Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What's up with the comotion over the new "Highway" they want to put in that runs past "The Hill of Tara" , is that good for you "Wingers" or not ?

Clue us in on what's going on in our friends "Ireland" ?!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hi Wingdawg,

Well, it's a very emotive subject over here at the moment. See there are thousands of commuters using overcrowded roads built decades ago to get from their homes to work in the city of Dublin. This causes stress, loss of time, and costs the economy lots I'm sure. So, to cut a long story very short, it has been decided to build a new "highway" as you guys call them, to solve the congestion. Problem is though, it will run through some of the most precious and ancient countryside we have here. There are literally hundreds of excavation sites to be dug through, and who knows what they will find. It will probably take years to get through the legal challenges and courts. In the meantime, the misery continues for the commuters. The planners seem to have completely dismissed upgrading and reopening rail lines that are currently underused and underfunded. That is a very brief synopsis of the situation. I am sure that others will join in with their views also. Hope this helps...

Steve:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey "Orange 18" thanks for the reply!

Had no idea you have that much traffic over there!

When ever we see pictures of Ireland it's always remote beautiful countryside with no traffic !

I guess "Dublin" is booming !

Oh ya,in the midwest and eastthey call them "Expressways " and out west they call them "Freeways", Hiways is a term from the old days!

Tollways are "Expressways" that you have to pay to get on, not cheap either, it's a racket !

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hi again,

Unfortunately our image abroad has changed little over the years. Yes we still have wee boreens (dirt roads), shilleleaghs and leprechauns...but they all belong to a misty past vision of "The Emerald Isle". For over fifteen years we have boomed with our "Celtic Tiger" economy, the outward signs of which is lots of high profile USA style consumerism.
In the cities every home has two or three cars, with the "must have" SUV to drop the darlings to private school or tennis/balet lessons. Nobody walks anywhere anymore.(Sound familiar...?)Unfortunately our transport infrastructure has long been neglected so trying to catch up with roads, tram systems etc is a long and expensive business, leading to further traffic chaos. Biking, even on a big Wing in the city has never been more rewarding, as you sail past grumpy commuters in their cages stuck in never ending gridlock.

Steve:waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey wingdawg101 :waving: As you know i live out on the Islands on the West Coast :clapper:and we dont have any of the problems that Orange18 states. :clapper:I was in Dublin recently with my neighbour in his fancy Merc S500 :weightlifter:and we had to use a motorway called the M50 :crying:and the number of vehicles stopped on that road was unreal. :stumped:I asked my neighbour what they called this road and he told me the name had been changed to the M50 CAR PARK :whip: because traffic took so long to get through the TOLL :crying:bridge they all ended up parked on the road for hours. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Some of you fellas should try a trip down the Southern ring road in Cork, particularly at theKinsale roundabout, if you think that traffic chaos is simply limited to Dublin:whip:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

LISTEN UP YOU LOT ..move to beautiful County Wexford and enjoy the lovely potholed roads that are traffic free .....why are they traffic free? I hear you ask Because you would need a HUMMER to get from Ato B ,,most of the B roads in Ireland are in a terrible state ,,I reckon if the frame in my 1800 has not cracked by now it will never crack ...Ciaran

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.