Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have added enough electrical accessories that I feel I should also upgrade the charging system. The last straw was grip heaters. Does anyone know of any options other than buying a Compu-Fire alternator for around $370? Wingstuff.com says that replacing the battery with a High-output Gel battery at the same time is recommended. Any thoughts on that recommendation? My current battery is a year-old good quality sealed lead acid battery.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I would suggest you follow Wingstuff's recommendation.
The CF is designed to run with an AGM type sealed battery.
Some have done it without the AGM but I have both and I can see why it is recommended.
You can always go with your current battery until you see if you can live with it. Then get the AGM after that.
No other real higher output options than CF that I know of.
It's only painful once.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Any "tricks" to replacing the alternator? Wingstuff also recommends replacing the four rubber damper rubbers. How important is that?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

For the price & the fact you already have it out, go for it. You'll never look back. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

The rubber dampers get hard with exposure to heat and with age, when I did mine, I replaced them they don't cost much at all. When I put mine in, I read of some vibration issues that were had by others so I figured the new dampers would fix it (if it was the cause) Never had any vibrations with mine. As far as installing the comp-u-fire, It can be tricky to get her in there cause it is a tight fit and be very careful of the o-ring, I nicked mine and had to do it over again a few days later. You willknow if you nicked it in short order - watch for the oil puddles!

As stated earlier, the battery should be changed at the same time, there have been some who have not changed it but the higher voltage outut had a tendency to make you have to keep an eye on theelectrolyte level and I didnt want to have to pull the cover off every day to check it. It was just easier to do as recommended. I am not sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

RonBrugger wrote:
I have added enough electrical accessories that I feel I should also upgrade the charging system. The last straw was grip heaters. Does anyone know of any options other than buying a Compu-Fire alternator for around $370? Wingstuff.com says that replacing the battery with a High-output Gel battery at the same time is recommended. Any thoughts on that recommendation? My current battery is a year-old good quality sealed lead acid battery.
Try this guy. He rewinds the stock alternators to a higher output and gives a warranty at a lower rate than a comp-U-fire.

Many wingers are using his units and swear by them. I don't know by experience but just by reading others riders posts on another forum.

e-mail ken Heming at

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I just installed the high output alternator from Ken Heming this week. A tag came on mine saying 14.5 volts and he told me on the phone that it put out about 65 amps. A good guy to deal with. As said before is is a very tight fit.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Has anyone been using Ken Heming's HO alternator for sometime ? How do they work for you (charging & voltage ) ? I did not see how long he guarantee them. I want to update my system but right now a Compu-fire is a little out of the question.

Hickey

·
Pwhoever
3,118 Posts
imported post

He is very competent and has been around for quite a while. I am sure he would stand by his work. Send him an email and ask.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

tomusa wrote:
I just installed the high output alternator from Ken Heming this week. A tag came on mine saying 14.5 volts and he told me on the phone that it put out about 65 amps.
FYI, according to Compu-Fire's site, theirs puts out 90 amps.
http://www.compufire.com/honda-main.html

John

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Guarantee on the Ken Heming high output alternator. One year, for first six months full replacement, second six months pro-rated at $20 a month.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

That's one of the question I wanted to see but has anyone been using them a while.

Does it have good performance. I know it does not put out the same amps as a compu-fire.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
imported post

I was under the impression that the Compufire was heavy duty everything including brushes and bearings. Does anyone know how Hemmings units are in this regard?

If the later 1500 alternators were lighter in general, reworking the windings would only increase output not reliability.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Hi riders, speaking of alternators. I have a 98 SE with 17k on the clock. I am planning a big trip this summer and I wonder if i should replace my alt before i go?? Hate to have it go on me in the middle of the trip. Think my stocker will last a few more years?? It is now putting out 14.0 volts at running speed so it is working at this time. Thanks Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
imported post

Wingboomer wrote:
Hi riders, speaking of alternators. I have a 98 SE with 17k on the clock. I am planning a big trip this summer and I wonder if i should replace my alt before i go?? Hate to have it go on me in the middle of the trip. Think my stocker will last a few more years?? It is now putting out 14.0 volts at running speed so it is working at this time. Thanks Kevin
My 98 had 27K on it and while doing the belts I hd the alternator checked out by an alternatorshop and they said no problem.

Then I took off for about two weeks and smiled all the way.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Wingboomer wrote:
I have a 2000se with 28,000. Mine was also was working perfect when I changed out to the highout after reading many stories about the high rate of failure on late model 1500's. Go to Ken Heming web site at the bottom of page and he explains the reason (China). You will get different opinions on this and I know anything mechnical is subject to failure including the one I now have.I just want to cut down on my oddsas much as possible, that's just me.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

I have been told that a alternator for a GM Saturn can be modified to fit a 1500

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Hickey wrote:
That's one of the question I wanted to see but has anyone been using them a while.

Does it have good performance. I know it does not put out the same amps as a compu-fire.

Hickey
I have been using one since last August. Actually, I'm on my second one. The first one went bad after about a week....the regulator went out and it sent 17volts to the battery! Good way to destroy a battery, by the way.
But Ken is a straight up guy. I called him and explained what happened, he sent out a replacement the same day. I had it the next day....and he paid the freight on it. I have about 5000 miles on it now, and it is much better than the stock unit.

The only downside is that even though it puts out 65+ amps, it still has the major drop-off of output at idle, just like the stock alternator does. This is where the Compufire shines. They put out enough juice at idle speeds that your headlights never dim even if you hit the brakes. But is that worth an extra $200??? I guess that is up to you.

If you read about Compufires in long term use, you will find that they aren't 100% reliable either....there are multiple reports of breakdowns after 50,000-80,000 miles.
Guess it's a crapshoot.

Joe

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Rabbit wrote:
I have been told that a alternator for a GM Saturn can be modified to fit a 1500
Getting that front cover from CF is the problem. You'd need that to utilize the Delco CS130, then some machine work on the paddlewheel bore. I don't think they'll sell just the front nose piece. Might be worth a try to call, tho.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.