Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under the old system I could go to the forums page and see the forums I monitor highlighted. This makes it very easy to, as an example, go straight to the For sale or General forums. With no highlight I have to scan the forums list until I come across the one I'm looking for. Where or how do I set forums as read?

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
I was not aware of such a feature, the links change color, but have not seen the forums themselves highlighted.

Where was that in options?

I always use a Bookmark shortcut to go directly to the forum I want.

in IE, it would be ALT-A and then I ensure that the forums are listed in the order that I want.
Technical
General
Miscellaneous

now, all you need do is ALT-A (this brings up the bookmark list)
press A (this will select the first item in the bookmarks that starts with 'A'

now, if there is ONLY one item that starts with 'A', IE will immediately jump to that bookmarked page.

If however, you have more than one item starting with 'A', IE will wait for you to press another key. IF that key is the ENTER key, it will jump to that bookmark.

IF that key is the letter 'A' again, it will go to the next entry starting with 'A' and if that is the last 'A' entry, it will jump to that one, or you will need to press ENTER.

I have done this for at least 30 years in every browser made.

Firefox uses ALT-B to bring up the bookmarks list, then 'T' jumps me to Technical Forum.
'G' jumps me to General Forum,
etc....

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,
What I wanted to say and what I did say may not be the same. I said highlighted and you used the term changed color. I said forums and you used the term links. How do I set the forum page to highlight (change color) a forum name (link) once I use it? Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
Charlie, I have no idea, and I have never seen that happen.

The only thing that comes to mind is the "following" command.
On an Android forum that I frequent, they have a Subscribe To feature whereby you can mark the forums that are of interest to you, and then when you hit new posts, only "new threads" in those "Subscribed Forums" will show up.

If that is what you mean, nice feature, I will snoop around and see if there is something to trigger that.

for me, I have to watch everything, so it don't matter.

·
Administrator
210 Posts
Under the old system I could go to the forums page and see the forums I monitor highlighted. This makes it very easy to, as an example, go straight to the For sale or General forums. With no highlight I have to scan the forums list until I come across the one I'm looking for. Where or how do I set forums as read?
You can subscribe to threads or forums you want to follow under the drop-down menu in each forum or thread.

You can the view subscriptions here:

Welcome, VS Jeff. Visited 06-04-2015 02:19 PM Your Notifications 21 Subscriptions

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

Jeff

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
Okay, I see that and just added a Subscribe to Tech, General, Misc

then I clicked on Forums and see the list of forums...
nothing looks any different that it did before.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed back to classic and found that the forums I read were red and all the others were blue. I then clicked on a blue forum, test, and it turned red. From day one I don't remember setting anything up to do this, it has always been that way. Also when I run ccleaner everything turns back to blue to be changed to red when next accessed. Is this how a Subscribed forum works?

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
that is a feature in our browsers, not the forum Charlie.

if you reallyu want to screw up your browsing history,
Clear Cache, Temp, and History.....

Then every link you see for the next year will be blue until you click on it again.
Not something I like to have happen

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
good point, I just changed to the new format, and no way to tell if you have read that thread before or not.

VS Jeff, how come in the New Format, the links do not change color when we click on them?

·
Administrator
1,120 Posts
In the new format, the thread titles are no longer in bold once you have clicked on them. Instead of changing colors, the font changes.

~Kay

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
In the new format, the thread titles are no longer in bold once you have clicked on them. Instead of changing colors, the font changes.

~Kay

interesting, have not used that format long enough to even notice that.

I'm sorry, glad the new format is available for some, but I won't be using it.

that fact that some IDIOT decided to change the URLs of all of our forums has me royally pissed off about this whole update project.... you have totally destroyed 10 years of work...

None of my bookmarks will work today, none of them....
every single forum has the URL changed....
It might make it easier for a IT tech to read it, but damn it!!! that is not justifiable
I just shiit canned the whole entire Bookmarks List.

and the search engine? yup, it will find individual words, but it don't even come close to finding things under a Topic Search like my bookmarks did.

Sorry, but that is just the plain ole God's Truth, and I am not happy about this mess.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kay,
Still not what I'm talking about. On the page that list all forums (links to forums), all are in caps and do not change colors or fonts when accessed.

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
Kay,
Still not what I'm talking about. On the page that list all forums (links to forums), all are in caps and do not change colors or fonts when accessed.

charlie, I just now understood exactly what you were telling us.
I don't use that page, so would never have noticed.

I am a kybd shortcut feller....
If I want the Technical Forum, I use the keystrokes ALT-B 'T'
and that activates the bookmarks in Firefox and goes to the very first 'T' in the list.... then I just touch the ENTER key and up comes the Tech Forum.

Works the same regardless of using new format or Classic format.

but, I now see for the first time, that they are indeed ALL CAPS
and solid black.

But, I also just noticed down at the bottom of the page, that they change the Box Outline from grey to Bold to indicate that forum has new posts in it for you.

I agree, that Bold face Letter Box should change Color so that it stands out a LOT BETTER.

Hey Kay, that is a simple change, let's get it done.
thanks,
John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.