Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm about to put beautiful chrome highway pegs on mt 84 ASP. The brackets are all chrome, so I'll be clamping chrome to chrome. They mount to the engineguards. Should I put something where the chrome pieces are touching to prevent rust and/or corosion? I was thinking about some cut to fit tape, or padding.

Thanks

Merry Christmas

Grant

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

If you layer anything between the two items you will have slippage. Especially something that you are resting your legs on. I have seen someone slip off of a highway peg and the results were not pretty. There may be something that would be a near adequate compromise, but I wouldn't risk the alternative. Jim

-- The bike I got from the dump (my now nice wing) had highway pegs welded to the engine guards. Who ever installed them should just have clamped them- the welding really messed things up.

No - not the Avatar!!! I'm just dreaming...

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I find the clamps slip if you don't put something in between! Now I always use a thin strap of rubber between the two surfaces and it slips a lot less (ie take longer to slip).

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

:)Hi Would thread lock used in looking nuts and bolts be any good ?If this is coated around tube b4 fitting clamp in place this may give added grip,!!

peter..

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I don't think a threadlocker would work because it's an anaerobic compound (meaning it only dries in the complete absence of air.)

On my 84's highway pegs I used a strip of polyurethane between the clamp and the crash bar and then torqued the bolts very tight and they haven't slipped yet in three years.

I guess if you have a serious problem with your's slipping you could use a piece of 180 grit wet sandpaper folded in two between the clamp and crash bar, just make sure that you really tighten the clamp bolt as tight as possible.

Vic

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

You've probably got it sorted by now, but I may as well give my two cents worth. Like someone else here, I use a thin rubber strip between the surfaces and it works very well.
Happy New Year everyone. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Newfiewinger wrote:
I'm about to put beautiful chrome highway pegs on mt 84 ASP.

Merry Christmas

Grant
Let us know how you like the pegs. I had highway boards on my '86 but couldn't find any good angle for them that didn't have my leg bearing on the after part of the crash bars. I'd like to try pegs if they work well.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The rubber strip works for me too, also where possible I put a spring washer under the bolt head to stop it getting loose from the vibes.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Let us know how you like the pegs. I had highway boards on my '86 but couldn't find any good angle for them that didn't have my leg bearing on the after part of the crash bars. I'd like to try pegs if they work well.
I've been lurking here for a while reading but never had anything specific I thought I could add until now. I hope this works. It's different than what I'm used to, so here goes.

Mick O Pegs makes several models that will solve this problem. They make a specifice model for the '86 or you could use any of the K/ models. I have the K/D-HS model with Kury 4452s on my 1800 and they work like a charm. Here's a link to more info about mine [very long with pictures] followed by a link to the manufacturer [who went to so much trouble designing the K/ model series so that I would have something that worked that he has now become a good friend.] You won't find a better vendor anywhere.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=740#740

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/ridingiswonderfulinc/index.html

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

werner1800 wrote:
I have them. Too long and the thin bar sways with weigh from the rider. Not much support.
You must not have the K/ series which are shorter and much more sturdy. The longer bars do have a tendency to act as shock absorbers. I have a longer bar on my upper peg [not pictured] and it does bounce a little when the going gets rough, but I like it. Others don't. Each to his own. Below is a picture of Model K/D-HS with Kury 4452s attached.The gold capis a prototype, I don't have a picture of the fully chromed version.

Here is my foot on the peg in the down position.

I've tried the other types of pegs, but had the same problemPaul mentioned plus my feet were so high, it caused my rear end to dig into the seat. These solved the problem.

Below is a picture of one of the builders, Ted Mick, on his 1200. Note the foot on the inside of the peg. The K series has the foot on the outside.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

I have the MickOPegs as well and find them great. Best setup I ever had on any Wing. :D

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I had a set on my 1500 but I dropped the bike once and broke the mounting bracket and took them off. Might get another set some day. Werner must be a very big man, I could never bend my pegs like he describes and I found them very comfortable.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
I had a set on my 1500 but I dropped the bike and broke the mounting bracket.
Ah Ha ! ! Now we have A "Guru" admitting that he dropped his :15red: I thought these guys do no wrong. :whip: Thats definately looking like another Tribunal. :crying:

:crying: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I agree with Jason and Eric. I had a set of Mick O Pegs on my old 1500 and I should have taken them off (mind you I don't know if the same set would have fitted my new Wing).
They were very well made, sturdy and well finished, no sharp edges or peeling bits.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks for all the good advice. Here in eastern Canada, the weather is no longer any good for riding. When I get them on and try them out, I'll try to post a photo and let you know what I thought about them.

I'm also restoring a 73 Yamaha RD250, and a 82 Honda 450 Nighthawk. Anyone know of any tech site like this great one for those era bikes.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and remember 2 wheels are 4 times the fun of 4 wheels!!!

Newfiewinger

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I didn't realize MickOpegs had such a wide range of bars. I think I'll treat myself to some next week.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Jim Mick is the man at Mick O pegs and his range of products has definitely got bigger in the last two years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.