bearings... Seems like a shake in the handlebars would be front endsuspension etc.,,, Where work was just performed on the bike, perhaps a bearing wasn't fully seated, tire not balanced (static & dynamic), bent rim etc., etc.

High speed problems normally indicate moving parts in the front end suspension,,May I suggest looking back atall the postings on this problem because the cure is there...

This one could have been listed on my "quick reference" heading.. all the data and answers are in here, but you just need to drill down into all the rhetoric to get to them..:baffled:

All the chatting is fun though!:waving:

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

:)As I was the one that asked the question, I have an update. As per all the good advice, I had the wheel balanced and the wheel bearing checked. The mechanic said that the steering head bearing "felt about right". Still no cure though. My next move will be to change the forks fluid, as it has been in for a couple of years now. Oh by the way, the wheel balance was out quite a bit according to the mechanic. I have enjoyed the comments. Great board.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hi Joe

after postinga question on the message board, a suggestion to cure my front end vibration was change the fork oil. It now runs smooth. Hope it works for you.

Mike

Only the best maintained:18liteblue:stays out in front.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Yes Mike, I think that will be my next move. I have progressive springs and use 15 wt fork oilas advised when I bought the springs. Does anyone out there have alternative suggestions on the correct fork oil for the progressives?

Regards

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I believe in KISS.....Keep It Simple Simon.......This is pretty kindergarten, but when you put the tire back on, how did you fasten the keepers? Make sure the arrows were facing forward, tighten down the front bolts to specs. (About 60lb - two grunts and a groan) then snug up the back bolts. Wierd things happen if this isn't done right.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
I believe in KISS.....Keep It Simple Simon.......This is pretty kindergarten, but when you put the tire back on, how did you fasten the keepers? Make sure the arrows were facing forward, tighten down the front bolts to specs. (About 60lb - two grunts and a groan) then snug up the back bolts. Wierd things happen if this isn't done right.

Good observation Kyle. Is it actually possible to fit the keeper caps the wrong way round?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.