Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was going down I 40 this afternoon about 80 mph when I feel something pushing against my right leg, and no one else was on the bike with me. Well it was the panel that was coming loose. Luckily I was able to keep it in place till I got stoped on the side of the interstate and push it back in to place. Anyone else have this problem.

:jumper:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I lost a panel on my cx500 once, I saw it spinning on the highway behind me . . . tore it up completely. I think you can build the tabs up with some epoxy and get a better fit.

Chuck

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

You can get new grommets & rivets and put them on with ABS cement [about $3.] at any hardware store or plumbimg supply.

Also, you can getthe rivets & grommetsfrom JC Whitney & just cut them to size, taking or leaving what you need on the panel's present rivet. The ABS cement will never let go.

If you can't get the rivets/grommets to fit 100%, use a steel fishing leader to hook the panel to the frame...with enough slack to get it out of the way to do maint, etc., just so you can't lose it.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:

If you can't get the rivets/grommets to fit 100%, use a steel fishing leader to hook the panel to the frame...with enough slack to get it out of the way to do maint, etc., just so you can't lose it.
that would also do it detering someone from a snatch and grab:shock:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

You can also use a zip tie instead of the fish line leader. Drill a small hole where it can NOT be seeen and run the zip tie through it and the around the frame or bracket.. easy to cut & cheap to replace if needed to remove to work on the bike.

A small bit of heat shrink tubing over the pins will also make them fit more securely.

Clean the pins and then
push the shrink tubing over the pins and use a hair dryer to shrink it on securely

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Big John, That is what I did on my 1200 but I used liquid tape applied three coats allowing each to dry in between coats.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Some good ideas.Thanks. It does feel funny at 80 mph to feel something pushing against your leg. :shock::dude:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Mine did that, and left before I could do anything about it. :crying:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Lose a battery side cover and you'll be shocked to find out how much another one will cost when you can find one. New grommets are a good investment. I've used ABS cement for thicken up the ends of the pins, three of four coats of cement works well. I sit the cover rightside up over a can so the pins hang down while drying, keeps the cement nice and even.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

My 88 GL1500 has a small screw to keep them from falling away. Just pop a chrome button cover to hide it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.