Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Highway pegs....love 'em? hate 'em? got 'em? got rid of 'em?

I've got them (came with the bike) but can't seem to get comfortable with them on this bike. (I loved them on the vulcan and would like to use them on this bike) They're mounted on the crash bar. (see photo) They were all the way forward. Didn't like that, so I moved them rearward. It's better, but still not "right". I'd appreciate any input on the whole peg/floorboard/heel/toe shifter configuration and what folks have found that works for them.

TIA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I run the Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset pegs mounted to the vertical bar in my case guards on my 1200. The longhorns give me the option to move them around until I find the spot that works, then lock 'em down. They also have a universal mounting system so that they can be mounted on horizontal bars as well. There are several lengths of arms available.

If you can't find a way to make these critters comfortable, you won't find a way to be comfortable, period.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
imported post

On my 1500, my highway pegs were mounted to a vertical bar that would slide forwards/backwards on both of the crash bars.

I liked that, you could set them hi/lo and front/back to a position that lets your legs rest and relieve the cramps.

I like mine higher than the position your picture shows them in.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

i put the high way pegs on and then took the forward floor boards and mounted them to the pegs with u bolts , i hung them out as far as i could on the pegs , this got my legs away from the rear of the engine guards

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I have kuraykyn's on the horizontal lower bar on my 1500. On the highway they
are pretty comfortable. Originally I had markland boards with h/t shifter on this bike.
The highway boards are kind of what suits the person sort of thing. I never liked the boards for in town use because of the brake pedal arrangement. It was a nightmare
for slow speed manuevering in a parking lot, meaning emergency braking wasnt going to happen. I have a long inseam 36 and the ergonomics of the pedal and my long legs
just did not work. They were great out on the open road but riding in town they had
to go. The h/t shifter worked fine and if the brake pedal side of things had been different then the boards would still be on there. But I will not go back to boards again.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

Highway pegs or boards are a must for long distance riding. They may take some getting used to as a Goldwing is wider to get your "knees in the breeze" than other bikes.
I have mine set so that my legs are almost fully extended. On long trips I am able to move around on the bike changing the pressure points and staying comfortable for longer than without.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Lone Wolf, I also came from a Vulcan Nomad & am new to my '97 wing. This winter I'm going to remove the crash bars & replace them with the newer, '98-2000 style bars. Next to go will be the lower fairing trim pieces that flair out by your knees. Then I will install some hiway boards-pegs that will fit my 32" seams. I personally see any other way to get comfortable in this scoot...-Rich

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have them on my 1200 but only feel the need to use them on long distances, you need a friend to help you to find the best position, as it depends on your body type/size, so sit on the bike and extend your legs, have your friend adjust them till you are happy with the results. that's how i did on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I had the Kuryakyn Offset Duallys for a while on my V-Star and my GL1500. They were the cats meow on the V-Star. Pretty decent on the GW, I now have the Markland floorboards on now, giving them a fair shake before making a final decision. So far I am liking the foot position fairly well. If I could push them another 2" forward I think they'd be nifty. They are touching the vertical bar right now, so that wont happen. Good luck on your decision.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
This winter I'm going to remove the crash bars & replace them with the newer, '98-2000 style bars. Next to go will be the lower fairing trim pieces that flair out by your knees. Then I will install some hiway boards-pegs that will fit my 32" seams. I personally don'tsee any other way to get comfortable in this scoot...-Rich

That's what I ended up doing, as well.

The 'flair' of the original engine guards and the protrusion of the lower fairing corner trim pieces, prevented me from getting comfortable with my Offset ISO Pegs

I ended up buying the newer styleengine guards and a set of the chromed narrow lower fairing corner trim pieces and the leg'comfort factor' went way up:cooler: :clapper: ..... unfortunately though, the right hand fairing corner trim piece blew off(it didn't fit quite right) and a car ran over it before I could retrieve it. :X:whip: ....you can read about it - HERE.

So, I am back to using the original corner trim pieces.:( Although it's not as comfortable, I am too cheap to buy another of the chromed set.

BTW, I have a 34" inseam and have myISO Pegs set almost to the vertical bar on the engine guards.

Here's a picture that I took of the mess of my bike after driving through some construction on my Yellowstone Tour, but it shows the new engine guard/ISO pegarrangement well enough.

Hope this helps in your quest for comfort.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

On my 89 I ended up with Kuryakyn Highway Boards. They mount like the like the Markland's between the bars. I also replaced the vent trim with the narrow style trim. I always liked the boards better than the pegs gives more room to find more positions for you feet. Here's a pic...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Let's see...new engine guards, new pegs. Oh yeah fairing trim pieces. Uhh, ohh, I think it's starting already! Cha ching!$$$ :D I've only had this bike about three weeks. So this is what it means to be a wing owner! ROTFLMAO! Seriously folks, Thanks for all the great input. I believe I'll beseeing the above listed parts under the xmas tree!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Big Port Jimmy 6 wrote:
I want some Mick-O-Pegs. Jay
Now that idea I like. Nice and low when using, up outta the way when not. I wonder if, over time, they develope any play? Maybe ancillary to a fixed set?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I went with Rivco mounts, and kuryakin pegs. The setup is infanately adjustible, and cheaper than other combos I've seen. The trike had floorboards/heeltoe shifter when I bought it, and they were just not for me. I got stock pegs instead, which, with the Rivco setup works well. jimsjinx

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Big Port Jimmy 6 wrote:
I want some Mick-O-Pegs. Jay
Now that idea I like. Nice and low when using, up outta the way when not. I wonder if, over time, they develope any play? Maybe ancillary to a fixed set?
I really looked a set over at Wings over the Smokies. They seem to be very sturdy. And they are very simple. So they shouldnt break.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

lonewolf_one wrote:
Let's see...new engine guards, new pegs. Oh yeah fairing trim pieces. Uhh, ohh, I think it's starting already! Cha ching!$$$ :D I've only had this bike about three weeks. So this is what it means to be a wing owner! ROTFLMAO! Seriously folks, Thanks for all the great input. I believe I'll beseeing the above listed parts under the xmas tree!
Well my bithday is January 1st. So between Xmas & New Years Day, & should have 2 out 3 items covered.:birthday::santawaving:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
I run the Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset pegs mounted to the vertical bar in my case guards on my 1200.  The longhorns give me the option to move them around until I find the spot that works, then lock 'em down.  They also have a universal mounting system so that they can be mounted on horizontal bars as well.  There are several lengths of arms available.

If you can't find a way to make these critters comfortable, you won't find a way to be comfortable, period.
Man those are nice...but for me to get a set I'd prolly have to steal 'em off'n your Wing when ya weren't lookin'.

·
Premium Member
67,757 Posts
imported post

I would think mounted on that lower bar they would scrape real easy.. Mine are in the middle of the 2 crash bars and they hit the ground up there..

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Whenever you install pegs or running boards, spend a few bucks & buy grade #8 bolts! I snapped a peg bolt last year durring some evasive manouvers & almost did a face plant into the fuel tank! :shock:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.