Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

any suggestions on highway pegs for a 92 gw with the double bar engine guards was checking out the kuryakyn ergo 4050 cruise mount any other thoughts or suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Hi Perry, I looked on the Cyclemax site and the 4050 is designed for the later model 1500s, 1998-2000. I don't think they will work on your 92.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Not really, I haven't found any that I like very much either for my 94. It has the same engine guards as yours.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I had basic foot pegs mounted to my engine guard and didn't like them. The biggest thing on my 97 was the rear loop that attached the top and bottom bar of the engine guard. That and the lower fairing trim that was pretty wide. Using regular pegs, my foot would be twisted a bit and it was uncomfortable. I tried mounting them to both the bottom bar and the top bar but it made no difference. I ended up switching to these:

They are the 7330 model with pegs but you can get them with floorboards as well, Model #4054. They mount in between the top and bottom bar of the engine guard and angle slightly back towards you. That made it a lot more comfortable using them. They can be adjusted forwards and backwards until they are the right fit for you. If you take your time searching, you could probably get them for $120-130 range.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I had a set of boards that mounted to my 92 Aspencade with the same mounting system as Mike shows above. I didn't care for them too much, as the adjustability of them are limited to just fore and aft, so I ended up selling them to a member here.

Because of the rear 'hoop' of the earlier model engine guards and the stock wide lower fairing corner trim piece, I was looking for something with more adjustability.

I ended up purchasing the Kuryakyn K7976 Offset ISO Pegsbecause they offer a far greater range of adjustment and aren't scraped so easily as the boards, when heeled over in turns.

While I found these better than the boards, I found I could still scrape them when fairly aggressive in the twisty stuff, when mounted on the bottom rail, so I moved them up onto the vertical rail of the engine guard. (shown on my newer style engine guards, but will mount the same on your engine guards)

With these mounts, they do have a tendency to slip under pressure, so you should wrap alayer of wet/dry sandpaper with the grit facing out, to grip the inside of the mounting clamps.

The newer style engine guards make access to the pegs more comfortable without the rear 'hoop'. Another item that makes using highway pegs more comfortable, is removing the stock lowerfairing corner trim and replacing them with the chrome narrower set. I had a set, but the right side was ill fitting and fell off and a car ran over it before I could retreive it :whip:so I went back to the stock ones.

BTW, I have a 34" inseam. If you have a longer/shorter inseam,that could be a factor inwhichever setyou end up purchasing. :?

Dusty

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

That is some good information Dusty.

Hey Mike, I kind of like those that you have. Where did you get yours? I saw some on ebay for ~ $143 with free shipping. You have to be careful when shopping online. The base price may sound good but they will stick it to you with shipping charges.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

When I bought mine, I got them from Chromecrazyand I think I paid around $115 but they have since raised their prices. Kuryakyn lists the pegs for retail $159.99 and the boards for $199.99. So $143 and free shipping really isn't a bad deal.

Dusty is right though, they do only adjust forwards and back, and it doesn't work for everyone. But for me it worked out ok.They seem to sit far enough out and forward that mylegs miss the rounded out rear part of the engine guard. But, these are only the second style of pegs that I have tried. JMHO

Now I don't know anything about THIS PLACE but they are offering these pegs for $133.37 and free shipping....

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'm not shure if my engine gaurds are stock or not. It is a 90 1500 . they do not have the loop at the back perhaps it was cut off there is a upper and lower bar but not connected at back. there seems to be caps on the ends of the tues.

There are boards pretty much the same as the main boards.

I can ride with my feet on main boards or on the front boards. I can also ride with my heels on main boars and toes on front boards so lots of options

wilf

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

wilf......take a picture of your engine guards...it sounds like someone has cut the rear tube out.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I also have a set of markland highway boards ...work well for me and i also have 34" inseam...heres a pic..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I cut the loop out of my engine guards & glued 3/4" chrome end caps (available from Lowes or Home depot)in the openings. It looks like a factory set up to the uninformed. As to the fairing flairs, I just removed mine & replaced them with nothing. Again nobody has noticed. These two alterations have given me more room for my 32" inseam & hiway pegs......

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

I never could get comfortable with my cruise boards. No matter where I positioned them, it just didn't feel good. So with a little creativity and a set of 4 inch ergo mount replacement arms from cyclemax ($42), this is what I came up with. Now I can stretch out and ride in comfort. May not work for everybody, but it works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Pic of mine on my 90 1500. with modded engine gaurds The main board rubber covering is loss needs to be reattached. And a new brake peddale made that is the size of one on several harleys ive seen

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I got a good deal on the newer style engine guards for my '93 which made my Kury highway pegs a lot more comfortable. The Kury Ergo type mounts are better because they don't hang down below the bar as much as the clamp on mounts do, not so much scraping on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.