Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing to holster the nine find the collapsible fishing pole and just poop around new mexico for a week or two. I'm needing however a bike friendly one or two man tent. I know you guys got this one!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Any of the Kelty 2-man tents, I use the Gunnison. Folds up and fits on the bike, nice and light.

Although why you'd want two men in a tent is beyond me.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
There are a lot of really good backpacking tents out there. Not sure how much you intend to spend, but don't go cheap. You don't want to be out in the middle of the night and find out a pole is broken or a corner is torn. A free standing tent doesn't need pegs to be set. Have a look at REI Co-Op. The REI Groundbreaker 2 Tent is a good value, but the rain fly is minimal. Camp equipment will take up space. By the time you add tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a pillow it doesn't leave much space. I have a 90L Thule Chasm duffel bag. The pillow goes in a compression bag and the duffel will hold the camp gear and a small camp chair. The duffel goes on the back seat. I also have a Polar Bear soft cooler. It will hold a 12 pack and 5# of ice. I keep beverage and lunch meat cold and pack a loaf of bread. That takes up one saddlebag.

·
Registered
422 Posts
+1 on the dry bag(s) to hold the tent, air pad, sleeping bag and pillow. They're even light enough to go on that pathetic excuse of a luggage rack our GL1800's have.

·
Registered
422 Posts
FYI, I got a couple of these to hold everything on the luggage rack.

As time passed on my last cross-country trip, I just started Rok-strapping it to the top of my FirstGear Torrent dry duffel on the pillion, less straps to deal with.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Besides picking a good two-person tent you might want to pick up a tarp. Not one of the blue plastic ones you find at home depot but a camping tarp. If you are somewhere very sunny or rainy being able to put up a stand-up shelter tarp to get out of the rain or sun can keep you from going crazy in a little tent. You can also often put the tarp up over your tent and provide a nice big awning. Look into a camping chair too. as you get older sitting on the ground sucks.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
Camping Chairs:
you need to sit in one before you buy it.
I can tell you from experience, that 10 minutes is not enough.
Tried all of the crap from Walmart, none of them comfortable for me.

Was surfing the isles at Tractor Supply and found a Recliner Camping Chair on sale for 60% off.
took it out of the box, set it up, and almost as good as my Recliner at home.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a 2 man tent from Wallmart it is OK but not tall enough. I stand in the door way and put my pants on. I have a cheap chair that rides with my leather cloths bag, strapped to the trunk rack. The folding chair is very uncomfortable if you sit in it for long time. The last time I used it was in a parking lot to eat my lunch from a drive thru. The one item I like is my sleeping pad and I think most important. Find yourself a good pad that is easy to inflate and thick enough to sleep on with out touching the ground. One item I have is a Radio from Ridged I got it with some battery powered tools. I go to sleep listening to it and scan thru the stations looking for music I like. Tamathumper how long does it take to put that chair together? My back is worn out so some chairs just hurt, most times I sit at a table that is in the camp site's before I pass out for the night. Here's a couple pictures of my set up, I do one nighters and just sleep in camp.
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1304.JPG

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but If you travel to New Mexico and plan to stay more than just the day you will be required to quarantine for 15 days before any other activity. I know this as I have a friend that lives in Northern NM and keeps us updated on the current state as we want to go down and try to stay for a week or so in Santa Fe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are great! Thanks for the link thumper. Looks very useful.
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but If you travel to New Mexico and plan to stay more than just the day you will be required to quarantine for 15 days before any other activity. I know this as I have a friend that lives in Northern NM and keeps us updated on the current state as we want to go down and try to stay for a week or so in Santa Fe.
Biker 1 I do, I live in the land of entrapment so I've been quarantined with the rest of the knit wits. But thanks for the heads up for folks who dont know!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah and biker 1 , when you you get here welcome to new Mexico and enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shoot, I'll do one better if you drop a line saying you're in Santa fe I'll meet you up there and buy you a cup . Its only about 140 miles away!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2 man tent from Wallmart it is OK but not tall enough. I stand in the door way and put my pants on. I have a cheap chair that rides with my leather cloths bag, strapped to the trunk rack. The folding chair is very uncomfortable if you sit in it for long time. The last time I used it was in a parking lot to eat my lunch from a drive thru. The one item I like is my sleeping pad and I think most important. Find yourself a good pad that is easy to inflate and thick enough to sleep on with out touching the ground. One item I have is a Radio from Ridged I got it with some battery powered tools. I go to sleep listening to it and scan thru the stations looking for music I like. Tamathumper how long does it take to put that chair together? My back is worn out so some chairs just hurt, most times I sit at a table that is in the camp site's before I pass out for the night. Here's a couple pictures of my set up, I do one nighters and just sleep in camp. View attachment 323298 View attachment 323297 View attachment 323298
Awesome Jerry, I to suffer from a bad back. I grew up a horseback and sleeping on the ground. Some people might say poor white trash but I wouldn't trade my raising with anyone

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
Shoot, I'll do one better if you drop a line saying you're in Santa fe I'll meet you up there and buy you a cup . Its only about 140 miles away!
I used to live in Cedar Crest, NM
I suppose you have seen that once or twice?
there used to be a famous restaurant there called "The Red Barn".....
the uphill property line of that restaurant , and the lower property line of my home used the same barbed wire fence :)

.we really enjoyed our time there, but alas, life intervened and we moved to Aridzona where I stayed for 20 years.
Retired from Phx Fire Dept.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes sir! I was born in az but for some unknown reason have returned to nm
I've lived in safford, Tucson, Holbrook, josephcity, showlow, snowflake, kingman. Mostly for work. But the Grand Canyon state is deep in my heart. Back in the 1980s I was paid by former secretary of the interior to shoot wild horses off the kibabab plateau. What a controversy that would ignite now. Bruce Babbitt from the babbit ranch. I was there trapping Bob cat and coyote with my grandad. White trash my friend white trash!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You cedar Crest guys are a little more well financed than myself but anyone whom chooses the country life in my book gets a few extra stars!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And gl.......... I would bet there are not too many of us left who remember boolean algebra! Or Pascal, fortran, cobol.......etc!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts