Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Some one I know has one of these "flash your highbeams to open the garage door" sets and I was looking into doing something like that anyway cause I'm tired of digging my remote out of the frairing pocket.

Anybody have any experiences or comments about these?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have never used one of those. but i've read online that are really easy to install and work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Somewhere I've seen where a remote was wired into the bike and a button on the dash operated the remote. Flicking the high beams at the door doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it works with a sensor that only works when you flash the high beam them at a fixed amount of times in certain seconds. lets say, flash them 4 times in 2 seconds and it will open or close the garage. is not just a remote control wired to the high beam switch

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

I have a craftsman garage door opener and they make a keychain size remote. Makes it simple for me since its just hanging right where I want it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

I'm not real keen on the idea of using light flashes.

Joe Barleycorn is sitting down the street. The first time he sees your lights flashing, he is just amused.

The 2nd time, he notes the garage door opened up.

The 3rd time, he has a pencil and pad handy and pays attention to what you are doing.

The 4th time you leave, so does all of your belongings.

Nah, not for me.
:leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There are some ways to operate the opener by shifting the headlights from dipped to high beam. A fairly large capacity capacitor and a simple resistor network to apply the proper voltage to the opener that had its pushbutton permanently closed would do the job. The capactior would allow a short pulse of DC to pass when you switched the high beam off or on, the resistor network would regulate the applied voltage to the opener and it would send out the signal because the pushbutton was always closed. You'd only get a pulse of DC when the beam selector switch was changed and the capacitor would discharge through the opener so it would be ready to repeat the process in a few seconds.

Rather than go to the bother I simply used double stick tape to attach my opener to the left side of my left fairing cubby. All I have to do is to open the two bottom left snaps as I approach and push the button inside the cubby. Since it's attached to the wall of the cubby it really doesn't take up much space inside.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I just hang my opener on the clutch cable..the clip that's made for the visor in your car works on the cable and the opener slides forward and is barely noticeable..so no one knows it there. I can just reach up and push the button as I approach the house.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I get off the bike and open the door after unlocking it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.